2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

I thought we were bad in Euro 12 against them. This crowd…

Costa Rica have been surprisingly poor. You would expect more.

This is ideal for Spain but they won 5-0 against Slovakia in the Euros and still struggled to break down the likes of Italy.

They are unbelievable on the ball, Pedri is sheer class, as is Gavi. But the front 3 might struggle against disciplined defences.

1 Like

In fairness they played Italy off the park and were unlucky to go out on pens, they look the real deal here. 13/2 is great value outright.

1 Like

They had all the ball but they struggled to create clearcut chances, and Italy did get opportunities at the other end.

And that will be the same against everyone they play, I think they’ll own the ball against everyone, the question will be can they break them down. Obviously scoring 7 shows that they can score.

It’s decent value, they’ve been the most impressive so far, but I still wouldn’t be surprised if Germany beat them on Sunday.

They’ve been passing teams off the park for a good few years now … if a finisher hits form they’ll be hard stopped . You get a sense they’ve being building towards this competition …

Belgium’s starting 11: 8 are 29 or older. The only 3 under are Tielemans (25), Castagne (26) & Dendoncker (27).

They obviously have a lot of quality but it is an aging team. Obviously Canada have a 39-year-old in Hutchinson but Alphonso Davies is arguably the fastest player in world football, and David up top can move too.

1 Like

The prediction competitions are all in tatters now.

1 Like

Hazard coming into this tournament very fresh …

The Belgium Golden Generation has really flown by. They all seemed to emerge to prominence around 2011 and missed qualification for the Euros in 2012 as the new look team gelled. They had the seemingly clueless Mark Wilmots in charge then for 2014 and 2016 tournaments. It’s only really for the World Cup 2018 onwards that they’ve had a passable manager at the helm and the consensus is that they’re passed it now. It’s just flown by for them.

I remember seeing them playing England in a friendly just before Euro 2012 and thinking that they actually had a better team on paper at the time. That was a lost tournament for them really.

you feel Kevin De Bruyne really has to put them on his back for them to win a tournament. He has the capability but I don’t think he is the type of player that will do it. He drifts out of big games and can be marked. The true greats find a way in those situations

It took a while for KDB to develop into the brilliant player he is now and Hazard’s move to Real didn’t do them any favours.

Also haven’t really developed any other defenders.

It would be nice to see them win it tbh. A new name on the trophy. 15 years ago we had a superior squad to them. For all the talk of the ageing squad they still have some decent youngsters starting to filter through.

roberto martinez is also a bluffer of the highest order

2 Likes

Canada v USA was probably the best qualifying game fir this tournament.

He’s alright for international level. Better CV than Southgate. I was very worried that time FSG were interviewing him for the Liverpool job though. Didn’t want him near it.

Hon Canada

1 Like

Eh…

His teams were always shocking at defending set pieces

Mon the moose fuckers

Stonewall peno