2023 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Yes, but derry has some fella who battered a few fellas on a night out

Nasty nasty post.

At least be didn’t kill them like Ferbie.

He showed admirable restraint

1 Like

Ah Jesus that’s outstanding. It would bring tears to your eyes. Look at the crowd and the colours.

You wouldn’t get a montage like that nowadays.

1 Like

He was man of the match in all Ireland truth be told amd that’s not to diminish Clifford’s exhibition of mark taking .

1 Like

Its outstanding. Beautifully put together.

Things just seemed to mean more back then.

The stramash in the warmup and the Tyrone lady in years at FT are absolutely iconic images.

Magnificent footballer.

I wonder why it look so long for Ulster teams to make the impact they did - really began in the early 90s. So many great players from the area.

Down apart of course in the 60’s.

It had to be Troubles related. Being a GAA player could and did get you killed.

Donegal, Cavan and Monaghan didn’t have that excuse. Donegal lost by a point to Galway in 83 semi final. Tyrone got to final in 86.

Dublin and Kerry dominated from 75 to 85. Cork and Meath dominated late 80s to start of 90s. Lots of one sided semi finals.

There were lots of other one sided games in those days too but you got one hammering and were gone. No repeated ones.

Especially when you played against another Ulster gaa team .

6 Likes

Up to the 1950s the Ulster championship was a closed shop. Cavan won it pretty much every year with an odd Monaghan success here and there. Antrim were the only six county team to be mapped.

It was only in the 1950s that six county teams started winning Ulster titles regularly. Tyrone’s first was 1956, Derry’s first 1958, Down’s first 1959. Armagh didn’t win between 1902 and 1950. Donegal didn’t win until 1972. That tradition of failure cast a long shadow, the growing competitiveness of the Ulster championship particularly from around 1970 on also meant that winning Ulster was nearly seen as an end in itself. All nine teams could harbour realistic hopes of winning it in any given year.

Kerry had the tradition. Dublin had the knowhow. You had O’Dwyer and Heffernan, who prepared their teams better than anybody else.

In the days before the other Leinster and Munster counties gave up, Dublin and Kerry were the bar. That meant you had Offaly coming along, and it became an obsession for Eugene McGee for them to beat Dublin, and later Kerry. It was an obsession for Sean Boylan and Billy Morgan to beat Dublin and Kerry respectively.

There was no real consistent standard bearer in the other provinces to drive the standards of challengers, and for obvious reasons things were difficult for Ulster teams anyway in this period. It made it more difficult for players to commit year on year. Emigration was a tempting prospect.

You could see the stirrings of an Ulster rising for a good decade or more if you looked hard enough though.

Down won the All-Ireland minor title in 1977 and the under-21 in 1979 and some of those players were still around for 1991. Then they won the minor again in 1987. Burren won two All-Ireland club titles in 1986 and 1988 (both of which I attended).

Donegal won the under-21 All-Ireland in 1982 and 1987. The 1992 All-Ireland was built on the back of those teams.

Derry won the minor in 1983 and 1989 and reached the final in 1980 and 1981, and reached two under-21 All-Ireland finals in 1983 and 1985. Lavey won the club All-Ireland in '91.

Tyrone were building something serious at underage level from 1988 on, my oul’ fella always said it was a crime against football they narrowly lost the 1988 All-Ireland minor semi-final to Kerry. They made no mistake in the under-21 final against Kerry in 1991 when they won by 20 points.

So all those counties had a clear base of players to build from.

Twice in the 1980s there were all-Ulster National League finals, 1983 and 1985. Ulster teams would regularly pummel the big southern teams in the League. Armagh knocked six goals past Kerry in 1982.

If you look at the list of Sigerson winners, Ulster teams started to dominate. Queens won in 1982 and 1990, UUJ in 1986, 1987 and 1991, St. Mary’s in 1989.

I think it took strong managers to bring teams through. Monaghan and Tyrone had success because to a large extent because they had Sean McCague and Art McRory. Donegal were successful under Brian McEniff.

1983, 1985 and 1986 showed that Ulster teams weren’t that far away, and that they had the talent, but their preparation still wasn’t on the level of Kerry. Tyrone could barely run in the last 20 minutes of the 1986 final. Donegal seriously put it up to Meath in 1990 but just didn’t have the knowhow to force it home.

There was a serious maverick nature to a lot of players in Ulster coming through in the 1980s and early 1990s. Real flair players - Frank McGuigan, Ray McCarron, Martin McHugh, John Corvan, Ger Houlahan, Dermot McNichol, Mickey Linden, James McCartan, Peter Canavan.

You needed strong managers to harness that sort of talent, instil the right preparation, and a team with swagger and momentum and tradition to break the hoodoo. That of course was Down. It probably shouldn’t have been that much of a shock that Down came along in '91 because they’d not been far off Meath in the NFL final in 1990, and it was hard enough to reach NFL finals back then. The BBC had come on board televising the Ulster championship in 1990 and that probably drove things on too. You could tell Down were serious in '91 because they had matching Puma Kings, which they demanded from the Down county board. It just so happened that Donegal and Derry were waiting in the wings with strong managers harnessing the talent they had been developing through the 1980s. When Down won, the dam burst.

20 Likes

A lovely score.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=pfbid02iVp9YVsLdDfSk2htFnm4FdbJkndwxyi8X1wx1KqaDSTAr7D3P4yzJ8gDBmLKyXyyl&id=100064381793673

A scuttery kick out, a bad solo, 2 other solos, 6 handpasses and a big fist over the bar. And some terribly awful defending.

1 Like

God bless the Tailteann

1 Like

He took about 15 steps with nobody near him.

Fucking Jonah

I remember being at one, if not both, of these games as a 4 &/or 6 year old. Can picture the diminutive John “Shorty” Treanor (spelling?) pulling the strings in attack for (The) Burren. Maybe Rathnure or Buffers Alley were playing in the hurling final but I can’t recall.

Two pointless and boring anecdotes: i) My oul’ fella and the late, great Arthur Murphy (not of Mailbag) attended the 1983 NFL final between Down and Armagh. After the game, as the crowds filed out of the Hogan Stand, an Armagh man hit his young six or seven year old son the father and mother of a slap across the face - a “rozner” as me oul’ fella used to say in ye olde Dublinese. My oul’ fella and a few others around nearly recoiled.

“Frustration”, said Arthur, in that musical but to the point old school Gardiner Street drawl of his. Ulster counties took winning very fucking seriously, and it didn’t get any more serious for Armagh in those days than a national final in Croke Park against Down.

I wonder did the Armagh man repeat the dose two years later when they again lost an all-Ulster NFL final.

ii) The week after the 1986 NFL final when Laois beat Monaghan, I attended a funeral in Monaghan. My oul’ fella was talking to my Mam’s first cousin, a Scotstown man through and through. “You must have been disappointed to lose your League title”, says me oul’ fella. “I suppose it would have been worse to lose to Dublin.”

“At least we didn’t lose to one of the other Ulster counties. That would have been far, far worse”, was the answer back.

3 Likes

I think it was Buffer’s Alley. They lost to Kilruane McDonaghs. The football was first, the hurling second.

Rathnure lost to Borrisoleigh the following year but I wasn’t at that.

Burren will be back winning an All Ireland Club again within 5 years.

Make sure you are there to see it. :facepunch:

1 Like