2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I’d give a free for that.

yeah, thats not a free. I wonder did the referee watching the overall play around think he double hopped, ie think that his strange way of letting it drop was a second bounce and he got it wrong. Plenty of players will attempt a shot and rather than be blocked, leave it drop to the ground and pick it up again. Its not a free. He didnt throw it to get an advantage or have a distinct throwing manner, it was a drop to solo or kick, and he changed his mind. You dont ever say you throw it to make a kick, so its the same here.

Looking at that again, its an awful call and no matter what you say, won the game for Cork. They werent going to get a shot in only for that happened, you cant say Roscommon would have either, but the way they play, there was only one team at that point who had a chance to have one final shot until the ref called it. Can talk about who was worthy winners and all that shite, but the only worthy winners are the ones who lead at the end. Roscommon had that chance taken off them for an awful call.

2 Likes

Watching live I thought it was a throw to himself but looking at it back there it’s clearly a hop, albeit an odd looking one.

I would argue that that is a free.

If you don’t attempt at all to kick then it is a throw. If you attempt and miss, it’s not.

It’s like the old thing that Shefflin et al perfected in hurling of throwing the ball in front of you and “accidentally” missing your hurley and picking it up again to get two more catches, a definite free that is rarely blown.

1 Like

For it to be a throw he has to play the ball ‘away’, there is no way he can be considered to be playing the ball ‘away’ there. Very unlucky but that’s sport - or if you have a persecution complex further confirmation that everyone is out to get ya.

https://twitter.com/gaelictickets/status/1673288791149142017?s=46&t=yRtB8lhW_RucCjdm3dqcBw

yeah the KK hurling solo/throw came to mind for me too, but in those instances, they throw it ahead of them and chase after it, where its clear that the ball isn’t in their possession. It never leaves his possession here, so I wouldn’t consider that a throw. There is no definition of a bounce needing to have downward pressure or anything like that. It simply says bounce. Thats what happens here, albeit it looks awkward, he drops the ball, it bounces once, and goes straight back to him, within his own vicinity which distinguishes it from the KK hurling throw.

1 Like

My exact view & was going to compare it to Shefflin too.

We’re right here so let’s just ignore the noise from others now.

3 Likes

If there had of been an imaginary Roscommon player in front of him who caught it it would definitely have been a free. The absence of the imaginary Roscommon player shouldn’t invalidate the free.

Prick.

2 Likes

Shit. Sorry, wrong log in.

Ah great tweet by Roy, he just gets the championship.

13 Likes

Prick

They were also caught under the “doing the bollox” rule. Fuck acting around handpassing over and back and going nowhere

We would have won by 5 or 6 in et either way

1 Like

“had have”

There was a clip online recently of a player who bounced the ball, and then bounced it again, rather than catch it, a team mate running by in the opposite direction caught it instead. An intercounty ref on twitter made the case that it wasnt a free because the actual bounce wasnt completed. He said it wasnt a throw either because it was a bounce.

referees, who’d be one?

These things even themselves out over a season

That sounds correct.

I’ve just seen that 2 of the 4 quarter finals aren’t being televised. :joy: