2021 All Ireland Football-Covid is a cod tyrone style

The football semis were compelling as the four sides have regressed to a similar level. The equivalent of the 2013 Hurling championship.

1 Like

Football semis and finals are nearly always exciting and dramatic games when mayo are playing. They bring out the best in the sport.

2 Likes

Yeah I think there’s a madness to mayo as opposed to a real concrete plan …whereas Tyrone will come with precise plan to execute …it will be interesting

Smashing piece of writing from you again there pal. Although being from Limerick your natural Kerry bias is showing through again.

4 Likes

I think the plan was clear enough, don’t concede early goals at all costs. It worked for them. They’ve super quality on the bench and seem to plan to finish with their stronger team.

I think that was a byproduct of the impact on their preparations with Covid. Morgan was one of those who had Covid so would not have trained until last week. Time now to rectify this on the training pitch over the next couple of weeks.

Kickouts have been a big issue for Tyrone the past couple of years but they were very good on this aspect v both Donegal and Monaghan.

This is simply writing a narrative based on the result. Kerry missed an absolute sitter to win it, and were the team coming back at the end of extra time. They were brave to a fault, just learned a lesson.

The Paudie Clifford fisted effort?

Was a very bad miss.

1 Like

I’d say they did second half of both games. If they go seven points down against Tyrone, you can stick a fork in them though.

I think Dublins attack had become so stale that they played a huge part in the no goals … Mayo were forced to go for it in second half and that’s when they are so dangerous.

Pure shite. The closeness kept me into the last game, and I watched the other semi and the Connacht final (cos I got home from work early). Other than that I’ve watched none of it. A terrible championship

1 Like

Agree they are dangerous when they go for it. It’s why they always rattled Dublin. They attacked them rather than standing back trying to defend them. They’re fucking great to watch in full flow, coming in waves.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t say that. Tyrone have a habit of letting teams back in.

5 up against Kerry in ET. Should have killed it.
Should have closed Donegal out a lot easier when they went down to 14, was level in the last 10 minutes and Tyrone ended up down to 14 themselves.
Let Monaghan back in it after a commanding first half display in the Ulster final.

Tyrone need a 70 minute performance like they did against Kerry but they need more numbers up in attack which I think they will do. The strategy was stopping Kerry’s attack the last day, it worked but I think we will need a lot more in attack against Mayo.

McCurry will be the MOTM in the final.

1 Like

They’re brilliant but it’s like they need to be chasing something before they really get going … you’d worry Tyrone will be have a ploy for this if they get ahead …the way they took the heat out of the 10 minutes sin bin for McCurry was very impressive in a cynical way…there was about 3 minutes football played in the 10…they actually scored more than Kerry in that time

I think he’ll do very well. He’s finishing with confidence, didn’t have much against Kerry, was very quiet but still hit two points from play. His confidence is sky high.

I thought McCurry was exceptional on and off the ball once he found his feet. He has the measure of Croke Park now

3 Likes

On the usual narrative about Kerry footballers.

Who are the footballers on that team other than Clifford?

For me it’s pretty much a team of runners. P Clifford, O’Brien, Moynihan, O’Connor are all runners. I think Brolly pretty much summed up Sean O’Shea, brilliant free taker, a worker and can take scores if you give him time and space but he’s not got that x factor if he is marked tightly.

I think Tyrone on balance have classier players over the squad - I think McKenna, McCurry, Bradley, Canavan all have that type of x factor that can hurt teams. McShane has looked rusty since his comeback but he was outstanding and changed the game when he came in on Saturday.

If he is coming into form I think we’ll beat Mayo, physically he’s a monster of a man, his movement is terrific and he can score either foot, he’s a heavy scorer from play and having both himself and McCurry inside flying will make life really difficult for Mayo.

Also frees up Donnelly out the pitch.

1 Like

The number seven for Kerry played a very brave game in the amount of running he did. It takes courage to work that hard.
I’d just mention that free the Tyrone goalie scored. I have never seen a football kicked further off the ground. Absolutely remarkable free.

1 Like

I predicted Mayo and Tyrone to win their semi-finals, mate.