2022 All Ireland football final - The Yerras V The Fancy Dans. Name your kitchen

Its very easy here to see the lads on the ground working with their clubs, and the fellas who haven’t a fucking breeze how things work and have heads full of notions.

1 Like

The issue is with Crokes. Their behaviour here stinks.

2 Likes

We’re just giving a lad who lives locally a run out. The club is all inclusive and welcomes all players, of any level.

2 Likes

I’d love to see some of these muldoons who are great men for putting up the nets in a field in some townland try run a club like Crokes …the ignorance is astounding …

1 Like

There are some wonderful people involved and initiatives like this one

The Friday Sports Club meets on Fridays at 4pm in the paddock in Crokes and caters for those kids that might struggle or cannot attend regular training sessions within the Club. Typically kids within this group have a disability but all kids are welcome and many siblings attend. The Friday slot facilitates kids that are often not invited to playdates.

5 Likes

You’d have to imagine the best thing for a club like Crokes, would be to play some of their own players for the Club of Crokes.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a delicate balancing act. Those at the top table need to exercise a bit of tact and diplomacy.

Have to be seen to do your best to keep the player while also not alienating him or those who support him leaving. As you know, in clubs you get all sorts and very often it’s those who shout loudest who get their way.

IMO the best thing would be to try and convince him to stay, let it play out for another week or two, and if he still won’t budge then say the club has taken the very difficult decision to reluctantly accede to his request. He has represented the club with distinction, been a great role model for the youngsters etc and, as per his statement last week, we look forward to having Shane back in the club colours sooner rather than later etc.

I can’t see any other way around it.

8 Likes

Yeah I’d say that’s the best thing now.

Just think of it like he’s gone travelling or playing AFL.

@the_man_himself did Ballingarry put up much resistance when Liam Cahill went to Thurles back in the day?

What are Crokes trying to achieve here other than greed and domination? It’s coining money from it’s high membership rates and tariffs and is highly competitive in every grade across both codes. They will be there or thereabouts in the Dublin championship no matter what, so what difference will Shane Walsh substantially make in reality? Imagine the difference he would make to his own club in the Galway intermediate championship.

They need to be called out for what they’ve done as I would consider it highly unlikely that Walsh has initiated this. As Dodgy has said, the damage is done now and will be hard to undo.

That rule is there for a reason, and it’s the right reason, but it’s outdated in it’s composition nowadays and needs amending in form. Parish rule is the same - both are open to legal challenge which would almost certainly be successful. Shane Walsh is over 18 and restriction on his recreational activities, for right or wrong, wouldn’t be entertained by a beak in these days of diversity, inclusion and political correctness.

The GAA need to smarten up here.

2 Likes

This is coming. Mental health isnt far away from being used to push transfers through and in some cases is already being used.

I’m not sure the answer, but a club like crokes tapping up players shouldnt be let pass either

The fact that this is gone so public makes a backtrack that bit harder you’d imagine

1 Like

I don’t think so really but I was younger at the time. We’ve lost a few over the years and generally haven’t put up resistance. You could probably say that’s why most of them ended up coming back.

I’ll never agree with it but one thing I will say for Cahill is that I think he regrets it a lot and I doubt any intercounty manager has been in their own club field and more involved in their club at all levels than Liam Cahill since Waterford got knocked out of the championship and that has been the case for many years now.

4 Likes

Would Ballingarry have still been ok back then?
They won a minor A in 96?

Donal Shelly left and came back too?

Boom …lock the thread .

The lack of resilience in modern society is being summed up by a lot of posters in this thread.

Let the lad play where he wants to play.

If Kilkerrin Clonberne is worth saving as a club, it’ll be saved.

If it isn’t, it won’t.

Either way, t’isn’t the end of the world.

C’est la vie.

It’s very odd that Walsh transfer is being highlighted when there’s lads at it for fcukin years …it would be hilarious if it was walsh who instigated the move …I wouldn’t rule it out …

1 Like

2 minor As in a row in 94 and 95. Think Cahill transferred in 2007 and we still would have been competitive around then yeah. I’d imagine if you went back to 1996 and we were after winning 3 south seniors in the previous 5 years and 2 county minor As you’d think we were set to become a force but unfortunately it didn’t work out like that

A culchie playing for a team in Dublin is fairly soulless really.

I have lived with lads playing in Dublin and their parents might ring them after a game and ask how it went, but really they don’t care. They have no interest really other than making sure their son didn’t get injured.

Whereas a son coming home from their home clubs training would probably be met with a barrage of 20 questions about who was there, who wasn’t there, who’s going well etc. It really means something.

7 Likes

Spot on.

William Mahers injury prob didn’t help?

Killenaule probably had a similar profile in the late 00s.

Mullinahone win one big one then.