2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

Mileage, Hunger, over reliance on a few lads. Great team done, very ver very weak coach and a cunt in goal.

Great team though, greatest ever.

There is no greater sight in Gaelic Football than a Galway team in full flow.

6 Likes

That link never dawned on me until I saw that video last night. I have fond memories of Gráinne Seoige looking fantastic whilst hosting that show on a Sunday night back in the day (circa.2010). She was in her prime back then. Sean Mulkerrins was majestic yesterday in fairness. Surprised he’s not starting full-back. It was a gamble letting Fitzy keep tabs on Con. The same Fitzy who ate Boojum 20 times in a month not so long ago.

1 Like

I watched a few mins of Armagh Kerry in 2002 there lately was on TV recently. Some amount of absolutely launching it.

The space made for better forward play and one on one battles all over. I don’t know how you get back to it though.

All rule suggestions I have heard such as time limit for attacks, reducing handpasses, banning handpass scores etc all make dropping bodies back MORE rewarding.

Or else they are just asking for trouble such as keeping three men up, who is policing that etc.

One thing I think might work is 3 ff and 3 fbs having to be inside the 21 for a kickout, as in behind the keeper and the kickout having to cross the 45. Maybe only after a score. Or only if the keeper asks for it giving the option of a quick kickout if it’s more advantageous.

I think simplistically the best solution might be 13 aside. Fitness tactics etc are unrecognisable since they settled on 15.

I actually think the game is sorting itself out a little. Setting up like Derry today is never going to win you a big game and the better teams know that. It’s a fucking awful watch while they figure it out though

1 Like

I have a big soft spot for Galway football. Ja, Joyce, Donnellan, Meehan et al were my favourite team

8 Likes

Ja’s the man

1 Like

Ja and Maurice Fitz

1 Like

Lads talk about Dublin being a Dad’s army and how they’ll be in trouble in the not too distant future with the class of 93’ retiring. I’d say Kerry don’t have anyone under the age of 25 in their starting line-up. I’d imagine there’s nobody born in this century. A grand age profile at the minute but they need a serious infiltration of young talent soon.

In the late 90s to ‘00s they were always the purist footballing team for me .
I don’t recall Galway having any real hardmen/ cynical defenders like others had?

Sean Armstrong was my favourite footballer growing up

The funny thing is everything being said about the dubs now was said after mayo bet them 3 years ago .

A serious transitional period is coming to be fair. So many of the marquee names are 30+. Even Con is 28 which seems mad. I’d love to see a knowledgable Dub here put together a prospective Dublin team in 2030 like the Guardian do for England every so often. Lethal Lenny would surely be in there somewhere. Blathnáid’s young lad a grizzled veteran by then.

1 Like

Kerry are bang average with a handful of excellent footballers.

Think Jacko is a dinosaur too. Leaving Clifford inside all day and 5 Derry lads in front of him. Bring him out and let him run at them.

But the big teams win the all Ireland’s in years where there’s no great team. Kerry have won nearly all their all Ireland’s this century where someone else has taken out their main opposition for them.

Famously never beat Tyrone. Mayo bate Dublin for them for the last one. Donegal bate Dublin for them the time before.

I’d say you are looking at them beating Galway in 2000 since they met and bet the arguably next best team in the country in a final.

A lot of Cork and Mayos being bate. Probably being harsh enough on them a few of the years

1 Like

Kerry beat Dublin en route to the 2022 All Ireland.

2 Likes

There was a saying in the absence of a great side Kerry win the all Ireland.

I do think outside of Clifford this is an average Kerry outfit. Mark o Connor was a huge loss to them.

True. I’m probably talking rope :joy:

I haven’t the memory of some lads on here. I can’t remember matches played two weeks ago

Pie in the sky to be thinking refs can count how many men in one half or count handpasses when they’ve been reffing as long as they have and havn’t got the hang of counting how many steps a player takes yet. Carrying three cards, a book, a whistle, an earpiece and an abacus next year. Maybe the rosary beads would make it more compact and invoke the help of God almighty him/her/itself.

5 Likes

I think it could probably work at intercounty level. But these rules have to apply at club too or where are we going and gawdtelpus tis bad enough being a ref as it stands