2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Is 6 minutes the new minimum? Not much has happened here

Once the Swiss got the lead that was it, Switzerland were able to sit in. The joy Cameroon were getting was in those spaces in behind.

Cameroonā€™s defence have been good tbf. But lack a progressive midfielder.

This has been incredibly meek from Cameroon, even taking into account Switzerland have managed it well

Seferovic sitter watch

Delighted for the Power Cube and his 41 inch thighs :muscle:

RTE have a very large squad but it lacks quality.

How many main commentators have they used so far? 6?

Maloney, Curran, Hamilton, Kenny, Mullaney, Eamesā€¦any more? Has Ger Canning done one?

A load of co-commentators too and a broad range of pundits.

Iā€™ll ponder this on my stroll down to the village for lunch.

Who?

I havenā€™t heard Stephen Alkin yet except on a Dunnes Stores ad.

Uruguay have a very good team on paper and can afford to leave Cavani and Ugarte on the bench. Coates another good defender on the bench.

Their coverage is very bland. Kenny offers something as a likeable oddball, Kevin Doyle is sound and Didi has a nice bit of cut to him but apart from that flip all. Stephen Kelly is a nice but extremely boring fellow

2 Likes

If Uruguay concede a few goals here they may as well get their coates

1 Like

Richie is very annoying

Cathal Mullaney apparently. He did the Denmark-Tunisia stalemate the other day and was a cut above their other commentators.

1 Like

Yeah, 6 commentators is right, thank fuck Canning hasnā€™t done any.

Hamilton & Moloney out there with Ronnie & Houghton. Ronnie is having a shocker of a tournament so far.

Mullaney seemed good but heā€™s only done one game. I like Curran aswell.

Then you have Byrne, Cawley, Kelly, Cunningham, Doyle, Given, Oā€™Gorman, Sadlier, Brady, Hamann as co-commentators/pundits.

1 Like

Agreed. Think Didi is the only reason to watch it tbh. He often has an interesting or controversial take or randomly eviscerates someone.

I watch it for the football.

1 Like

You watch the studio coverage for the football? Weird. I watch the matches for the football.

Has Karen Duggan had much of a look in yet?

Iā€™m labouring the point on Curran, but I just think he needs to shut up a bit and he doesnā€™t have a great commentary voice either. Heā€™s part of the LOIfication of the coverage and I find he tries to ingratiate himself to that audience too much. Thereā€™s a lot ofā€¦LOI followers might remember him from from a Europa League qualifier in 2019 when he played for Norwegian side Molde against Dundalk. He then sealed a move to Dutch side Ajax off the back of that European campaign and heā€™s nowā€¦blah blah blah. The gameā€™s going on & he trying to display his knowledge & interest too much. Commentators should commentate primarily. I personally should be working in RTƉ as Director of Sport.

7 Likes

South Koreaā€™s back 5:

Kim,
Kim, Kim, Kim, Kim

1 Like

George Hamilton just brings that big game feel to proceedings thats really lacking with the rest.

The optimum commentary rota would probably see Stephen Alkin on duty at 10am, Ger Canning at 1pm, Maloney at 4pm with George getting the big one at 7.

For co comms Iā€™d give Ronnie the 1pm slot, Ray Houghton 4pm and Jim Beglin the 7 kick off. The early 10am slot could be a freelance game for Cawley/Stuey/INSERT LOI HEAD HERE.