2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

A really gutless second half performance from kildare against half a Dublin team.

1 Like

Full-time
Kildare 0-13
Dublin 0-22

Fairly routine victories for Galway Dublin and Kerry today

Would ya expect anything different for Kildare? Been like that forever. Great to see the likes of Bulger and Basquel finally showing what they can do.

I know its been done to death at this stage but format needs to change to 2 teams progressing and 4 qtr finals then. Today could have been a knock out game for Kerry or Cork Mayo game would have a lot riding on it too with score difference a big factor also with last day permutations. There is not enough jeopardy with these games and its reflected in attendances.

4 Likes

Glen Ryan looks a bit stupid after that.

Fuck me Kildare were atrocious in the second half. They’re way worse than they were a couple of years ago when d Flynn was some element of threat and jimmy Hyland was buzzing around. They are an absolute nothing team.

Everything in that group will come down to score difference yet the commentators literally didn’t mention it once :person_shrugging:t2:

I thought we were done for the days football action. “What times throw in” on twitter took the day off today. Usually good to mark your card re the weekends action. But low and behold Armagh and Tyrone are on free to air. Yipeeeee

Galway were behind for much of the game but finished very strongly in fairness to them after the Connellan red card. Hit 9 of the last 10 points after that.

1 Like

But the idea is to get more of the top 16 teams playing each other in the championship in semi competitive matches. There will be probably just as many jeopardy matches as there would be with 2 up and there will be 4 more actual knock out games too. It’s the utter shitness of gaa fans in counties like kildare compared to almost every other sport that will fuck the format and there’s no solving that.
The argument against it seems to be fans have no interest in going to watch their team so let’s play less matches so it’s not so obvious that nobody really cares

1 Like

That red was fierce soft for Westmeath who were genuinely rode in the second half by the ref. Great to see the Connemara men steady the ship to make things handy for Damo.

Whats Kildares malaise owing to I wonder? Is it that it has just a commuter belt county now with a very transient blow in type community. How is their club scene? Could same be said about Meath? Counties that size should be more at it.

Ah the two of them are a total joke. If they were anywhere near as good as they should be given their populations and how big Gaelic football is in the counties the whole sport would be in a far better place. The support thing really is a massive problem outside them though.

Is it a promotion thing or what is it? Why do people not go or even bring their kids to go to watch one of the one or two big games in a year their team has in their favourite sport. I can’t think of any equivalent. We can blame formats all we like but soccer and rugby fans go to games in big numbers that have absolutely no jeopardy. I know tradition is everything and we weren’t brought up with these formats but unless the gaa can solve it they are in big trouble imo. Maybe engaging people in going to club games in urban areas is the way forward.

2 Likes

Wtf are Armagh playing at here

The format being an abomination definitely isn’t helping this year.

When there is always a ‘tomorrow’ then supporters question why should i go ‘today’? If this Tyrone v Armagh match was knockout it would have a totally different feel.

I’d say the actual timing of matches is an issue too. Early afternoon Saturday games have never really been a thing. Cork v Kerry at 3pm today… i mean what the hell was that about? If Kildare v Dublin was at 3.30 tomorrow I’m sure there would have been more at it.

3 Likes

Straight red for RON

Wee Pete or whoever took that knee mighty

Thats never a red card

1 Like

Games gone if you cant pin a fellas head down with your knees.

He must have been choking on a peanut and Rian saved his life.

1 Like