2022 European Championships - Munich

A decent run.

Jeremiah Azu leading out Britain in the relay.

A thunder and lightnin’ is no lark…

1 Like

Poles nick a bronze. Thirteen medals, a record.

1 Like

They’ll keep them in their Pole vault.

Ah that’s a savage way to finish the championships.

A brilliant weeks entertainment.

2 Likes

And another! Pia wins gold in the hurdles and runs the first leg of the relay twenty minutes later.

1 Like

The house is brought down. Germany win the final event.

The unbackable favourites Britain make a mess of it.

The Pole vault needs to make room for another silver medal @balbec.

As predicted seven weeks ago.

The corresponding thread from 2018 had 79 posts.

The GAA has left the field open and Athletics has destroyed it.

We can thank the GAA for Ireland being in the first page of medal table in the 2036 Olympics. Looking forward to it.

The 2018 Championships where we finished joint last with zero medals wasn’t a big conversation-starter :man_shrugging:t2: Who’da thunk?

1 Like

Thomas Barr got a bronze medal in the 400 metres hurdles.

2 Likes

Is Con Murphy still on the books in RTE or is his gravitas only required at major sporting events? The thinking man’s Darren Frehill

As far as I know he hasn’t been part of RTE staff since about 2015 or so but he tends to pop up occasionally on the national broadcaster for major athletics competitions on a freelance basis. He was definitely commentating as part of the RTE team for the 2016 Olympics despite having left by then.

For Tokyo I think he was doing the world feed as was Ryle Nugent rather than being part of the RTE team.

I always liked his relaxed style.

An improvement but disappointing to finish behind the Finish.

Rhys McLeneghan has just won a World Championship Gold on the pommel horse on RTE2. He seemed to have gone off the boil completely since the Olympics. Fair play to him

1 Like

Darren Frehill in the hotseat here. This could get interesting

Some months ago I had half a notion of attending this as a bucket list type of thing, it’s in Liverpool which is as close as a major competition will ever get to these shores.

Brilliant stuff by Rhys.

3 Likes

I remember he was distraught after the Olympics. Fair play to him for getting back on the horse.

4 Likes