2023 Club Championships

I would say it’s more the system than the positional selections, but I’m sure the consistency of selection helps with that familiarity. I think they’re like Limerick in how well structured and organised they are.

2 years in a row now lads have been bigging up Slaughtneil on here. Miles off it.

They have slipped back on their 2016-2021 form but to say they are miles off it is nonsense. The Ulster teams are good and I expect Cushendall to give OLG loads of it. There’s a huge snobbery towards Ulster Club Hurling here.

Dunloy hammered Thomas’s last year.
Cushendall beat Sarsfields from Galway in 2016 and lost to Thomas’s AET in 2019. They have pedigree.
Slaughtneil were unlucky they kept running into Ballygunner/Ballyhale/Na Piarsaigh/Cuala at their peaks. In all those games they performed well.

These Ulster teams would beat the Cork Champions every year for the last decade along with many more County Champions from your Wexford’s/Clare’s and even Tipperary.

7 Likes

Are you suggesting ballygunner are hopped up on goofballs?

Structurally, they play very similarly to Limerick. I don’t know if Seanie O’Donnell is still involved with them this year but his fingerprints are all over their setup from the past few years.

Deep-lying defence, half-forwards dropping back the field to create the space inside, huge work rate and incredibly strong on breaking ball.

2 Likes

Nearly sure I heard Pauric Mahony say he was recently in an interview

He is very much still involved.

They took a bit of a punt on David Franks I’d say when they first got him onboard but its worked out tremendously well.

Incorrect, he was with Na Piarsaigh on the Tuesday night prior to there match.

Jeez Ballygunner’s reach knows no bounds so.

Shur SOKY thanked him in the speech yesterday.

https://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/1731672315669184855

A serious ‘up yours’ to Kilcoo from the Ulster Council.

Proper trolling :grinning:

4 Likes

Ballygunner v St Thomas’s in Portlaoise at 7.30 on Saturday December 16th.

That’s a good venue draw for St Thomas. Portlaoise is a tight pitch which gets very soft with a bit of rain.

1 Like

The Gunners will have a team of officials up there tomorrow with Trundle Wheels measuring it out so they can replicate the measurements on their own training pitch. The height of the grass will also be taken into account.

I hope @myboyblue and co look after them.

1 Like

Willie and Mick will give them a good welcome

1 Like

What a time to play such a big game , will be fcukin baltic at that time in the midlands .

4 Likes

Ridiculous scheduling but tells you all you need to know about what the GAA HQ think of the Club Championship’s.

3 Likes

A tremendous excuse to head out early

Early?

There’ll be lads on about their fifth pint in most pubs at that time the week before Christmas.

Simply not a time befitting of the occasion.

It should be played at 3.30pm on Sunday January 21st.

1 Like

I was speaking from a personal perspective; I appreciate the timing doesn’t suit everyone.

I was informed this evening that the outgoing Uachtarán was in attendance at the Mid Under 21 final for a few minutes yesterday. Did he do the presentation in Semple Stadium?

1 Like

BG will measure if one side of the pitch is narrower than the other and replicate that too. They will take every dimension to see if the pitch is marked / measured out correctly.

1 Like