2022 European Championships - Munich

This is across a few threads already so no harm have one for it.

Per @Fat_Pox there’s 11 different sports combined in an Olympics style programme.

Sam Bennett 5th today in the cycle.

Women rowers were 2nd yesterday I think.

And McCarthy and O’Donovan won gold today to match their Olympic gold. They’re probably our 2 most successful sports people across all sports right now and get so little credit / limelight for it.

4 Likes

Do you have a time table for Irish participants?

Filter this page for Irish participants. It doesn’t seem to show a full schedule yet but will soon hopefully

1 Like

What a pleasure to turn on the telly at half three this afternoon to unexpectedly find Jerry Kelly commentating on women’s gymnastics apparatus finals on RTE.

One for the Things That Are Right thread.

It’s actually the best argument I can think of for holding All-Irelands in July.

3 Likes

Rhys McLenaghan who bombed out in the Pommel Horse Olympic final last year is now entered in 4 different events from floor to bars. He was a proper Olympic medal prospect but seems to have struggled to recover from it. Hopefully he’ll go well here as he comes across as a grand chap.

He was fighting with the authorities who wouldn’t let him compete in the Commenwealth games and I cant recall how that ended up

He completed in the Commonwealth Games. Was one of two favourites but, like in the Olympics, made an error and lost out. An English lad, not Whitlock who won the Olympics, won it. Can’t remember if he got a medal.

1 Like

Well done Paul O’Donovan and Matt Damon.

Ger fucking Canning on the commentary :rollseyes:

And it’s their fifth ever championship medal…

2 Likes

It was a very enterprising row by the Skibbereen duo.

1 Like

They gave the oars plenty of latitude

2 Likes

@Thomas_Brady and others, here you go

2 Likes

@TheUlteriorMotive Healy and Mawdsley out tomorrow in 400m heats but Rhasidat isn’t. Any idea why?

Apparently she gets a bye based on ranking (according to something I read on twitter , I’ll need to verify it myself )

1 Like

That’ll do. I was worried she’d pull out injured. She’s had a long season so 1 less race is no harm

2 Likes

Working from home could really come into its own tomorrow

1 Like

The break between morning and evening sessions will fit right into your nap schedule too

Up on Tuesday. A bye as @Ralphie said

Irish Athlete Schedule (times listed in Irish time):

Monday 15th

9.00am Shot Put Qualification: Eric Favors

9.30am Women’s Marathon: Fionnuala McCormack, Aoife Cooke, Ann Marie McGlynn

9.40am Men’s 100m Heats: Israel Olatunde

10.30am Men’s Marathon: Hugh Armstrong

6.00pm Men’s 400m Heats: Chris O’Donnell (Top 12 ranking - advances to SF)

6.35pm Women’s 400m Heats: Rhasidat Adeleke (Top 12 ranking - advances to SF), Sharlene Mawdsley, Phil Healy

7.15pm Men’s 1500m Heats: Luke McCann, Andrew Coscoran

Tuesday 16th

9.15am Women’s 1500m Heats: Ciara Mageean, Sarah Healy

11.25am Men’s 400m SF: Chris O’Donnell

1.00pm WOmen’s 400m SF: Rhasidat Adeleke

8.08pm Men’s 5000m Final: Darragh McElhinney, Brian Fay

Wednesday 17th

9.30am Women’s Hep 100mH: Kate O’Connor

10.05am Men’s 400mH Heats: Thomas Barr

10.35am Women’s Hep High Jump: Kate O’Connor

6.54pm Women’s Hep Shot Put: Kate O’Connor

8.10pm Women’s Hep 200m: Kate O’Connor

Thursday 18th

8.20am Women’s 3,000m SC Heats: Eilish Flanagan, Michelle Finn

8.25am Women’s Hep Long Jump: Kate O’Connor

9.10am Men’s 800m Heats: Mark English, John Fitzsimons

9.45am Women’s 800m Heats: Louise Shanahan, Ciara Mageean

10.36am or 12.48pm: Women’s Hep Javelin: Kate O’Connor

11.30am Men’s 200m Heats: Marcus Lawler

8.25pm Women’s 5000m Final: Roisin Flanagan

8.55pm: Women’s Hep 800m Final: Kate O’Connor

Friday 19th

9.00am Men’s 4 x 100m Heats: Marcus Lawler, Israel Olatunde, Leon Reid, Joseph Ojewumi, Mark Smyth, Colin Doyle

10.40am Women’s 4 x 400m Heats: Rhasidat Adeleke, Sophie Becker, Phil Healy, Sharlene Mawdsley, Roisin Harrison, Cliodhna Manning

Saturday 20th

7.43pm Women’s 100mH Heats: Sarah Lavin

Sunday 21st

6.10pm Women’s 100mH SF: Sarah Lavin

7.00pm Men’s 10,000m Final: Hiko Haso. Efrem Gidey

3 Likes

The 2 lads in the 10,000m have some stories behind how they ended up here. It’d be amazing to see one of them even get close to a medal. The media will surely latch onto the stories before the race itself

1 Like

Do you ever wonder if maybe you could have been like the best javeliner in the World if you’d had a go at it when you were young. I know of a young girl who is an underage national champion at it. Her auld lad is in the athletics club so she had a go at it and I mean how many people are you really against in underage womens javelin.

I feel like there are some sports you know you wouldn’t be any use at. You’d know you were fast and you’d know if you could run long distances, and probably you’d know if you were a good jumper or swimmer. Just from general sports and messing as a kid.
You’d need to be a certain build to be like a high jumper, or even a shot putter.

But something like javelin or pole vault (although you probably need to be tall for them). Maybe discus could be the sweet spot.

And then theres the stupid sports like archery or shooting or whatever, which i would consider practice sports. I mean I could be the greastest archer of all time if I had grown up doing that instead of gah and soccer.

Then rich person sports like show jumping where pretty much anyone could be good if they were given the training young and a million dollar horse.

And winter sports which again we would never get a chance to try, like that skelton thing seems like its just a case of being mental enough to do it.

I know I’d never be good at basketball, but maybe I could have been an all time ice hockey player. I think I’d be good at baseball or cricket. But a lot of people play them. You probably want something niche where you aren’t up against too many people. I imagine i’d be class at road bowling, but who gives a fuck about that.

Random bizarre sunday night thoughts.