2022 FIFA World Cup (Part 1)

Poland have been poor but Mexico lack penetration.

2 teams that wont go very far

I intentionally set that up for you

1 Like

I had a feeling the Argentinian talk was a bit OTT. They fell flat on their arses at the 2002 World Cup too when they were classified as favourites. Albeit that time they were in the group of death with England, Sweden and Nigeria.

That group is fascinating now. Spain recovered from an opening round defeat to the Swiss in 2010 and went on and won the competition but Mexico and Poland are games wrought with danger for an Argie team with little room to manoeuvre. On another note Harve Renard is some man. Youā€™d only love him to be managing Ireland.

You would have expected Mexico to get through this group with Argentina, but they need to run at the big Polish centre-backs more. Lozano has quality, needs to use it.

Poland canā€™t keep the ball at all but are happy out heading crosses away.

Argentina lost their opener in 1990 to Cameroon and got to the final.

1 Like

A fine Cameroon team by all accounts too. Very unlucky to lose out to England in the quarters. Didnā€™t Cameroon finish that match 9 men as well against Argentina?

No england got two penalties

Cameroon were good. Omam-Byik, Ekeke and Roger Milla.

Oh I meant the Argentina v Cameroon game in the San Siro. BBC used to show those classic World Cup games on the red button before the 2010 World Cup.

They did. The last man was put off late enough not to make a difference.

They got stuffed by the USSR in the last group game

Few pints for the Saudi lads tonight and then back in on Thursday night for a recovery session. Renard blew up the training match after 15 minutes on Sunday Morning they were going so wellā€¦

3 Likes

By all accounts?

That could be a penalty. Thereā€™s a tug.

If Kenny was to be axed in the morning who would be on a realistic list of candidates for the job? Part of the argument for Kennys contract extension espoused by OTB crew and their groupies was that there were simply no viable alternative candidates. I remember listening to a segment on their show that Ireland were always picking from a pool of either home grown candidates, former premier league managers with the odd ā€œleft fieldā€ option like Trappatoni thrown in. I get there is affordability issues but surely the apathy and interest levels waning will have an effect on finances. Surely there is a young up and coming coach in Germany or Holland that could do better that wouldnt attract a kings ransom.

2 Likes

Has handful of jersey there for sure

Blatant penalty. Terrible stupidity

No need for it. Lewandowski was behind him

Shit penalty

Bottler in the big games.

Ochoa loves a World Cup. I think I read somewhere that heā€™s 38. He looks fresh for it.