2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

That game was a wonderful showcase of cowardice, there were so many different varieties of it.

1 Like

The split season zealots will be very quiet after they inflicted that on us.

I missed the first half but Rian O’ Neill was sent off was he? A 2 point defeat away to Tyrone in those circumstances isn’t bad at all. They’re vastly superior to where they were when Geezer took charge of them. Christ didn’t they lose to Laois twice in a week that first season in 2015?

He’s at solid nothing with them

I genuinely think Armagh were thinking of scoring difference at the end there, in the result of a three way tie if Westmeath beat Tyrone. Armagh only beat Westmeath by 1. They could ship a 7 or 8 beating off Galway if Galway are in the mood.

1 Like

You’d wonder how Armagh even approach that Galway game given they are almost certain to be in a Preliminary Quarter Final the following week even if they beat Galway.

That is the big take away from the championship. Gga fans arent committed

Some team will get caught out in one of these groups and end up being eliminated because they go easy or get confused as to how to approach the final round of fixtures. Like, if youre Galway or Armagh, do you go hard in the final round to try and win the group and get a week’s rest? If you get drawn into a dogfight, youre then mentally and physically vulnerable if you lose a dogfight and have to play in a last 12 knockout clash. But if you’re Armagh, surely you have to go hard because the threat of elimination still exists.

Tipp knowing that a 4 point defeat would be enough last Sunday, and that any defeat would likely still be enough, mentally threw them I think. It happened to Galwy hurlers in 2019. Galway footballers in 2018 effectively ended up throwing their season away by not going hard in a dead rubber. Having that fallback of “even if we lose we’re probably through” (or guaranteed to be through) seems to confuse teams.

1 Like

I guess Louth in theory can knock out Kerry on Head2Head if Cork beat Mayo who might ease off knowing they are at least guaranteed not to be knocked out.

The football championship needs to be ripped up and replaced with the league format.

All these extra matches on GaaGo are a waste of time.

2 Likes

This format is actually ok but 2 teams instead of 3 would be better.

If Mickey Harte’s Louth knocked Kerry out on head to head it would be one of the most hilarious things to happen in human existence.

Its a fierce pity Dublin didnt beat Roscommon because that would have allowed Dublin to go easy on Sligo in the final game and possibly put Sligo through over Kildare on scoring difference. Dublin will likely put up a cricket score on them now though to make sure of winning the group.

All this feeds back into one thing though - squad depth is everything.

1 Like

Darren Frehill will have great fun going through the various permutations as to who can finish first, second and third in each of the groups.

2 Likes

They can have it. They’ll be all pumped up but it means jack shit

1 Like

If Tyrone and Armagh win it goes to score difference but would take a fair swing to knock Galway off top spot.

1 Like

Is Ron banned with the straight red? They’d have won handy tonight if he was on the field even they despite being shit

You’re right, I had it in my head Westmeath got a draw in Armagh for some reason.

I have it in my head that it’s almost certain Kerry will get Armagh in Preliminary Quarter Final in Killarney on June 24th.

Sure if it was knock out there’d be one game and gone? Do you genuinely think it should go back to that. You can’t promote a modern sport that way. That was grand when lads were cycling to matches and farming 24/7. One match a year suited them lovely.