2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

This is not about patronising Monaghan, this is about giving them a pat on the head for a brave effort.

Monaghan created two good goal chances in the first half and didnā€™t take them. Dublin might have won anyway but while Monaghan defended really well and their kickouts were generally superb (an area a lot of teams fall down against Dublin), they werenā€™t clinical enough.

Dublin werenā€™t great but were clinical in the first half particularly when Monaghan probably were the better team.

Costello was enough of a threat up front throughout, and their kickouts were superb.

Only Derry can save gaelic football now

2 Likes

Best of luck to ye tomorrow. Hope ye bate those Yerra cunts.

1 Like

The only one of the new guard at the same standard of the hall of famers. A shame he gave up the hurling

2 Likes

I felt a bit sorry for Monaghan & thought they were unlucky.

Dublin are incredibly defensive. Not sure what Brollyā€™s on about.

Roy Curtis was right about James McCarthy.

3 Likes

Yes, by getting hammered

1 Like

I donā€™t know about that, they were everything you would have hoped for, but they didnā€™t bring anything unexpected on the day either.

Heā€™d be first pick ahead of David Clifford?

1 Like

McCarthy is an incredible competitor and the esteem in which heā€™s held in that group is beyond equal. Heā€™s a man on a mission this year and if they win it, theyā€™ll be no one to take it off him.

4 Likes

I sat down and watched it, the first game of the split season microwave football championship that Iā€™ve watched all year. I quite enjoyed it and felt it was possibly even a decent enough modern day game of Gaelic football, possibly based as well on the low level of expectation that I have of Gaelic football, the odd time Iā€™d take the time to watch a match.

Monaghan needed to get one if not both of those goal chances in the first half and get a 4-5 point buffer. Dublin strength in numbers off the bench was always going to tell. Monaghan did well to hold them at bay until the 60 minute mark. I thought the free against Monaghan around the 60 minute mark when the score was 0-13 to 0-12 to Dublin for the Monaghan player touching the ball on the ground was very harsh. It really knocked the stuffing out of them. It looked to me like the ball had just about bounced up into the Monaghan defenders hands. It reminded me of Mitchell Starc trying to claim a catch at Lordā€™s two weeks ago that just bounced off the ground. Hopefully the Monaghan supporters were more stoical about such sporting injustices than the MCC members were in the Long Room.

8 Likes

Mannion, McCaffrey, Cluxton and Gilroy are only there out of a sense of duty to McCarthy.

The players didnā€™t appreciate Dessie screwing him on the captaincy that time

The worst thing about the game today was towards the end with 5 minutes off added time and only three points in it you know well thereā€™s absolutely zero chance of a goal chance for Monaghan.

I was thinking in soccer as opposed to penalties after every 5 minutes of extra time a player from each team should leave the field.

1 Like

Ray is going to outdo Roy on his current trajectory. I almost started crying watching this.

Wtflip. Sure McCarthy was the only veteran in that clip

Clear free at the start

Boyne is a stones

1 Like