2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

What are the negatives in Kerry with their divisional teams? It seems it works really well. It definitely benefits their county teams as more players are able to play at a higher
Level.

A divisional team wouldn’t garner the same support as a proper club team. You’d always rather see the club come out on top. You also end up with scenarios like in 2015 where Legion ended up playing in Munster months after exiting the Kerry championship.

Unfair on the other clubs. Not so bad when its mostly big urban clubs in senior in Kerry anyway but if Templenoe for example got to a county final its a bit ridiculous they have to beat a combination of 10 clubs or whatever

A bit like Mullinalaghta in Longford.

I guess it benefits the Kerry county team. I’d say the divisional teams in Kerry get a better support than most counties.

They are a lovely ties the Kerry squad have on them.

The one on Clifford against Dublin was always going to be a free, it wasn’t controversial at all. If you put it in slow motion yes it may be harsh but the game isn’t played in slow motion, on face value it looks like a free. If it happened closer in he wouldn’t have given it IMO, I’d say the ref was thinking you’ve got to be kidding me when SOS pinged it over the black spot. On a separate note with that free, Clifford did unbelievably well to hold on to the ball in that moment, with Byrne grabbing it

1 Like

Its a killer if you are a good club team and bate by a divisional team in championship.But its accepted in Kerry as its always been that way. In the early 00s south kerry had an unraleable team and would have denied a lot of clubs their shot at glory.
The divisions themselves are actually completely unfair as well. Some might have 20 plus, some might have less than ten.
Generally what happens is a divisional team is really good because there is a particular club team driving them, then that club makes senior and the divisional team falls away because they have lost 4 or 5 of their best players.
That south kerry team was a bit of a freak they just had loads of lads from all the small clubs, and they are the biggest division.

1 Like

I see. They do sort of have two championships in Kerry now though don’t they?

I wonder how they’ll feel when East Kerry hoover up about 9 of the next 10 championships

If a club team wins the main championship they advance to Munster. If a divisional team wins the winner of the less prestigious club championship represents Kerry.

Do some of the inter clubs play in the senior club championship then?

Divisional teams should be allowed in All Ireland club i think.

No they shouldn’t. It would be an abomination if Imokilly or East Kerry rocked on to an All Ireland Club final bringing about 10 supporters.

5 Likes

Just 8 teams play in the club championship.

Kerry clubs would judge themselves off League performance more than championship which is a little odd. You’d often hear them describe themselves as ‘Division 2’ instead of ‘intermediate’ for instance.

1 Like

That’s the only way a cork side will win the Munster club hurling championship again if ye are allowed enter the cork senior hurling team

Ya you would notice they’d mention the division alright

Templenoe rose up from division 5 I think.

Shuckroo and Maurice lording midfield

No worse than any of the Dublin clubs