2021 All Ireland Hurling Final - Cork v Limerick - New Money vs Old Money - Barbados Dollar vs Queens shilling

There was only about 30k there with ten minutes to go

10 Likes

Drinking is for after games…id a coffee and a boost bar in my seat at 2.30 and it was the finest.

3 Likes

Did they pump noise in through the speakers for the parade?

4 Likes

Oooooooooooooft

I was one of them anyway. I even stayed for the presentation pal

1 Like

Fair play.

It’s still hard to take in. Coming out of Nowlan Park in 2017 if someone had said we’d win 3 of the next 4 All-Ireland’s you’d have been carted off by the men in white coats.

It’s five mins ago we were being beaten by desperately poor Offaly teams in qualifiers in 2003 and 2008. Struggling to beat Kerry and Westmeath in qualifiers. Tipp in 2009 in the semi final, the nadir. The semi final defeats in 2013 and 2014. Countless hammering from Cork, Tipp, Kilkenny and everyone else. Nowhere near winning a provinicial title, never mind All-Ireland’s.

Just blessed to be living through this era. Because this is as good as it’ll ever get for Limerick. We’ll never get a group of players like this collectively together again. The likes of Quaid, Finn, Hannon, Hayes and Lynch are some of our greatest ever players.

Cork will eventually return to the summit. They’ve sorted out their underage and by sheer weight of numbers and history, tradition they’ll be back sooner or later.

Kingston is a decent guy but it was a crazy set up yesterday. The full backline was getting eaten alive and they all re-emerged for the second half. Downey was roasted by Billy Ryan when it went in low, Kilkenny made a hero of him by chucking it in high in the second half and extra time. He’s just very cumbersome and not the most agile, he was brutally exposed yesterday.

Even the half back line yesterday. Coleman hasn’t much of a physical presence while Cadogan is on the verge of retirement. There didn’t seem to be much of a plan. Manic, unrelenting work rate is the minimum requirement to beat this Limerick team and Cork came nowhere near that. Waterford brought it for 20 minutes in the semi final.

When a team wins back to back the talk is always that this team will dominate for years. It rarely works out like that, bar Kilkenny under Cody or the Dubs under Gavin.

At half time in the Munster final was anyone saying this team was unbeatable?

Clearly the best team at the moment but the panel will evolve. If Kiely and Kinnerk step away they’ll be impossible to replace. Currid wasn’t there in 2019 and look what happened. Not giving the poor mouth but it wouldn’t take a huge drop off to slip back towards the pack.

Limerick have emerged at a good time. It’s the weakest Kilkenny team in 20 years. Some of the Tipp “hall of famers” are nearing the end and they’ll need rebuilding. Cork still a few players short while Harnedy and Horgan are getting on. Waterford are the second best team in the country but if Cahill goes… the rest look a good bit off it.

If Limerick went into next year without Kiely, Kinnerk, Currid, Quaid and Mul - as could possibly happen but hopefully won’t - it would lead to a huge levelling off and offer a fair bit of hope to everyone else.

Everything is in place there at the moment. The management, players, attitude around the squad to pick off another one or two but every empire tumbles eventually.

Just going to enjoy this team for as long as possible. Blink and we’ll be back to the bad days.

30 Likes

Appeared much closer to that figure managed to get tickets than the official 40,000 i thought.

Yeah you’re dead right to savour it. A great thing from a Limerick perspective is that even if Limerick do go back to having a few bad years, even decades (don’t think it will happen but could) this team will always have an everlasting legacy. This is truly one of the greatest hurling teams of all time.

6 Likes

John Kiely must be an incredible man and very good at time management to handle two pressurised roles like school principal of an all-boys secondary school and Limerick senior hurling manager. Neither an easy task on their own.

Imagine Davy doing both at once.

3 Likes

Out of interest, who would be the likely options to replace Kiely if/when he steps away.

Hard to know. I’d guess for continuity they’d look for an internal appointment, someone with knowledge and experience of the set-up, but how do you replace someone like Kinnerk. Pretty much everyone is a downgrade.

Not sure Quilty, Cunningham or co would have an interest. It’s a great job when you are winning but I’d imagine intercounty management is a very lonely place when results aren’t going your way and you’re copping loads of flak. Stressful too I’d imagine.

Already has a David Moyes/Dessie Farrell vibe off it.

1 Like

There were murmurs in Clare before the final that Cunningham could be defecting to Galway next season.

The one thing about the current set-up is that’s a very tight knit unit. Practically nothing ever leaks out of the squad, you’d hear odd snippets about form etc but generally it’s a bit of an omertà which is the way it has to be for trust.

Kiely doesn’t really carry hangers on so obviously the lads he has in with him bring something to the table. Intercounty management is a savage commitment. You probably have to be wired differently to commit. It’s like running a small business.

1 Like

I’m quite sure now he is handsomely compensated for both.
it would take the edge off a bit, that and having x3 months in the summer to focus on the latter…

The key is who you can delegate to tho,. yer man with the glasses seemed to be running the show on the line and during the water breaks yesterday, in sure he has decent staff as well in the school…
if you have that done and established , he is merely a facilitator then

2 Likes

It’s all about delegation

2 Likes

As a former mentor of mine use to tell me - 3 Ds of management

Decide
Delegate
Disappear

5 Likes

There are no obvious candidates, which is a slight concern possibly. Because they will leave eventually.

In an ideal world, you’d have some inside now learning the ropes as Kiely himself did.

And you’d hope that we continue to develop coaches & managers in the academy as we do with players. But still a bit away from an obvious replacement.

Lads here talking about Cork in 2025. Cork won’t win an All Ireland in the next 10 years.

1 Like

Agent O’Neill may return when he’s finished his mission in Galway :eyes:

2 Likes