2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

I like the 40 yards for giving refs shit as a new rule. But fuck me when you are playing club and the refs are utterly incompetent it’s tough going to bite your tongue

1 Like

It’s awful gimmicky as well.

Peaks and troughs.

They need to get the structure right. Am I right in thinking Derry lost four championship games? They were very flat today but they’d extra time last week. It takes it’s toll.

There was times during Kerry v Derry today that if you had 10 refs on the pitch, you couldn’t ref it well.

I like the point outside the 45.

5 I think. 2014-2018. The first team was Killian Spillane, Burns, Tom O’ Sullivan, O’ Beaglaoich and the aforementioned Mark O’ Connor. Gavin White and Dara Moynihan were 2015 against Tipp, Seanie O’ Sé was 2016, Clifford scored 4-4 in the 2017 final against Derry. They didn’t get much off the 2018 team. The curly haired Walsh fella who went out to visit Ronaldinho was the star of it but he wasn’t even starting for UL a few years later.

They won no U20 finals from those minor teams. 2017 was a fantastic ambush by Galway in the U21 semi-final before they foolishly changed the age grade to U20’s. Dublin overturned a highly fancied Donegal team in the other semi and then took care of Galway in the final. Clifford and O’ Sé weren’t even allowed play U20’s in 2018/19 which was terrible really.

4 Likes

It was very noticeable after yesterday’s game the respect between both sets of players and managers, it’s a sadly rare sight in modern times. Some greats of the game going around seeking each other out and offering congratulations/commiserations. Far too many in the modern game, like Harte, don’t understand the difference between ‘glory’ and ‘winning things’. The game is about glory, Derry exiting in the manner they did today is as far away as one can get from glory.

2 Likes

I like the idea of the 2 pointer outside a 40 metre arc but four points for a goal is silly. It’s not like there’s a shortage of goals. They’ll just train a load of behemoths who’ll be able to score from the halfway line and then attackers will have no option but learn how to tackle.

That was some Dublin team in 2017 too.

O’Callaghan, Howard, Paddy Small, Eoin Murchan, Evan Comerford and one or two more.

Lads were just better prepared for Senior after U21.

1 Like

I’ve been disappointed enough with Seanie Shea given the clearly unbelievable talent he has. Often anonymous enough in games bar frees.

Now he’s well worth carrying for frees and his moments. But he’s better than that. He should be grabbing games by the neck and getting ball to Clifford.

Don’t think Kerry have gotten their forward balance right yet. They certainly don’t know how to best utilise Shea and Clifford together

2 Likes

In fairness it would be hard not to win a minor with Clifford

4 points for a goal also incentivises even more defence considering how hard it is to score 4 points.

2 Likes

Also, Clifford was shite today.

He was. But he was held in a bear hug for most of the game and had 13 other Derry lads sat in front of him.

But Kerry should have been better at breaking that down. TBF they did so comfortably enough for a finish. And a win is a win

1 Like

Yeah I don’t know how Donegal were so fancied for that game. I suppose Eoghan Bán Gallagher and Jamie Brennan had played a fair bit of senior by then.

1 Like

I hope your bet lands . I just think Galway are further ahead in their development than Donegal .
Mcginness has done some job. Is it a full time gig for him ?

Jimmy has the inside scoop on Galway too having trained them on the down low back around autumn 2020.

2 Likes

For me the best games of football I ever saw were Kerry v mayo replay in Limerick and Donegal v Dublin in 2014.

Donegal v Dublin doesn’t happen with these 3 men in side the 45 rule or that sort of stuff.

1 Like

Christ that Peadar Mogan is some yoke. I’ve seen very little of Donegal this year but he was like a young Jack McCaffrey in the highlights package there.

I know what you are saying. But what level do you cut a rule change at. I was at the Laois county senior final last year. It was putrid. Finished 7 points to 6. Great day because the lad i was there for won a county medal but it was dung.

1 Like

That is huge