2023 All Ireland Hurling Championship

It appears both semi-finals will be shown on BBC NI in addition to RTÉ. Strange one given the amount of matches that have not been televised.

Illness has ruled out Big Maggie out for Saturday.

1 Like

Niall Moran with a lovely dig on that sports show on 2FM last night. Said that if it did transpire to be a Galway v Kilkenny final this year then they would probably be able to hold it in Tullamore. He did predict a Limerick v Kilkenny final though.

Would he not consider the Premium and Corporate ticket holders?

I haven’t seen that many of Galway’s matches in full and only the highlights of the Tipp game but my impression is they’re a better team than last year, would people agree? They got robbed by kk, if they won that match they’d be viewed as a much more serious prospect and I think they should be viewed as if they have. They’ve fallen behind in games but have shown when they’re tuned in they can go to town. On personnel the fullback centre back swap robs Peter to pay Paul and but I think they come out ahead. Concannon and Niland are more consistent and Whelan is in hurler of the year form, definitely a level up from last year and finally looks like they’ve a replacement marquee forward for Joe. They’ve also dropped a few non performing lads and have guys in contributing from the start, but still have the likes of Flynn, who is a talent if an enigma, coming in and making an impact. They’re another year with KH and which is another benefit to the group and I think that kk game has strengthened their resolve.

I think they’re a better team than last year and if that is true, and you consider the players Limerick are missing from last year and the poor or mixed form of others, on paper Galway should win this semi final.

The one thing that gives me a bit of hope is maybe Galway play a sweeper again and that might suit Limerick. We’ve also had a month to prepare which I hope sees us go up a level. Otherwise I see it as advantage Galway.

Cc @Aristotle @theGalways

2 Likes

Bookies will give you 2.5 to 1 if you fancy Galway highly enough.
Personally Im not sure the consistency is there yet with them, in saying that Whelan would give any defender sleepness nights

Who gives a shit about that or backs against their own team?

1 Like

I had a small bet on Clare at 6-1 for the round robin game. If you think there’s value there why not?

Galway are shit.

Galway would be a value punt at double that, the smart money is on the big house

1 Like

This is the problem with judging players off Sunday game highlights.

9 Likes

Concannon was unbelievable against KK in the round robin. If he brings that, he will trouble anyone.

I’ve seen 3 of the Galway matches this year and Whelen has been very up and down.

Fahy could be a top player. If Monaghan could cut out the bad wides he’d be very good. I’d say Niland isn’t quite quick enough.

Concannon is the one Galway really need to drive on.

2 Likes

Concannon has had one great game so far, but poor in the rest. He’s 26 now and should be hitting consistent form. That’s always our problem though, lads with one good game in four always getting picked. If Concannon and Whelan hit form together it would be great.

5 Likes

I actually expect us to beat Limerick the next day and get hammered in the final.

2 Likes

I think its a really sticky one for Limerick who have been stodgy all year. Galway definitely have the firepower (should’ve won easily the last day). Could be the game of the year.

1 Like

We’re a bit better than last year and they are still Limerick but Finn is a massive loss. We have a good chance I’d say.

1 Like

@thelimericks will piss themselves laughing when Conor Cooney and Jayo are being introduced

2 Likes

It’s like dropping a live grenade in your own trench.

1 Like

We cant afford to laugh at anyone this year. Unless we improve dramatically on our Munster form we are there for the taking.

Concannon was surprisingly bad the last two days. Hard to understand how a lad could be that in inconsistent. He’s almost umarkable when on his game.