2024 Nations League B - Gameweek 1 - Ireland v England & Greece

I’m pulling the piss funnily enough. Bayting it long is not the answer some thought either. Spocks personality and communication skills were horrific but his general philosophy on playing wasn’t as ridiculous as some of ye make out.

It was ridiculous. Would any club manager, if he found himself having the Irish squad, even consider playing like that?

We’ve some really promising talent coming through in spite of that though. Look no further than Murphy and Fitzgerald signing from GUFC and going to Newcastle. That’s still the mark of great talent till we can compete in Europe’s top tier at club.

Most barstoolers blame the FAI but do choice all themselves to support more players like Murphy and Fitz getting developed so that we’re not left with bums like Smallbone starting at international level. I’ll be delighted to see a better organisation than the FAI but it’s not the exclusive issue in Irish association soccer.

1 Like

There’s nothing wrong with playing long ball when you’re set up correctly.
We were hoofing it 36 yards away from any player today.

Midfield is the big problem… Smallbone, Mullhumpty dumpty are way off international standard .

But when it does get up top it rarely sticks

3 Likes

Thank god they don’t come too often, our taxes being used to pay all that overtime to all those Gardai because of the scum that follows the English team.

Never saw as many Gardai in Dublin ever. I thought the FAI would have to pony up for all the overtime. Choppers in the air all day too

I thought the rule was outside the stadium is on the taxpayer inside is on the FAI. There was talk that a lot of the English animals that were banned from travelling to mainland Europe to watch football were going to come down through the north for this .

I think roads/entrances to the stadium is also whoever is organising event

1 Like

Also no checks on ferry. Hopefully the AGS fill there boots

There’s nothing wrong with playing short ball when you’re set up correctly either

Greece beating Finland 3-0 with 10 minutes to go. They’ll beat Ireland on Tuesday and then the pains will begin for the dentist.

The government need to invest in Irish football. It’s ridiculous having all these ringfenced funds for horse whipping & greyhound disappearing, & 80%* of remaining grants going to muldoon nonsense like GGA.

Hradecky, who’s been a fine keeper in the Bundesliga/Farmersliga for many years, let a back pass roll under his foot & yer man walked the ball in for the first Greek goal. It was a freak one that changed the game.

I wouldn’t fear the Greeks if Heimir learns some lessons from today. He’s been saying all week he’s leant on O’Shea but he needs to take full responsibility here & do his own thing.

Playing the same 5 at the back set up that hasn’t worked for the last 4 years isn’t the way forward.

*made up percentage

You need good players for that

1 Like

Was there a massive demand beforehand

Plenty of tickets to be had on the poisonous ticketmaster site. Not sure what the demand was like before the English game

Didnt see any trouble today at least thankfully. Did pass through the Slatterys/ Bath avenue junction around 3.45 and a few tanked up lads did seem to be trying to goad a reaction from English fans passing through on their way to ground

And for the booting the ball as far as you can stuff

Desperate stuff. The old adage that it is harder get off the Irish team than on it still applies.

1 Like

Not according to the OTB generation. Just empower Will Smallbone and he’ll become some sort of Ineista/Modric hybrid and you can play away

Maybe the government could invest in Irish football and take a percentage of any transfer fee for players who make it. Enterprise Ireland could take a share in each promising player at 16.

Reinvest the proceeds.

Underage football in Ireland is typically horribly elitist where aul lads are trying to act out some Jose Mourinho fantasy and bus in players to bolster their local team and the young local lad is asked to step aside. That’s well and good for adults but shouldn’t be happening underage and loses lots of kids.

It clearly hasn’t worked to produce any significant number of good players.

4 Likes