2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Munroe anyway wouldn’t be too far off the starting team, if something was to happen to Hampsey or McNamee he would likely be in. He started the first 5 league games but lost his place for the final two and didn’t feature. He came off the bench against Monaghan but was an unused sub against Armagh.

Galway broke them

1 Like

Is Mickey Harte a non runner to return?

I’d say so.

Could be a few good external people available in O’Rourke and McGuinness but it’s not in Tyrone’s style. O’Rourke actually lives in Ballygawley now so maybe that could be a genuine option.

Personally I’d love to see Art get a 4th go.

1 Like

I’d love it

John Donnelly who managed Tyrone between 1989 and 1992 was from Fermanagh but a member of Trillick and immersed in life there.

Appointing a Fermanagh man living in Tyrone as manager would be much less contentious than appointing somebody from one of the other major football counties in Ulster.

Anyway Derry now have a Tyrone man in charge, Armagh previously had a Down man, and Down had an Armagh man.

1 Like

Malachy isn’t going to take an Inter County job when he still has work to be done with Glen.

Then it will be Derry rather than Tyrone, he’ll take over.

Living in Ballygawley and seeing two sons of God being spawned and coming into their peak is surely a tempting prospect for Malachy.

Possibly. But there shouldn’t be any impediment to O’Rourke taking the Tyrone job if he wanted it. I think Mickey Harte managed Errigal Ciaran through the club season in 2002/03 though which went up to late February in that case as Errigal reached an All-Ireland semi-final. I think Harte had to double job for a few months. You could argue the game has moved on since then but the club season finishes earlier now.

1 Like

Anthony Cunningham did the same thing in 2012 with Garrycastle going to April with the Club Final Replay and he managing the Galway hurlers concurrently.

Malachy is a man of huge integrity though and I would say when a decision is being taken on the next Tyrone manager in August/September, he won’t want any distractions getting in the way of Glen’s Championship prospects.

There is going to be huge pressure on Glen to get it done this year, in Year 3 of the project and with McFaul back in Maghera.

McGinley would be a good appointment for Tyrone. Important Tyrone go for an Errigal club man in some shape or form.

Do you think so? He’s a good analyst and seems like a sound fella but I wouldn’t be sold on him as a manager based on his time with Antrim anyway.

Neither would I be sold on Tally. Tyrone would likely go back to a drudgery based game under him. PTG won’t touch inter-county management again I think and doesn’t want to be involved because of his sons.

Tyrone don’t seem to be overflowing with internal management options, there aren’t any obvious candidates from successful underage teams. In terms of merit you’d have to say Malachy O’Rourke looks the standout.

Mark Harte would hardly get it? I think he fits the sort of profile you want, a progressive internal candidate with inter-county playing pedigree, but not a star. Sort of like Laverty in Down. These more often that not are the best profile managers for raising standards and getting a team to push as high as possible.

I’d say McGinley would be an upgrade on what’s there currently and would at least get all the best players involved. There must be 20 players who have walked away under Dooher/Logan.

Mark Harte would be good and seems to be doing a great job with Errigal but I suppose it would be viewed as, ‘why don’t they bring Mickey back altogether?’

1 Like

McGinley did a decent job with Antrim, promotion from Div 4 and were in with a shout of promotion to Div 2 the following season on the final day but missed out.

Disappointing result in the Tailteann but I think they had a lot of defections after the League. Think he would do well and would be a better appointment than Mark Harte. I think it will be between him and Tally myself.

Devlin underachieved with the U20s so I don’t think he’s a serious candidate. McGleenan and Ricey didn’t do much at Cavan or Fermanagh. Tally would be very highly rated in Tyrone and he’s the type of manager would get huge buy in I’d imagine buy in.

Is there not a residue of bad blood between Tally and the Hartes/Errigal?

I don’t think things ended too well with Mickey but can’t see any bad blood there outside of that. He would also have won a Sigerson with McGeary, McShane and Meyler with St Marys.

I don’t get what has happened or seems to have happened. Dooher and Logan were very canny operators in 2021 and got Tyrone playing some very nice stuff at times in addition to winning the All-Ireland. The common perception was Dooher and Logan had “let them off the leash” after the very structured and regimented regime of Harte.

I recall a tale about the great Ajax team. The theory was that Rinus Michels made them, but the players were beginning to get sick of him. Then a Romanian guy called Stefan Kovacs took over. The players felt much freer than they did under the regimented style of Michels and went on to win two more European Cups, expressing themselves more in the process, but by the end of Kovacs’s tenure, they were getting sick of him too because he was allowing them nearly too much freedom and there wasn’t enough direction.

Or is it a simple case of Tyrone players being sated after winning that All-Ireland?

To be fair I could imagine Logan being a character you could get sick of fairly easily. For all his intellect he comes across as a bit of a buffoon.

Seems many counties are suffering from deflections post league in football.

Deflections can be very deceiving in a ball based sport.

1 Like

I outlined this last week about the body language of a lot of County Teams being terrible lately. An offset of the split season.

Tipp’s yesterday in hurling was just appalling.

Derry looked miles off it Saturday night in football and by all accounts Dublin looked like they’d rather be anywhere else but Croke Park yesterday.

The tyrone lads had more cop on than to take the vaccine. It literally won them an all Ireland

1 Like