2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I was afraid the whole ship was going to sink after the Gallagher debacle but they are very much on track again now.

It will take a good team to beat them in Croke Park.

Looked like no one at all bothered with that game in Clones.

Going to go with

Pot 2
Kerry
Roscommon
Tyrone
Monaghan

Pot 3
Cork
Kildare
Armagh
Donegal

You’d back the pot 2 teams there on merit of consistency etc but the Pot 3 teams are well capable of putting any of the Pot 2 teams if they catch fire and their opponents are underpar.

I think it will be interesting.

Kerry Armagh
Roscommon Donegal
Tyrone Kildare
Monaghan Cork

Would be all good ties with a clear favourite but no huge surprises if a big team turned one over. Donegal seem to have got a little bit of belief back in the super 8s and good to see Gallen flying after his injury issues last few years.

The GAA really don’t help themselves. Its been known for weeks that these would be the Round 3 fixtures the weekend of June 17th/18th, yet they cant tell the public when or where they’ll be on until tomorrow at the earliest.

You’d wonder will any of these games break 10k, and a few will struggle to scrape 5k I’d say.

2 Likes

The following teams can win the All Ireland this year
Galway
Derry
Roscommon

Forget the rest

1 Like

The Rossies are an interesting one.

They seem to have gone from strength to strength since myself and Davy Burke had a frank and open discussion on Gaelic Football in Devitts of Camden Street a few months ago.

10 Likes

Mikey definitely looks in here. He may even post here. Hi Mikey.

2 Likes

Same as. It dawned on me earlier I didn’t see any championship GAA this weekend & didn’t know the scores in any of the games (bar Wexford’s 1-16 to 1-12 win in the Tilda Swinton Cup). So I clicked into this thread to catch up on the last few hundred posts, & I still don’t really know who won the games.

1 Like

Information, information everywhere and no time to stop and think.

The Sunday Game simply don’t bother now with the Saturday games. “Oh, we covered those last night.” They run a 30 seconds long yoke featuring one score from each of the previous day’s games, with colours all distorted so you can’t even see any of the scores properly, and that’s it.

If you watch Match Of The Day 2 on a Sunday night, there’s a comprehensive recap of the Saturday games. That should be the minimum expected on a Sunday.

The lack of a Monday discussion round up programme continues to grate. The Game On Monday ran from 1991 to 2000. There was a golden little spell there around 1999/2000 where you had Breaking Ball on a Friday evening to set the scene for the weekend, the live games on Sundays and occasional Saturdays, then Sportscall on RTE Radio 1 with Des Cahill at 7pm on a Monday which was the sort of low rent Liveline style fodder you need at that time, then the Game On Monday.

That was 23/24 years ago and that was far superior coverage.

We used to be a proper country.

5 Likes

That was excellent alright.

Has the utter shitshow that was the Marty/Brenda post game thing returned this year?

1 Like

I have no idea.

I can still remember the Sportscall theme music in my head.

And I can remember the absolute roastings Tom/my Carr would get on it on the Monday nights after Dublin were eliminated from the championship.

Callers were all but demanding he be dragged out of his house and him marched tarred and feathered down O’Connell Street, and his house set on fire.

BOX OFFICE.

We were a much more tolerant country then.

2 Likes

How there isn’t a Friday preview show when every single county in Ireland was playing over the weekend bates all

I think it’s to benefit non contact children’s nursery rhyme Gaelic football. Children’s Gaelic football needs the absence of a Breaking Ball style programme in order to thrive.

Headquarters won’t give us a practice game in croke park. No way

I think the gaa should just let this format settle now for a few years. It’s the best they’ll get imo. They then need to promote attendance at the games like the likes of rovers, bohs and pats have done in LOI. They might still get relatively small crowds but theyve increased them and created a buzz and community feel around going.
The gaa has thousands of underage players in every single county. Make it a day out again, a family event. You have thousands of people going to those loi matches even when they are ‘dead rubbers’. It should just be a given that more or less every single fan of a team goes to their one home championship match of the fucking season. I don’t care what state of mortality the rubber is in.

Be difficult to make it softer than last years one

1 Like

As @Cheasty said, they’ve bet the family farm on this system now so kind of have to give it 3-5 years.

Having said that if Dublin v Sligo and Kerry v Louth dont break a combined total of 15k then serious questions will be asked. They could probably play Derry v Clare in Tuam Stadium for all that will show up to it.

22 out of 32 Counties have won a Provincial title since 1992 (not a long time in the grand scheme) so you’d wonder were they hastily dumbed down to a Spring Series of Challenge games.

1 Like

why the neutral venues? reward provincal winners with an extra home match ?

22 is more than I thought

Was it really worth dumbing down the provincal championships for this new round robin\champions league formal which isnt really catching on or offering much

It’s like a J1 summer with the baseball. 162 games in the regular season. 15 or 16 games practically every day of the regular season from the start of April to the end of September and nobody has a clue who’s winning and losing before you hit the play offs and knock out in October. The split season zealots no doubt have a further expansion plan up their sleeves for next season. Maybe a doubling of games from 24 to 48 at the Super Sweet Sixteen stage, a Champions League style home and away structure to whittle 16 down to 12. Maybe introduce a lucky 13 wildcard slot as well.

See, you have to understand the process by which the provincial championships and the championship as a whole dumbed down.

I go back to the analogy of how the Tories run down the NHS and the BBC piece by piece to create the impression these things are no longer worth saving.

The first piece of running down the provincial championships was that they were no longer knockout. But we at least understand the reasons for that decision, and the provincial championships could still function as excellent competitions if they were competitive.

The first real piece of the running down of the provincial championships and thus the championships as a whole was the decision to scrap the 1A/1B/2A/2B League structure that gave weaker counties the platform to get used to a good level of football while not letting the stronger counties gallop away. The League doesn’t really matter that much, but it can serve as a good competition to allow teams to be competitive come championship. Now it’s the major driver of grotesque imbalances in standards which make the championship shit.

The expansion of substitutes from three to five and then six, that favours the stronger counties and fucks the weaker counties, because squads become all important and for obvious reasons it’s more difficult for the weaker counties to have strong squads.

The condensing of the season mitigates against competition because there’s less recovery time.

With every defeat, disillusion grows among the teams who tend to lose more. The gaps grow wider. The symptoms are tackled, not the causes. The solution offered is to essentially banish the weaker counties, not to create a situation where they can compete.

When you are not competing, nobody sees any point. We can’t compete becomes, what’s the point in playing, becomes. there’s no point in attending. The whole thing becomes a interminably boring procession. The value of the competition is diminished. The proposed solution, the Tyler Morton Cup, is a dead duck.

The misguided or worse, underhand elitism dressed as “progress” becomes the death of a sport.

1 Like