2024 Nations League B - Gameweek 1 - Ireland v England & Greece

The pearl-clutching around this has been crazy. English fans boo the national anthem of the opposition constantly. Many nations do similar, especially if playing against near neighbours.

2 Likes

West Brits gonna West Brit

Greece will be well up for this. Looked excellent v Finland. Hard to be optimistic.

You can’t eat a flag. Nationalism is a load of bollox at times though. Chest thumping through chance of being born in a country with man made lines drawn for the border. The Argies take the biscuit bawling crying for the anthem in every single sport and their country falling apart.

Is Argentina’s economy not performing very well at the minute?

1 Like

I’d fucking love it if we beat Greece.

1 Like

I can’t remember if it’s true but Ken early referred to their being silence for the English anthem in 2015. The rice grealish thing obviously played a part but there has some kind of unexplainable cultural Wolfe tonesy type shift too

Probably because the numbnuts who did it the other day were in primary school back then in 2015 or watching it at home.

Here, King Arthur, fuck off

The England game in 2015 was a post-season friendly played at midday on a Sunday in which none of Declan Rice, Jack Grealish or Lee Carsley were involved. Jack Charlton was due to make an appearance.

The game the other day was at 5pm on a Saturday.

https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1833535916574707863?s=46

He’s really been treated disgracefully here. Sad to see.

1 Like

Fair points. it was also closer to the date of our nation maturing in 2007 too. Do you think there has been some sort of Wolfe tonesy cultural shift too though?

Yes, in response to Brexit, and by simpletons.

A lot of the crowd at the game on Saturday were Fisher Price lads playing at being “intimidating”. They were about as intimidating as Graham Norton with flu.

The English players were laughing at their “efforts”.

The Irish crowd is not a proper football crowd, it’s a pints and PDC type bantz crowd.

2 Likes

Sinclair Armstrong puts the U21s 1-0 up against Latvia

3 Likes

Playing nice stuff under Crawford too

Greece will win 2-0

1-1 now. Rocco Vata almost doubled the lead before the concession of a soft equaliser.

Stop the awkward squad wouldnt like that

I was at the 2015 game & I can’t remember much about it. It was an end of season friendly rather than the cut throat Nations League and, back then pre split-season, GGA championship would have been the main focus of the public & commentariat (is this a word?). I do recall there was a presentation on the pitch to Jack Charlton just before the teams came out & he received a great reception from both sets of fans, as opposed to any Rice/Grealish rancour. So it was lower stakes, less build up & more Charlton related bonhomie.

2-1 Latvia ffs