2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Think Wales struck on a structure a few years back that kind of gave Bale and Ramsey free roles with a shape/solid base around them. 3 centre backs with wing backs that could become a back 5 without the ball, a centre midfield 2 of Allen plus 1 more (Ampadu) and then Bale and Ramsey ahead of that and 1 main striker that could be a cart horse (Moore, Vokes etc or a speedster James). Ramsey could drop back and make it a midfield 3 on occasion and it’d vary between 3-4-2-1 or 3-5-1-1.

Even though Bale and Ramsey didn’t have too many defensive responsibilities it worked well enough, as they’d enough around them and they carried a threat themselves, got them up the pitch and regularly produced individual brilliance. But the two lads are unfit/past it/lacking match fitness and Allen’s injury has been a big miss for them too. Wilson is midfield is a flaky enough operator and Ampadu was trying to repel a lot of attacks himself.

They used the same structure more or less but were basically treading water and didn’t have the legs/energy to get around the pitch and got steamrollered in midfield again, especially with Bale and Ramsey on the periphery. The US did the same to them the other night for the first half and it was only bringing Moore on and going direct that got them back into the game.

England are expected to be unchanged tonight but the likes of Foden will probably be unleashed against Wales. I think Wales could be on the end of a hiding, if they’re that disjointed.

5 Likes

Irans long range shooting was of really good quality. Either rattled the woodwork, really narrow misses, world class save or goal were the outcomes. Nice to see fellas willing to have a pop and being rewarded.

Kenny doesnt think its a red cos your man wasnt murdered stone dead :smile:

Kenny Cunningham is a strange bloke,

Doesn’t think Hennessy’s red was near a red!

@Bandage is right though

I’ve ebbed and flowed on my view of these group stages. The first half of games have been woeful in most games before coming alive in the 2nd half.

I still fear the knock out games in this WC will be very very cagey with lots going to penalties.

1 Like

There wont be a Mick Wallace effigy burned in Tehran tonight

This Doyle lad in the studio seems a bit of a stook. He’s spent his time burbling along referring to “this evening” 3 times at a minimum….

It’s 11 o’clock in the morning here Kevin and about lunch time in Doha……

1 Like

The second round of group fixtures is probably the best for producing good matches. Teams are often cagey in the first game, not wanting to lose but after seeing the first round of results, the second game often is as pretty much pure knockout as they come.

For example, Wales would have thought that, for them to go through, they had to beat Iran as they looked to be the weakest team in the group. With England looking strong and 4 points minimum being required, this is the game they had to win, a draw probably wouldn’t cut it. Obviously Iran had to win this or they’d be against it because even on 4 points, their goal difference is now going to be shit.

So Wales left themselves really really open in going for the win and Iran dominated by and large. Now, maybe Wales could have sneaked something because Iran had committed bodies forward and Wales were leaving 2 or 3 up top the whole time but it never really looked likely.

Once you get to the knockout stages, some teams play not to lose and for penalties whereas the group stages, draws aren’t really enough, you need to win at least one game (why 16/32-team formats are so much better than the 24 in the Euros imo).

4 Likes

Ah here. Peter, Doyler and Kenny are a rock solid team. Im sure we’ll have to endure sadlier the soppy prick and two bints who’ve played a lower level of football than @bandage later on

1 Like

I have Senegal -1 here

I thought the white sections were empty seats but it’s actually just lads wearing towels

1 Like

Very flappy from the goalkeeper, Senegal actually should have scored.

Mate, you cant allow such a thing to send you into a depression. Find joy somewhere else, but celebrate this for what it is.

The whole line of Welsh players falling to the ground after the first goal might be a great sporting moments photo.

1 Like

Iran deservedly won that game, they’re ranked 20th in the world for a reason

It’s time to turn the Page

Well this is rubbish

Very impressive. Far superior to the quislings of Wales

1 Like

I can see this Qatar keeper being hilarious if the right ball is played in