2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

20-25 years ago, Waterford footballers were more or less at the same level as Clare, Limerick and Tipperary. The County Board in Waterford have ran football down to a level now where it’s little better than Kilkenny. Waterford beat London in the league earlier in the year. Think that’s the only match they’ve won league or championship in 3 years.

There’d be plenty of pockets in the county where football is strong, but football has no chance. Club Football Championship in Waterford probably won’t get going until early October. Split season just pushes the weaker code in counties more to the margins.

1 Like

Tipperary won three football games this year across McGrath Cup, League, Munster Championship and Tailteann Cup. All three wins came against Waterford. Thats some fall from grace for a County who’ve been in two AI Semi finals in the last 7 years. They could barely fill the 26 man panel for their lsdt few matches.

The split season effectively ending Gaelic Football as a pastime in the county within two years.

I’d say less than 15 Clubs entered the Club League in Tipp this year.

We should change the format to suit Tipp footballers so

1 Like

Dromahair in Leitrim won no game in the league, no game in the 5 team group league system ‘championship’ but won the Relegation final to retain Senior status……Tell me I’m dreaming…

1 Like

The Big Show won the Royal Rumble in 2000 but was shafted come Wrestlemania

I threw that a like, but it’s a load of shite. Derry might be pursuing the holy grail but it’s not like we’re dublin with rakes of cash and rakes of players, it’s just because a good club scene happens to be there when a handful of good players inevitably turns up…every quarter of a century or so. We’ll be nowhere again soon enough.
The Al Qaeda cup is an excellent proposition. If fermanagh, Tunbridge Wells or leitrim happen to harbour some ambition then go with a core group of committed players and try to win it. It’ll be a fine first step…
Oh, i almost forgot- dry your eyes

1 Like

If you lose twice in Championship, you should be gone. Write it off as a bad year and move on.

Now in a bad year, teams have to go through with an endless number of defeats (often hammerings) that suck the life out of players and ultimately kill interest.

2 Likes

You are doing it again, FORMAT, is not the SPLIT SEASON

1 Like

You wouldn’t want the lads in Aughawillan to hear that….
I’d say without looking they’re outside 10/1 for the Fenagh Cup….

A small nibble - they have three of the more accomplished players in the county in Dolan and any of three Plunketts. Be dark horses at great prices.

Large swathes of Tipperary, a lot of the south and good chunks of the west would be Football country. You go through Tipperary All Ireland Hurling winning teams pre 1971 ‘famine years’ and they were mostly all drawn from from a 10 mile radius of Thurles. Weren’t Babs and Mick Roche the first All Ireland winners from clubs from the south, and even at that Mick Roche was a Waterford man.

Very few counties anymore where there’s a will to promote both codes. Carlow is actually a bit of an outlier there. County Board do very little to promote hurling and it’s the hurling strongholds mostly in the south of the county that drive it on.

1 Like

Modern strategy for some counties nowadays employs the prospect of losing

A quite damning indictment of any format

1 Like

There’s an appetite for more football. The league is getting better year on year, derry’s matches against donegal and monaghan, whilst not at ulster championship level were certainly better than any of the other three provincial championships and recent all irelands. There’s a solid argument for making the ulster final the finale and showpiece of the ga season.

1 Like

Back on topic. This is the hardest all Ireland to call in yonks. I know that doesn’t suit the narrative.

Derry.
Dublin
Mayo
Galway

For me. That is the four. Kerry are too reliant on Clifford, and he is run down, but Moran is a massive loss for Kerry.

Think Galway or Derry. Leaning for Galway. Mayo’s history of doing fuck all counting against them in my head. But maybe this is the year.

Dublin on paper look good. But not clicking yet. Maybe they’ll time their run

No you are actually the one who’s completely missing the point.

To justify a split season there has to be loads of games for everyone which means loads of defeats for those having a shit year.

You’re in favor of a split season no? Just a few weeks later

Also footballers from weaker counties have been leaving panels before the end of the Championship for a long time now

1 Like

I responded with a sympathy like. Your disrespect for the secondary competition is noted in your failure to at least properly respect it’s title. It appears that your good self, along with some others here feel it’s witty/ cool/ or plain derogatory to title it as they please.

That appears to be the way it’s going now, all about being hip/cool/edgy. It’s opinionated, educated cunts like yourself are first to pull up the ladder when you escape from the boggy ground and snigger at the likes of ourselves and our beleaguered D4 associates as if we were nobodies.

I can’t wait for the longed for Border Poll….I’ll think of yourself and ponder…….

6 Likes
  1. I can’t remember the name, i know it has something to do with Islamic fundamentalism and just took a stab at it
  2. Shur didn’t i say it was a fine competition for an ambitious county to win.
  3. I snigger at everyone
  4. There mightn’t be a border poll for another decade
2 Likes

We just need to use the 2021 Championship summer as a template regarding timelines (Started in late June and finished in late August) & formats (Knockout/backdoor in hurling and happy to have a backdoor in Football and start it a little earlier if necessary)

There should definitely be a window where county players are released to Clubs after the National Leagues for 4-6 weeks from mid April to mid/late May. Whether counties use this window to play Club Championships or just Leagues is up to themselves.

Tipp and Limerick appeared in Munster Finals in 2002 and 2003 respectively so I think it may be a stretch to suggest that Waterford were at their level 20 years ago but I was only talking to someone lately who was telling me that they used to be a far better footballing county back in the 90’s. They’ve gained very little traction since. Getting within a point of Galway in a qualifier back around 2013 was probably one of their highlights. They had the Indian sign over Wexford for a couple of years too (2018/19). I seem to recall them making a rare appearance on the Sunday Game live against Kerry around 2006. I’d say they haven’t been on it since.