2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

I donā€™t mind that to be honest, as long as he keeps it to the facts and heā€™s not missing something happening.

Depending on who heā€™s paired with, Iā€™d much rather hear him talk about that kind of thing than most of them give their opinion.

I still havenā€™t bothered/managed to tune in ITV but I switch over to BBC on occasion. Iā€™ve caught Vincent Kompanyā€™s punditry & found him very good. He wasnā€™t giving the standard soundbites & you could tell heā€™s gone down the coaching/managing route. Actually making decent observations that may not have been obvious when watching.

He had a good piece on Rabiotā€™s headed equaliser for France the other night against Australia. Pinpointed that the Aussie right winger Leckie was the front post defender for the initial corner from the France right, as heā€™s tall and good in the air. The midget left back, meanwhile, was posted on the edge of the box for any second ball. After Leckie cleared the initial corner away, they got caught on the second phase cross back in from the other side because he didnā€™t come out in the defensive line alongside his centre backs. He kinda made a diagonal burst back towards his right wing spot. The left centre back should have been scanning behind him but he didnā€™t and Rabiot ghosted in for the free header in the space vacated by Leckie. A breakdown in structure during transition, as Kompany put it.

Whoā€™s this co-commentator with Eamesy?

Fuck it but Iā€™m looking forward to this one.

Itā€™s Pat Fenlon.

Another fucking LOI ham. Iā€™d take Trigger over this.

1 Like

Pat Fenlon a great man to run out of breath after rushing in as many words as possible into a sentence.

The South American sides have been dreadful. Boring, turgid football

Nunez needs to make contact here.

Classic Nunez there.

Nunez :rofl:

Go with your left son

Paulo Bento is going to blow a gasket here if another decision goes against them

Uruguay have never been exactly free-flowing. Have some good players in the middle though, Valverde is class. Bentancur is classy too.

I hope Brazil arent so conservative

I left an open door there for @Cheasty

All this LOI-ification wouldnā€™t be happening without the example of the split season. McBennett thinks people want bland and local. That they want inferior own brand over the internationally famous products that are popular because they taste good. De Valera thought that too. That we didnā€™t want Coca-Cola because we had Cavan Cola.

BBC NI used to think that when theyā€™d switch over to Belfast for the shit Ulster-centric analysis and commentary before a Five Nations rugby match. Thankfully budget cuts ended up actually working for the viewer for a change in that case when the practice was abandoned and it was cheaper to take the feed from London.

When USA '94 happened the Brits joked about the coverage on US TV. Itā€™d be some guy who played indoor sawker saying the shorter players would have an advantage in the heat because theyā€™re further from the sun. We now have the Irish equivalent of this.

Where does this all end? Now that the entire staff of the Sunday Game have left to take inter-county managerial jobs, is the new panel to be made up entirely of lads who won a Wicklow county title in 2011 or a Kerry intermediate title in 2006 or lost three Offaly senior hurling finals in the 2010s or a lady who won a Dublin intermediate camogie title in 2013? Mick here played for the Underdogs against Galway in 2009. Heā€™s our new senior analyst to replace Joe Brolly.

6 Likes

Fuck me, Oliveraā€¦

Its coming

Heavy pass from Olivera, good break.

This lad Pellestri was 24 ten minutes ago but heā€™s now 20 according to Eames or whoever this is.

Heā€™s had the director in the ear

I see Jordan Peterson is managing South Korea.