2024 All Ireland Senior Football Championship

It would be fairly unprecedented for a sub to win footballer of the year. Would Barry McCambridge be a possibility? Think I heard that he only came back from injury for the Ulster Final onwards though.

I just read one article on an admittedly clickbait site that says he’s odd on favourite! Defo an All-Star but FOTY?!

@myboyblue may have to be put on watch list if an Armagh corner back back gets FOTY.

Who did the Sunday Game give its FOTY to?

Strongly disagree on that myself. There were a series of really bad decisions, firstly the stone wall penalty not given. A number of other decisions too, I think John galvin had a point scored and a free given against him in extra time for steps when he kicked it on his fourth. That match stands out to me above all others as the most biased refereeing performance I’ve ever seen. Limerick had the game won in normal time and in extra time but for wrongful ref decisions in Cork’s favour. It smacked of the the shabby treatment a lesser team could get in a qualifier game. That’s my recollection of it anyway.

Most of the time Cork were blown out of the water by that Kerry team, when push came to shove They took some amount of hammerings in Croke park from Kerry from 2006 - 2009. Only fell over the line against a poor Down outfit, who had slain their nemesis Kerry

Cork beat the team who would go on to win eight of the next ten All-Irelands. And a county who had never lost an All-Ireland final.

Looking back on it it was a top, top All-Ireland win.

1 Like

Wasn’t Maurice Shanahan being talked up as hurler of the year in 2017?

Was he?

By Maurice maybe

Was nice to see him at the Clare homecoming Monday night with his kid up in his shoulders all decked out in Clare colours they both looked to be enjoying the evening

3 Likes

I thought Limerick equalized with Cork in 2010 due to a last minute penalty?

2009 was daylight robbery. Ref as good as had a Cork jersey on.

Cork were a good team back then though. Often got to semis and finals. Limerick were an awful match-up for them

1 Like

I think it was sort of an idea being put forward. He was the super sub one year anyway.

Does he live in Clare ?

Yup, wife is a Broadford woman

1 Like

My dad was telling me Lohan is gone to France on his holidays.

Think he went the Tuesday after the all Ireland. Slipped away quietly and let the players get on with touring the county as would be his style

4 Likes

I’m delighted for him.

Jamie Barron was the best hurler in the country in 2017 and it wasn’t even close.

Kevin Moran was the third nominee that year.

O Neill was outrageous against Kerry and excellent again on SundayHes in a team of fairly robotic players so he generally stands out anyways apart from Campbell footballing wise.If Galway had won Conroy or McDaid possibly.

Peadar Mogąn should be FOTY, but in keeping with the average year it was, it’ll be Rian O Neill because he stood up when he was needed.

This All Ireland is very similar to Tyrone’s recent one and mirror Corks one, and a few of the Limerick ones

The sunday game gave it to some lad nobody ever heard of until a month ago.

I think you’ve the wrong game
In the 2010 qualifier in the Garlic Grounds Cork were cruising to victory, a lot of people had left the stadium and Limerick got the draw from a penalty and a couple of points in injury time

But Cork were awful the same night and could easily have went out

2 Likes