2024/2025 Premier League - The Drive for 5

Its like backing Horses or Club GAA Teams - you back unexposed ones on the way up and with scope for improvement.

Not ones on the way down.

Above all else the best judge of a player is a player themselves and then their team mates.

It’s fairly obvious over paying for players doesn’t work for a number of reasons.

The main reason is that the team mates will see through it very quickly in training.

Secondly the player themselves will know.

I heard o Driscoll in his final pre season he’d no decision made and by the end of a session he knew he was done.

Similarly carragher said recently in his first training session suarez obviously very good.

The same window Liverpool players crazy money for Andy Carroll. I wonder what the first impressions were there?

Miguel seems to have forgotten that Ferguson handpicked Moyes and told the fans to get behind him and 9 months later they were flying planes demanding his sacking.

How many times have you referenced Spurs now,
It’s fucking MAN UNITED, and you comparing it with Spurs :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Regardless of age, you’ve got to sign players with the right attributes as well. No matter what time you sign Antony, he will never be quick therefore would likely never succeed as an EPL winger. The same with Sancho. Why sign them?

It’s not easy obviously but there’s some were never going to make it and are much more grave mistakes than others. Signings like Pogba and DiMaria at the time were correct in terms of their ability physically and technically.

Injuries killed Pogba and DiMaria was a top player for 10 years after he left.

Disappointing ageism on show here.

Spurs in fairness to them have a distinctive style and pattern of play which they play to. The manager probably hasn’t the personnel to go toe to toe with top teams and win every week.

A big mark against ETH is that there is no distinctive style or pattern of play. They’re currently playing 4-4-2 since the cup final where it worked well.

I’d like to see him try 3 at the back. He has gone through every other system. Conte or Tuchel would.

Ivan Toney should’ve gotten sorted for sure.

Ross Barkley would’ve been interesting at Old Trafford. He was sensational last year finally picked in his proper position. Looked fitter than ever.

Toney was very poor for the last six months.

He’s of dubious character.

A big no from me.

I think he’s just actually a bit thick. Or certainly a terrible communicator in English. And has little to no charisma. It was obvious the minute we heard his first interviews. Even the way he clenches his fists to celebrate is wrong. He might actually be a bit of a dope too though. Why does he just keep signing players who he managed or played in holland to an almost comical level? When has that ever been a successful strategy.
The only one single good thing I can see about him is that black jacket he wears.

1 Like

I’d say if you were to measure character, Toney would buy and sell a fernandes. I cant recall Toney even pleading to come off because his side were losing. fernandes was already remonstrating with his teammates before the goal had gone in last Sunday.

Toney would have transformed united.

1 Like

You cant go round calling yourself the biggest club in the world without being judged accordingly. United aren’t worse run than Chelsea, yet they still finished behind them last season. As well as Aston Villa, who’s record signing wouldn’t make United’s top 15, and Spurs, who’ve won zero trophies, diddy or otherwise, since 2008.

Loyalty to ETH is one thing, and its nice to stick by a fella, but he cant be excused of everything that happens on the pitch. It’s his job to make the best of what he has, regardless of what happens upstairs, and there’s no way he is doing that.

2 Likes

I’d say man united are much worse run than Chelsea for a very long time now.

Chelsea have an excellent record of identifying very good players.

That’s Chelsea who are on their 7th manager this decade, and we’re not even half way through it

I’d agree but it does have an impact. You have fellas saying oh Aston Villa are good team or Liverpool improved or spurs but it isn’t comparable to man united.

Bar possibly Barcelona no club was run like man united.

Could’ve been the modern Cantona. He has that swagger about him.

3 Likes

I agree, they have been poorly run. But Chelsea have been a shit show and they finished higher.

ETH takes them training every day. He works with them. Has done for three years now and it’s worse they’re getting

They ain’t getting worse. They are getting better. You seemed to miss where he’s one a trophy in each of his first two seasons and he’s three games into his 3rd season.

Chelsea have been much better run than man united for the last decade. They’ve won at least one league possibly two and a champions league.

Above all else though they have a good academy and a very good scouting network.

They have different problems but again not comparable to man united.