2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Perhaps the aim is to make championships more unpredictable by demoralising the good teams as much as possible and having half the panel leave during the season.

1 Like

That’s a great point actually. And injuries too. Make sure the other half are injured.

4D Chess from the Association

Things have just gone stale. We’ve had some very good teams underage teams in the past few years. We won Ulsters at u20 in 19,20 and 22 and would probably have considered a lot of those teams to have underachieved.

We won the AI in 2021 and effectively you are looking at Darragh Canavan and Cormac Quinn from those teams who are now starters. It’s still the same block of players that won an All Ireland.

Guys like Rory Brennan, Mark Bradley, Cassidy, Rafferty etc just didn’t seem to feature under Logan whereas under Harte they were important players. There are players outside of the squad who I think you might see come in next year and be starters. There’s a fair dearth of players from 20-25 age bracket in that squad, a lot of them seem to have either never got a chance or got sick waiting of waiting for one.

They have pretty much a bench and panel depth now that weren’t involved in 2021 so I’d just hope a few of them are thrown in now and see how they get on. You see Galway and Mayo have chucked in a few lads straight from u20s in the past few years to great effect, Glynn, Callinan, Mullen etc so I’d like to see Tyrone just put some faith in these lads against Armagh next week.

1 Like

I think the outstanding but fiercely enjoyable competition on offer in the Tyrone All-County leagues is paradoxically working against the inter-county set up in comparison to counties which have a shambolic club league system.

1 Like

I think that’s certainly a reason. Players who aren’t getting minutes want off to their clubs and don’t want missing important games because they’re sitting on the bench.

Mickey would have gotten a lot of stick for not handling players too well at times but I think he was much better for giving out the opportunities, he could pull a player in from nowhere and they would get their chance so it didn’t seem like as much of a closed shop as it does under Dooher and Logan.

I’d just like to see a few curve balls in for Armagh. 3 or 4 players just landed in and see how they get on. Burns is out so hopefully its an opportunity for Ruairi Canavan or Seanie O’Donnell or someone like that rather than a McGeary or Sludden who just haven’t done it post 2021.

1 Like

Very attack minded looking Armagh team.

Tyrone’s not named yet but I’m expecting:

1 Morgan
2 McKernan
3 McNamee
4. Hampsey
5. Quinn
6. O’Neill
7. Harte
8. Kennedy
9. Kilpatrick
10. Meyler
11. D Canavan
12. Oguz
13. McCurry
14. M Donnelly
15. R Canavan

Recalls in for the likes of Sludden and McGeary to replace Burns would be very disappointing and would signal management’s lack of faith in their younger players

Sludden in for suspended Burns the only change,

L Quinn replaces the departed B Gallen on the bench.
R Donnelly, McCarron and Shields called into the squad with Burns (suspended), Munroe (departed) and Mulgrew (???) dropping out.

Sadly nowhere near the level of change needed.

They’ll still sit back and counter,it’s the McGeeney way.He doesn’t know any better.

I don’t think that’s McGeeney’s choice. I think they are more constrained by defensive frailties.

He doesn’t trust his players that’s plain to see.

1 Like

He’d be as well move that loodar out of the goals and play him in midfield where he belongs.

I think he’s done a very good job with Armagh when you consider how poor they’ve been at underage the past decade.

1 Ulster u20 final appearance in the past 19 years which they lost.
1 Ulster minor final appearance in the past 12 years which they lost.

I suppose the Grugan, James Morgan, Andrew Murnin and Soupy (?) generation did win an All-Ireland minor title in 2009. Looking back I’m surprised the underage teams containing RON, Jarlath Óg, Conor Turbitt etc. didn’t yield more success.

They came close once or twice, but took the sensible option courtesy of Jarly and missed out narrowly.

Don’t think Soupy was on that team.

Robbie Tasker was one of the stars of that team but went a bit off the rails.

It would be some craic if he got a fare with Brian Stalford.

A lot of good football games on today but the jeopardy is taken out of it by the three teams out of the group scenario.

A much better system would follow the Tipperary senior hurling championship format @peddlerscross

Work away with your groups of four but only two teams come out of each group. However the carrot for being a provincal winner is the safety net of a guaranteed preliminary QF.

For example, Ulster champions Derry come 3rd in their group. There then will be a draw amongst the 2nd place teams to play Derry in a preliminary QF.

5 Likes

Yeah allowing 3 teams out of the group is a joke.

1 Like

Kerry playing Cork today and nobody knows about it. I think the tickets are general admission with seating on a first come first served basis (unreserved).

If there were only 2 teams coming out of the groups Tyrone v Armagh tonight would be box office and even Dublin v Kildare would be worth attending.

Alas the whole thing is a total cod.

This weekend The Derby at Epsom Downs and Cup Final from Wembley are totally dwarfing this nonsense that the split season zealots have come up with.

Puke football from Kerry.

“shot selection is something we need to keep an eye” - that was a fucker sitter ffs.