2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Ffs. So if kildare had less chance of qualifying more people would go? The shite talked around this is unreal. If today was knock out there would have been fuck all extra there.

1 Like

The attendance is bad across the board not just Kildare. There’s very little suspense surrounding these Super 16 group games. Tyrone and Armagh attracted a good crowd tonight, same as the Derry v Monaghan match last week. Great buzz surrounding Derry and Armagh at present after progression in recent years. If Kildare were a coming force akin to Derry then I’m sure they’d attract a sizeable contingent.

My point was more so that there’s latent support in Kildare. 20 years ago they were bringing huge crowds to HQ. Even during the Geezer era (2008-2013) there was a buzz surrounding Kildare. There’s an apathy there at present because they’ve been in the relative doldrums and in Dublin’s shadow.

1 Like

I think people need more notice now around fixtures compared to years ago. For instance all these concerts and music festivals during summer are organised 12 months in advance and people know exactly where they have to be at what time.

In GAA as an example, we have known for the last week that Tipp play Offaly in hurling in two weeks but still no confirmation if its Saturday or Sunday or what time it will be on. Then the Hurling Quarter Finals will be fixed at 6 days notice and nobody knows where they’ll be on.

In Football its the same with times/dates/venues organised at very short notice and this weekend in particular being a Bank Holiday, people aren’t going to wait around for Fergal above in Croke Park to make up his mind on when their county is playing and instead will go off and do other things.

14 Likes

Latent support= bandwagoners

There was pretty much zero promotion around cork and Kerry today. A far more attractive fixture tomorrow with the u20 final…was there any thought given to a double header? 3pm on a bank holiday Saturday some shit time too

Underage games not played with senior anymore

If your’e not at Rory Fest the June Bank Holiday you’re at nothin

1 Like

Surely that’s just an arbitrary decision the GAA have made

Depends on the way you look at it. The rules are the rules. The GAA make all the rules. Why decide this one is arbitrary

3pm on a Saturday was just ridiculous stuff but when was it even fixed? Less than two weeks ago anyway I’d imagine?

That’s not much time for people to plan their weekend. Young people in particular nowadays are military like in how they like to know exactly what they’ll be doing at weekends, weeks and even months in advance. For instance if they know for sure there’s a Lumineers Concert in St. Anne’s Park tonight but there might be a Football match on the Saturday or Sunday, they’ll build their weekend around the concert 9 times out 10.

The next round of the Football is in two weekends time but again nobody knows when or where the games take place. Again people will have other plans made by the time Fergal gets the finger out next week to organise his fixtures.

At least for Munster Hurling Championship games the times/dates/venues were organised well in advance and people could plan.

its going to a match mate, not up mount Everest

3 Likes

One things for sure, there should be red lights flashing in GAA HQ when on the finest weekend of the year weather wise, Dublin v Kildare barely scrapes 8k while Cork v Kerry just about breaks 14k.

Something majorly wrong.

I was in Kilkenny this morning up until lunchtime. I had no idea that there was a Split Season Super Sweet Sixteen Gaelic Football Championship match on in town until I started spotting Dublin jerseys around the place. That’s the way it’s gone now. Nobody knows when or where the matches are on but if you you find yourself in any provincial town at a weekend, chances are there’s a match on in these interminable competitions.

3 Likes

You’d have as many people up Everest as at some of the matches these days.

You’re correct that 3pm Saturday (or worse 1pm) is a graveyard slot in the GAA. 5pm is a bit graveyardy too. The more traditional 7pm slot works better as it at least tends to bring out a half decent home attendance and occasionally, if its an attractive local derby, a half decent away support.

Tyrone v Armagh I suppose had a reasonable crowd for a mid size venue but it was far from the sell out envisaged by the Newstalk generation when they were preaching the glories of round robins. And that along with Kerry v Mayo was the plummiest of the plum fixtures un the round robin.

It’ll be interesting to see what sort of a crowd Donegal v Derry draws. No excuses with the timing, its 4pm on a Sunday. I expect Donegal’s support has been drawn into a Kildare like spiral of negativity, while Derry’s support will largely wait for the knockout action. I’d expect a considerably smaller crowd than for an Ulster Championship tie under the old system.

It seems the public has largely decided that this format is a dead loss after less than two full rounds of it. 8k at Kildare v Dublin was a truly pathetic attendance.

1 Like

I’d say about 50 per cent of those in Dublin jerseys were down for the comedy festival and didn’t know there was a match either.

2 Likes

When the Newstalk boys were warning a few months back that the hurling was going to be lost in an “avalanche of football” during the summer months I knew this year’s football championship was doomed.

It’s not just Kildare though that’s my point too. The support for all football teams in leinster seems to have been decimated maybe it is by the dubs. There is no ongoing support for a huge amount of counties really. An uncle of mine is a guard in sligo for eg he said they were expecting 8k at the match v Kildare last week barely 2 turned up. Sligo after winning loads of underage things recently etc. Possibly their only ever time to compete in Sam with the way the connacht draw fell. No one turns up. Fuck all even at the connacht final. What do you do with that like? Is there any point in the whole thing in those counties any more.

Even those that know the game is on and attend it, dont even know what the consequences of winning it are.

Galway have won all their games this year but dont seem to have made much progress compared to Tyrone who are 1 win from 3.

@Cheasty we need a ranking system of “new lows” thanks to the split season.

I thought the Dublin v Kerry attendance fiasco last year wouldn’t be topped, but then the Hurling Final only goes and outdoes it by not breaking 80k while Dublin v Kildare barely scraping 8k is certainly right up there. Of course having to switch the AI Hurling Quarter Finals to lunchtime on a Saturday to facilitate some Currie Cup match in South Africa deserves a mention too.

1 Like

In fairness LOI fans are committed. But there is only about 11 of ye.