2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Its ruining his social life. Crux of the matter.

They beat a Colm Cooper/Declan O’Sullivan inspired Kerry in an U21 Munster Final in 2003. Serial winner Jack O’Connor was the Kerry manager too.

1 Like

Brick Walsh was on that Waterford team I think wasn’t he?

A couple of Wicklow lads who started their first Tailteann Cup group game were on the beer at the same time as their second group game against Longford.

Not sure we should be judging this off a few pissheads in Wicklow.

I recall them winning a Junior Football All-Ireland which seemed to be a pretty big deal. They beat Meath in a final by a point I think. 1999 or thereabouts.

2007 was the time they played Kerry in a Munster semi-final and it was broadcast live. The great John “Jackson” Kiely, one of Ireland’s few celebrity Rangers fans, was the manager.

Was it 2006 they gave Kerry loads of it Live on TV? Shane Briggs didn’t give Gooch a kick.

A Kerry v Waterford game back then actually felt somewhat significant back then.

Getting back on topic, any white smoke from Fergal and the lads in Croker for the next round of Fixtures in this Super Sweet 16 Format?

1 Like

Ah stop

I think the formatting and its scheduling is something for us all to bicker about once the evenings are dark and the fire is on again.

This is a hard one to call. Wide open and any of five counties could win it imo.

Mayo
Dublin
Galway
Derry
Kerry

Hard to see a challenger outside of that.

Kerry look disinterested, whatever is going on down there, they’re a big fish that the likes of Armagh are well capable of taking down in a preliminary QF. Maybe Jack is doing the Kerry thing of priming his lads for the last four. But the way they are going they may not make it.

Dublin have some panel, even if some of the greats are aged/aging. Something unconvincing about them this year, and you get the sense that they don’t fully buy in to a Jimless Dublin. Capable of hammering anyone that I mentioned above, and for that reason I’d have them as the smart money option. Bizarrely they look devoid of confidence for some reason.

Mayo are actually playing an attractive brand of football and look to have found some forwards for once. When they are bringing Tommy goals and Paddy Durcan off the bench you know they might be on to something. Suspect at the back and them and their estrogen filled supporters can’t figure out blanket defense’s at all at all. Maybe this is finally the year. We all know it wont be somehow.

Galway are playing a very very structured gameplan and are hard beat. Conditioning and forward options off the bench have improved a lot this year imo. Still waiting for these forwards to all click on the one day. Could be waiting a while. Question marks over where best to play Cillian McDaid and whether Paul Conroy has the legs for Croke Park. Need to beat a Kerry or especially Dublin in Croke Park. Was it 1933 since Galway last beat Dublin in the championship @Cheasty? I can see the attraction in tipping them, but i’m not buying it just yet.

Derry are a quality side but with their manager gone it will be interesting to see how they will evolve. The gameplan last year had it’s limitations. It meant Galway comfortably beat them, Galway are not comfortably better than them. Very capable of winning the AI for me.

Those belligerent sheep stealing cunting Rossies are going to be dangerous for whoever they get. Davy Burke seems to have managed their ire for opponents other than Mayo and Galway.

1 Like

Quote of the year i must say. Waterford v Kerry was a significant event in football. More chance of it in hurling.

The Kerry hurlers would bate the Waterford footballers at football

1 Like

Waterford beat them in U21 in 2003 and gave Kerry a good game at Senior in Killarney in 2006.

There was a massive row in the Kerry dressing room after that game as Jack O’Connor referenced in his book.

The 2007 game was in Dungarvan I think and it was seen as a chance of an upset, so much so that RTE broadcast it live. Kerry gave them a good clipping though and that was that.

He’s a serious player.

You dont need Performa Sports mate, trust yourself.

1 Like

1934 the last time Galway beat Dublin.

Jack O’Connor is a great first year manager but in his previous two spells was a poor second year manager.

Galway look the best of what has been on offer so far I think. Davy Burke the most impressive manager so far. There’s a nice bit of steel about Roscommon. It’s impossible to see them win the All-Ireland but they might be ahead of Armagh and people mention Armagh as possible contenders.

Dublin beat Galway in the finals of 1963 and 1983 and Manchester United won the FA Cup in both those years, however Manchester United lost the FA Cup final this year so perhaps that is an omen that Galway will beat Dublin in this year’s final. That does not seem a particularly unlikely outcome at this stage.

1 Like

For whatever reason a lot of TFK’ers tend to doubt/question my opinion on a lot of stuff, so its always nice to see the laptop guys from Performa Sports vindicate my views on certain things.

Listen, you can be right and wrong, but at least trust yourself.

10 scores against Derry and 12 against Roscommon is not a positive sign that Dublin are going to click against any sort of decent team.

Facile wins over Louth and Kildare are papering over cracks.

Dunno if that holds so true anymore.

Mullinahone, Carrick, Ballingarry & Killenaule in South East firmly hurling first.

In the West, bar maybe Galtee Rovers & Aherlow it’s small ball as King too.

Rockwell and Arravale very much Football first in West.

Cahir, Clonmel, Moyle Rovers, Ardfinnan & Fethard the big one’s in the South that need to be backboning Tipp Football.