2024/2025 Premier League - The Drive for 5

I don’t think most people understand how badly run the football club was under Ed Woodward and the glazers.

You won’t fix 10-15 years off falling behind in almost every aspect of the game in six months.

Trying to blame ten hag for everything is very odd. He was against the casimiro signing and wanted to sell him this summer and keep mctominay while he gets roundly criticised for signing casimiro and selling mctominay.

The way the vultures circle around Manchester United is incredible. No other sports team in the world attracts attention like it.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

1 Like

On that pod they also made the point about Ineos obsessing about marginal gains by cutting staff in the megastore,… He is essentially penny wise and pound foolish.

The biggest gain was in front of their faces with ETH. They can’t sack him now in the short term as they backed him to stay in June and that would make them look stupid. This procrastination will cost them CL qualification again and the cycle continues. They should sack him now get Tuchel.

You mentioned players there, however he has failed to implement afunctioning structure and style of play in now his third season. Within three games last season Ange had it, the new Brighton and Liverpool managers have it this season.

2 Likes

Spurs were worse than man United this weekend and spent an awful lot of money.

Liverpool and Brighton have been a really well run clubs for a long time now. Possibly upwards of ten years similarly to Man City.

They’ve built their clubs which allows a manager come in and things to continue without much upheaval.

They’ve have top people in several positions which allows a manager to succeed.

The very opposite to man United under Ferguson. When he left they’d nobody and just made mistake after mistake.

I’m amazed how lazy some of the journalists are. You can’t compare the last year ten years
At man united to Liverpool or anybody else. Only Barcelona are comparable they are on the verge of going bust.

When ten hag got the job Miguel Delaney said it would take years to fix man united and now it’s taking years everyone is getting jumpy.

1 Like

The Boss and David Gill ran Old Trafford and Carrington from top to bottom when they were there. As soon as they left, nobody had a notion what to do.

Even still there does seem to be a bit of a curse about the place. Every single kind of player has been signed and every single kind of manager has been tried and ultimately failed for the last 10 years.

I know you cant underestimate the BIGNESS of the club, but you’d still think at least one manager and one player would be some way successful for a reasonably significant period of time.

Having said all that, the Tipperary MUFC Supporters Club Whatsapp Group are still backing Erik and Sir Jim, so that’s good enough for me.

1 Like

They’re deluded. I heard a good point made on another podcast. United have had two good managers. Busby and Fergusin. Outside that they’ve been shit.

1 Like

The Ratoath Inn are also backing 7en Oag and hope he stays forever.

1 Like

The Red Devils outside Ferguson years when they had more money than everybody else and routinely broke transfer records haven’t been a successful club since the 1960s which is 60 years ago now.

2 Likes

I think post Fergie they just repeatedly panicked. Anthony and casimiro were panicked signings.

When you overpay for players it rarely works out. They’ve continually overpaid players to join.

Di Maria
Falcao
Sanchez
Ibra
Casimiro
Cavani
Ronaldo
Varane
Matic

They all signed all those lads on huge wages past their peaks. You can’t keep doing that.

They are on the right path now but the road is winding.

1 Like

Schweinsteiger was another classic of this genre.

Pogba another mistake.

Ah stop :joy:

Ferguson spent fortunes on players all the time.

1 Like

You look at Real Madrid.

That dominated football for over ten years now.

Ronaldo was a star but he was hungry for success. If I’m not mistaken they signed kaka the same summer for big money and he didn’t work out.

Marcelo, benzema, modric, vini junior, the two young French mid fielders, ramos, casimiro, Bellingham, rodygo and valverde weren’t exactly superstars when joining. They came from smaller clubs and had tasted huge success.

During that period they signed bale and Hazard for mad money and hazard was a busted flush and bale not the success possibly many had hoped.

It isn’t rocket science.

He was totally outspent by Chelsea and Man City but still won two of his last four premier league titles.

I think in the premier league era under Fergie only 4 times were man united were the highest spenders in the league but you can make the same bad joke for 100th time again.

1 Like

Ferguson instigated the inflationary madness. Keane, Ince, Cole, Ferdinand, Rooney. He did exactly what Bayern do in the Bundesliga.

2 Likes

What did Liverpool instigate when they signed Andy Carroll for 30 million?

They were all under 23 when signed.

Duncan castles said the summer Jose signed matic he was offered Rodri and turned it down in favour of experience.

That’s the best of example of how not to do things.

Whether it’s horse racing, hurling, rugby or soccer it’s all the same.

People think it’s different but it’s not. You need to have top people in all positions. You need everyone working together and invariably you want young lads coming together to build something.

Sometimes like the tampa bay buccaneers patching up stars can work but it rarely does and rarely lasts long either.

1 Like

Imagine if united had the chance to have prior knowledge of Pogba before they signed him.

Easier blame the black kid though.

Selling Evans, Welbeck, the Da Silva twins and a few more young lads was just madness.

Januzaj could have been a star under Sir Alex.

1 Like

They didn’t sign a better centre back than evans post Vidic in 2006 until Martinez.

He was sold under van gaal I think.

Smalling
Jones
Rojo
Bailey
Varane
Maguire
Lindelof

All signed off the top of my head.

Welbeck was sold for falcao.

You have got to target young players who are hungry for success between that 18 and 24 bracket.

1 Like