2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Saw him on the ground there at the end, he absolutely emptied himself and definitely went through the pain barrier there. He just takes up positions both offensively and defensively that KDB couldnā€™t even fathom, every pass looks easy with the clever spaces he picks up and his weight of pass and timing of release is always perfect. He is also seemingly completely one-footed, the way he uses the outside of his right boot makes him impossible to close as he is carrying the ball with it, he just flicks his passes away with it.

Iā€™d say he has the best attributes of both Xavi and Iniesta and is probably better in a battle.

1 Like

I wonder what he was telling Hazard, ā€˜drift wide to the left and take on your man?ā€™

It did fly at him and hit him on chest though after completely looking like lovren would get it. Those are commonly missed. It was just the fact they all came together and he has a big hangdog sad looking face.

1 Like

Coaches are telling him for years to lose a few kilos and he never has, I wonder if he is lighter on his feet does he organise himself there.

Ah definitely a sluggishness and he gets to the one with the great tackle too if he is a bit quicker.

1 Like

Ohhhh, look at me, if it shows that Iā€™m bawling on worldwide TV after my country went out of world cup, itā€™ll show Iā€™m a great fella who loves me country.

Fuck off you 20 stone pussy.

A few weeks at the beach now until the world cup is over for the lads knocked out

They played brilliantly against Belgium in the group too. Really ought to have won that game. I think the emotion of it all actually helped them in a way. Like when the limited enough Munster rugby team of 2016/17 went on a brilliant run after the untimely death of Anthony Foley. Ultimately they came unstuck against better quality opposition in a European semi-final too.

1 Like

Was only thinking this myself on my way home from work. The Spanish would be at slight risk in the unlikely event that they lose to Japan. Germany do have a history of winning games 8-0 at a World CupšŸ‘€

The doom/negativity of Ray and Ronnie can be a bit draining

As they played with distinction for Liverpool Football Club, I suppose the modern game does not really appeal to them and is a constant let down compared to what they saw in training on a daily basis

2 Likes

Itā€™s still shaping up for Brazil v Spain in the quarter-final. That could be the game of the tournament. Two of the top three teams meeting each other early enough.

France and England also possible then?

1 Like

Yep. That should be a good game too although Iā€™d imagine Southgate would be incredibly cautious there.

1 Like

Theyā€™re four really attractive matches but you can guarantee a few cunts of underdogs will get through and Iā€™ll only find out the score from the 2fm sports bulletin in the morning

:see_no_evil: :see_no_evil:

Germany finally go with Kimmich at RB. SanĆ© replaces Kehrer. No FĆ¼llkrug in the starting 11, some people thought he might start to give them a real focal point.

5 changes for the Spanish; Azpi comes back in for Carvajal, Alba drops out for Balde and Laporte is replaced by Pau Torres. Morata in up top instead of Asensio and Nico Williams in for Ferran Torres.

A lot of changes but team not weakened at all, I donā€™t think.

Japan somehow still donā€™t start Mitoma or Asano.

Looks like they may have switched to 3 at the back; Taniguchi, Junya Ito, Tanaka, Kubo & Maeda all come back in for Yamane, Endo, Doan, Soma & Ueda. They also have the likes of Tomiyasu & Minamino on the bench, but Mitoma was superb off the bench the last day & Asano similar the first day.

@estebandaface

3 Likes

Thats a world cup semi final like

I always felt Argentina v Belgium 1986 was one of John Motsonā€™s finest commentaries, along with Italy v Brazil 1982 and the Liverpool v Everton 1989 FA Cup final.

My favourite moment is the one where Maradona misses just past the far post for is hat-trick.

ā€œThey donā€™t know what to doā€¦ā€

3 Likes

That must be probably the greatest ever players greatest ever performance.