2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Untrue,he would still lay it off.

3 Likes

The offensive mark is just admitting defeat. It’s horrific.

You must have incredibly dim people thinking it’s a solution to save Gaelic football.

The two point scoring arc is much more preferable as it encourages skill and creating space.

Which are the two things that makes Gaelic football interesting.

1 Like

One of the most iconic moments in gaa history and it would not happen now thanks to the clueless rule makers.

Horrific is somebody being killed in a car crash,calm down.

3 Likes

A rule on successive handpasses is all I can think of. Rugby league has six tackles and players and officials have to count. But I think this would be harder again in Gaelic football. The counting would be constant.

It was tried in the 1994/95 NFL. Successive handpasses were banned. Even that rule was deemed too complicated at the time. It’s another thing for the referee to deal with, to confuse them.

The problem is the more complicated rules become, the less attractive a sport becomes. People turn to games and they don’t know the rules and they lose interest and stop going to games.

I don’t even think a ban on successive handpasses would necessarily change the approach. Teams have so much space in their own half of the field now as the opposition retreats that you could easily kick pass 15/20 times in succession without meeting a challenge.

Ultimately what needs to happen is for the negative tactical approach to fail, for positive tactics to prevail. It would have been a disaster for football had Derry won today.

Kerry’s approach was turgid but at least they got there in the end.

But innovative coaches are very few and far between.

You can’t hand pass two times in a row similar to hopping the ball

But that can punish good attacking play and make things easier for blanket defences. Unintended consequences.

Look at Down’s goal against Meath in 1991. Kevin Foley’s goal against Dublin in 1991. Legendary goals created by quick handpasses.

1 Like

And we don’t know how they are working. Also 12 behind the ball is still a big number. Mayo stifled Dublin in the 2016 drawn final just by bringing one sweeper and the midfielders back.

The hand passing is fine,I think the 2 point scoring zone and having to keep 3 forwards inside the 45 would be sufficient for now.And of course banning the fisted point

1 Like

Eamon Fitzmaurice said they went well.If you have 3 forwards and 3 backs inside the 45 you will have to leave people up the field incase the attack breaks down,you shouldn’t see any more of the 15 man retreat

He would say that though. We don’t know how the rules work until they’re in action in senior knockout championship football.

Well doh

I don’t like the three forwards rule.

You have to give the under dogs a chance.

It’s duh not d’oh and I’d suggest there’s a considerable possibility that d’oh will be the general reaction if we see the new rules in action.

That’s makes no sense,are you drinking

We won’t know till we try

You’re basically going giving Kerry and Dublin a huge advantage.

The underdogs would have very little chance. All out defence can be brilliant when it’s done right.

I’ve no objection to trying but the problem with the way the GAA works is political significance becomes attached to rule changes and other changes and the GAA becomes very reluctant to row back on things that don’t work and we have to suffer them when it’s obvious they don’t work.

It’s like somebody who chooses a shade of paint for a room and it becomes obvious soon after starting painting that it is the wrong colour and it’s horrible, but instead of admitting the mistake and going back and choosing another colour and taking the hit on the bought paint, they continue with the shite colour and everybody ends up hating the room and constantly grumbling because of the horrible colour.

The GAA love proceeding with sunken cost fallacy.

We never got out of it.

Like people from Cork calling things “a disaster!!” A tsunami is a disaster, not a bit of traffic on Donnybrook Hill.

2 Likes