2020 Hurling and Football Club Championships

12 senior teams is enough. Works well in Wexford, Kilkenny etc. Tipp would have teams capable of winning Intermediate All-Ireland’s on a regular basis at those numbers.

Agreed, proper bite to rivarly in tipp. Themselves and laois number 1 club rivalries.

But if their not good enough to compete at senior surely aiming to win an intermediate would get players more on track.

Top 4 in limerick as good as anything in Ireland, massive gap then though. Are their any clubs who could cut the gap?

Mungret have the pick if they can get their shit together and Garryspillane are supposed to have a serious crop coming on line in the next few years. By all accounts the NAP conveyor belt is slowing. It’s all cyclical I guess

The rivalries in Laois hurling appear to be fantastic, but also a slight bit dangerous😅

Tipperary at 16 teams is perfect giving it has a large geographical size compared to other counties.

Many people scoff at divisional structure in Tipp but as said before it provides great competitive Hurling and rivalries to match.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean by compete? Why would you want to limit the senior championship to a handful of teams with the depth of talent to win it?

Slight?! Tis fucking murderous at times.

Of the 16 senior teams in Tipp, there is little chance of any hammerings that are likely to happen in Linericks elitist top 6 championship.

I know what I’d prefer.

1 Like

Sure of their out of their depth why compete senior?

But how are they out of their depth? If they are out of their depth they will be relegated.

16 teams is too many, therefore 4 or even more could be out of their depth. Play each other in relegation semis and 3 stay up. Do you think their is 16 teams of senior standard in Clare?

Why do you care so much about what other counties do with their championships? Since Tipp went to Senior A and Senior B there are rarely big hammerings, and two unfancied teams have won the last two years in Senior A

What is the standard to be senior? In Clare teams like Kilmaley went from a senior county semi final replay 2015 to intermediate in 2017 to another county senior semi final in 2018, Feakle went from a county semi final to relegation in two years. The likes of Wolfe Tones and Whitegate along with the recently relegated Tulla are all competitive sides who have taken a number of scalps over the last five years or so despite not getting past the quarter finals. By reducing the numbers further they will be stuck in an intermediate championship where they will drop to the standard they are playing against rather than trying to rise to the standard of senior hurling.

I see St Martins v Oulart is the first live game on TG4 on July 17th. Should be a good game.

2 Likes

Just an opinion mate, entitled to it.

Wolfe tones and whitegate definetely should be intermediate.

Yet both have beaten Cratloe and Clonlara in championship hurling in the last few years.

They won’t be beating anyone this year.