2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

Not sure it’s worth getting that worked up over myself.

The real focus here should be the Dublin super clubs and their behaviour

1 Like

So the university rule is a complete irrelevance?

Its very wrong what he is doing in my view

What Crokes have done is much more detrimental and wrong

1 Like

Apologies, it did and does happen, but it was never an issue really. Just got on with it. It wasn’t unhealthy, and it wasn’t hugely widespread.

I disagree

Your right on the church and pub but I’d say well over 90% of kids still go to school in the parish they live in. Presuming population allows then it remains a direct link to a club continuing.

Of the young lads that have filtered onto our senior team I’d say they still have as much a commitment as previous generations, the problem is there is not enough of them due to rural depopulation.

On the whole Ireland is still parochial, even in young people. Obviously you’ll have lads carousing to festivals, horse racing and rubby matches but that has always been the way.

First question is still what club or parish are you from.

I think it wasn’t an issue because it was acceptable in rugby which is fine. The reason why the big rugby clubs will always be the same big rugby clubs is because if you’re good you won’t be playing for the smaller club for long.

In GAA you get tiny parishes and clubs that were junior 20 years ago winning senior county titles. That’s the best thing about the GAA that things like that are possible because if you get a few good groups of players you can achieve things which you thought were impossible.

6 Likes

Bingo.

Kiladangan we’re junior A 20 years ago and are now the strongest club in Tipperary.
This cannot happen without a strong parish rule.

4 Likes

Maybe, but I’d equally argue that if a small rugby club gets an outstanding side through the ranks, they would tend to stick together.
It’s not either or, though I take your point. In truth, rugby clubs need a bigger population base to survive by and large, donuts not necessarily comparing like with like.

1 Like

It’s impossible for a Junior rugby club to climb up to even half way up the AIL between losing players to schools, professional clubs, bigger clubs and also the costs that come with being senior.

Difficult, yes. Impossible, no.
Most club transfers are healthy imo.
Travel is the other big killer.

Nothing is impossible and all that but any GAA club can compete for a senior county title. This is down to parish structures. We give it away then it’s ball burst.

You don’t give it away. You open it to being stretched a bit. In any case, it shouldn’t override individual freedom of choice.

The AIL structure would finish the gaa club scene more than transfers tbh.

It’s probably already been stretched enough if you ask me. There’s already parents bringing kids back to their home clubs or slightly bending parish boundaries. That’s fine as long as the club they start with is the same they play with through the ranks.

At adult level if a player moves an hour or two away with work, family etc then by all means they also should be entitled to move.

If a player can play with a county for 8 months then not tog for 5/6 games this is not ok.

Are you serious?

This is true. But there are a much smaller number of rugby clubs. Number of GAA clubs and grades means the best Junior B could go in the road to a Junior A club and Junior B won’t field then

We lost loads of lads over the years who wanted to go for a few seasons and play a higher level, best of luck and see you again and vast majority came back. The one thing it does do, it fairly sharpens your approach to coaching and dealing with players right… You act the bollocks one season and there could be an exodus… In general though most players would stick with their local club unless move with work or whatever

3 Likes

Many lads here play as ringers when in college?

I’d agree with latter two points. But for poor teams I’m not sure how much fun it is outside of top divisions. Loads of travel and a lot of dead rubbers. It’s a well organised competition but lots of scope to improve it