2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Great touch and finish by Olmo, or Almo as that gimp Cawley calls him. Think we were involved in a filthy end of season friendly against Costa Rica a few years back in America. Thought the big defender wouldn’t have allowed Olmo to turn him so easily though. A real lack of physicality there.

It’s so competitive Ireland have never even made a semi final

That’s the Sligo town aaacent. See also shaane filan and taaaby caalaghan

Yeah a 1-1 draw before the 2014 World Cup if I remember correctly. I was a bit underwhelmed at the time but sure Costa Rica ended up reaching the last 8 and taking the Dutch to pens. Mexico battered us about 5-1 around the same time. MON showed real disdain for friendlies.

I wonder how many of these Spanish players played Gaelic football as 15 or 16 year olds when they were in Ireland for a summer to learn English.

I suppose it’ll depend on how far in the tournament they go.

Real camogie AIF atmosphere

2 Likes

Spain playing like their team of 08-12, liquid football, keeper should have done better though

Spain more clinical than Germany so far anyway.

The Central Americans are more Costa Concordia than Costa Rica so far.

2 Likes

Is Cawley out in Qatar or is he in a cupboard in Donneybrook?

I’m immune to Ursula Jacob’s Wexford accent on GGA coverage, but Alan Cawley should come with some kind of a warning. Fucking hell.

I probably mentioned it before but I wrote him off as a gimp years ago before a competitive Ireland game during the O’Neill era. There was a short-lived Aviva Fan TV thing in the ground where they tried to build the atmosphere. Part of that was pitch side pre-match interviews shown on the big screens and boomed over the PA. Ireland were warming up and Cawley was asked about the starting team. He slated Slab Murphy’s inclusion at the expense of Shane Long and was very uncomplimentary towards Murphy. Obviously professional footballers should be able to deal with criticism but you don’t expect to be on the receiving end before the match in your own ground while you’re warming up. I also thought it showed a stunning lack of awareness on Cawley’s part and made him look like a right cock. I don’t think Aviva Fan TV was seen again after that.

2 Likes

Soccer in Spain must be a fairly middle class pursuit? If theyve lads who went on foreign exchange type things

Bit soft.

I think this is over anyway

Had two nibbles at it

You’d miss RTEs Spanish football expert,Eamon Dunphy, when they play.

8 Likes

Cawley was extremely critical of Martin O’ Neill in 2017 when we only drew at home to Austria in that titanic World Cup qualifying group involving 4 contenders. I’m not sure of his current thoughts on the Stephen Kenny era but you’d imagine he’d be the type suggesting he’s doing a great job for the next man.

1 Like

I’m having a fucking shocker

*i can’t even reply to the right post

Asensio is only 26 :flushed:
He must have some miles on the clock, been around donkeys years

I had a great chat with a 70 year old St. Michael’s Tipp Town stalwart the day after that Mexico hammering bemoaning how could we lose so badly to Mexico.

He taps me on the shoulder and goes, “you go over to the streets in Mexico and watch the young lads play… 40 a side, one ball… if you want to get a kick in one of those games you’d want to be unreal… compare that to the young lads here playing fucking Sims”

2 Likes