A serious discussion about the merits of rugby football

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 862047, member: 24”]As a sport, I don’t mind rugby. I would not agree that there is no skill to it but I would also contend that the skill levels aren’t the highest either.

But a few things around it piss me off utterly:

• MUNSTER. I despise this and everything about it. I hate the way that people from the arse-end of Waterford or Kerry or somewhere claim allegiance to this ‘team’ as they take it that they are representing them, even though there is not a rugby club within an ass’ roar of them. I despise the way that they believe that they are the real rugby fans because they are not as upper class as Leinster. I hate the way they go on about Bull Hayes or Super Man O’Connell. I hate the way they sing the Fields of Athenry even though it has nothing to do it. Underpinning it all is this sense of being the true fan, and fucking massive arrogance, even though half the cunts jumped on the bandwagon. Also Munster in it’s current state is as a result of the commencement of the Heineken Cup. I would nuke all Munster fans if I got the chance.

• The way rugby is seen as being the sport of networkers. Fucking shower of cunts. I arrived into the canteen one day and there was some cunt going on about a great weekend for Irish Sport as all four provinces won. What would you know about Irish Sport you utter cunt of a man? There is horrible snobbish element to it as well - cunts look down their nose at you if you start discussing football or GAA even though they wouldn’t know anything about sport.

• The way birds have an interest in it. What the fuck is that about? Again it comes back to this sort of ‘cool’ thing to do. Load of rubbish.

• The way they make a big deal out of the most basic tasks. For instance, Sean O’Brien is the best ‘ball carrier’ in the team. What does that mean - that he can ‘carry the ball’ better than others? Who even measures that? Also so what if they can carry the ball!! Another one is a lifter - John Hayes is the best lifter in the world. In that he can lift a lad up. Fucking hell.

• The fact that most of the people who are into it, including the birds, have absolutely no idea of the majority of the rules. I don’t know most of them but I don’t pretend to be an expert unlike those Munster cunts.[/quote]

:clap::clap::clap:

POST OF THE YEAR.

FUCK MUNSTER ROGBEE.

The patheticness of it doenst stop within the province of Munster though. I know 2 Galway men personally who own Munster jerseys (both have dropped out of my close circle of people I call friends since). I also worked with the ultimate bandwagoner from Carlow in Oz who wore a Munster jersey. (You could hype up a freisin heifer taking a shit outside a barn door and this cunt would turn up and buy the scarf).

There is a flawed perception of how good ireland are at rugby. Media perpetuates this.
It is a game played seriously in 10 countries and we are in the bottom 2 or 20%.

Our record in the Rugby World Cup is the following

1987 world cup - beat tonga and canada and lost to wales and australia

1991 - beat zimbawe and japan and lost to scotland and australia

1995 - beat wales and japan and lost to new zealand and france

1999 - beat us and romania and lost to australia and argentina

2003 - beat namibia, romania, argentina lost to australia and france

2007 - beat georgia and namibia and lost to france and argentina

2011 - beat usa and russia and italy lost to australia and wales

Seven world cups and we have only beaten a top tier team in 3 games (italy and argentina regarded as lowest of the top tier). We have never won a knock out game in a WC.

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 862080, member: 2272”]

Seven world cups and we have only beaten a top tier team in 3 games (italy and argentina regarded as lowest of the top tier). We have never won a knock out game in a WC.[/quote]

They beat Australia at the last world cup

[quote=“TheUlteriorMotive, post: 862080, member: 2272”]There is a flawed perception of how good ireland are at rugby. Media perpetuates this.
It is a game played seriously in 10 countries and we are in the bottom 2 or 20%.

Our record in the Rugby World Cup is the following

1987 world cup - beat tonga and canada and lost to wales and australia

1991 - beat zimbawe and japan and lost to scotland and australia

1995 - beat wales and japan and lost to new zealand and france

1999 - beat us and romania and lost to australia and argentina

2003 - beat namibia, romania, argentina lost to australia and france

2007 - beat georgia and namibia and lost to france and argentina

Seven world cups and we have only beaten a top tier team in 3 games (italy and argentina regarded as lowest of the top tier). We have never won a knock out game in a WC.[/quote]
While I would agree with the general point you are making, we didn’t lose to Australia in 2011.

Yes - I was wrong about that.

Lovely use of “They” :clap:

A couple of thoughts. I both play and enjoy watching rugby. I disagree that there is no skill in the game - it’s actually quite a technical game with lots of the setpieces, contact situations, passing etc requiring quite a lot of skill to be executed correctly and obviously the higher the level of the game, the more likely that lack of skill is likely to be exposed. Lads saying you could just bulk up and then would walk into a high-level team obviously have never played the game before. Prior to this years catwalk it was interesting to watch the top-level GAA players skill levels break down massively in the international rules when they were suddenly threatened with a real tackle as opposed to a slap.

With regard to it’s popularity, I think there are several reasons. The Irish team’s success at different levels and the accessibility of the players is a big part of it. The social element is definitely another, a lot of the games are Friday/Saturday evenings and people make a night of it. This doesn’t happen as much in GAA (Sunday games). Also, it’s accessible - tickets can be got for Leinster/Munster etc and the Irish team and the grounds are pleasant to visit (i.e. not shitholes like some of the provincial GAA grounds and with facilities for food/drink etc). League of Ireland soccer is neither appealing to watch or pleasant to visit the grounds. There are clearly a lot of recent bandwagon type fans but as a hardcore supporter I don’t resent them - I’d rather they’re their spending their money on my favourite sport than pumping money into some other one. As has been pointed out this bandwagon element is not exclusively a rugby thing; GAA, soccer, boxing, Irish cricket etc etc have all benefited at various stages from it.

Anyway, I don’t get why so many lads here take such offence with it. As most people here are hurling supporters (as I am too despite not playing it? Bandwagoner?) and the hurling season is largely during the rugby off-season and vice versa, then surely it’s not that big a threat. Maybe the GAA could even learn a bit on how to properly market a sport and not just arrogantly expect the world to be wowed and rock up in big numbers. The soccer lads are all into premiership and other foreign leagues so their hardly local grassroots sporting types - not many league of Ireland threads on here. So, as is repeatedly pointed out on here, if rugby isn’t your thing - just don’t watch it. The vast majority of the rugby posts on here are from lads who hate the sport, yet seem to be able to reference a Paul O’Connell crap pass indicating that they were watching ??? - life must be shit if your weekend activities consisted of watching a game you hate and then posting about that game on an internet message board …

[quote=“tallback, post: 862129, member: 1158”]A couple of thoughts. I both play and enjoy watching rugby. I disagree that there is no skill in the game - it’s actually quite a technical game with lots of the setpieces, contact situations, passing etc requiring quite a lot of skill to be executed correctly and obviously the higher the level of the game, the more likely that lack of skill is likely to be exposed. Lads saying you could just bulk up and then would walk into a high-level team obviously have never played the game before. Prior to this years catwalk it was interesting to watch the top-level GAA players skill levels break down massively in the international rules when they were suddenly threatened with a real tackle as opposed to a slap.

With regard to it’s popularity, I think there are several reasons. The Irish team’s success at different levels and the accessibility of the players is a big part of it. The social element is definitely another, a lot of the games are Friday/Saturday evenings and people make a night of it. This doesn’t happen as much in GAA (Sunday games). Also, it’s accessible - tickets can be got for Leinster/Munster etc and the Irish team and the grounds are pleasant to visit (i.e. not shitholes like some of the provincial GAA grounds and with facilities for food/drink etc). League of Ireland soccer is neither appealing to watch or pleasant to visit the grounds. There are clearly a lot of recent bandwagon type fans but as a hardcore supporter I don’t resent them - I’d rather they’re their spending their money on my favourite sport than pumping money into some other one. As has been pointed out this bandwagon element is not exclusively a rugby thing; GAA, soccer, boxing, Irish cricket etc etc have all benefited at various stages from it.

Anyway, I don’t get why so many lads here take such offence with it. As most people here are hurling supporters (as I am too despite not playing it? Bandwagoner?) and the hurling season is largely during the rugby off-season and vice versa, then surely it’s not that big a threat. Maybe the GAA could even learn a bit on how to properly market a sport and not just arrogantly expect the world to be wowed and rock up in big numbers. The soccer lads are all into premiership and other foreign leagues so their hardly local grassroots sporting types - not many league of Ireland threads on here. So, as is repeatedly pointed out on here, if rugby isn’t your thing - just don’t watch it. The vast majority of the rugby posts on here are from lads who hate the sport, yet seem to be able to reference a Paul O’Connell crap pass indicating that they were watching ??? - life must be shit if your weekend activities consisted of watching a game you hate and then posting about that game on an internet message board …[/quote]

That’s a scathing attack on @Bandage[/USER] and @[USER=24]farmerinthecity

Dodgy keeper has been very well behaved recently

[quote=“tallback, post: 862129, member: 1158”]A couple of thoughts. I both play and enjoy watching rugby. I disagree that there is no skill in the game - it’s actually quite a technical game with lots of the setpieces, contact situations, passing etc requiring quite a lot of skill to be executed correctly and obviously the higher the level of the game, the more likely that lack of skill is likely to be exposed. Lads saying you could just bulk up and then would walk into a high-level team obviously have never played the game before. Prior to this years catwalk it was interesting to watch the top-level GAA players skill levels break down massively in the international rules when they were suddenly threatened with a real tackle as opposed to a slap.

Anyway, I don’t get why so many lads here take such offence with it. As most people here are hurling supporters (as I am too despite not playing it? Bandwagoner?) and the hurling season is largely during the rugby off-season and vice versa, then surely it’s not that big a threat. Maybe the GAA could even learn a bit on how to properly market a sport and not just arrogantly expect the world to be wowed and rock up in big numbers. The soccer lads are all into premiership and other foreign leagues so their hardly local grassroots sporting types - not many league of Ireland threads on here. So, as is repeatedly pointed out on here, if rugby isn’t your thing - just don’t watch it. The vast majority of the rugby posts on here are from lads who hate the sport, yet seem to be able to reference a Paul O’Connell crap pass indicating that they were watching ??? - life must be shit if your weekend activities consisted of watching a game you hate and then posting about that game on an internet message board …[/quote]
I agree with some of this but disagree with others. I agree that the facilities are generally good for rugby clubs even at a small enough level compared to GAA and soccer. When I said near the beginning of this thread that anybody could play rugby I was obviously exaggerating but I don’t really like any sport where it is easier to get better at the game by going to the gym than going outside and practising passing for example, one of the key skills of rugby for a couple of hours a day. Some of the skills of forwards in rugby especially in the Northern Hemisphere are awful for top level sport. And even the backs, who have a bit of pace spend most of the time running straight at people than trying a sidestep or spotting a gap, ala Quade Cooper.

I think you are getting close to why @Bandage hates rugby so much. But we need to get to the kernel. I’d speculate that when he moved up here and started poncing around Haddington Road he was quite desperate to fit in. Rugby seemed like the most logical vehicle to make this happen.

I reckon the local lads didn’t want a bar of him because he is a Muldoon, and no matter how hard he tried he knew it. This unleashed an irrational tidal wave of hatred towards the most popular game around these parts. It reached it’s crescendo on Saturday night.

Thankfully I was in The Bath on Bath Avenue enjoying the atmosphere big games bring to the area when the big man snapped. I can see him climbing up the 51’s facade one of these nights in a drunken rage and trying to rip the Leinster flag down. His friend’s need to keep their eyes on him. Something has to give sooner or later.

[quote=“farmerinthecity, post: 862047, member: 24”]As a sport, I don’t mind rugby. I would not agree that there is no skill to it but I would also contend that the skill levels aren’t the highest either.

• MUNSTER. I despise this and everything about it. I hate the way that people from the arse-end of Waterford or Kerry or somewhere claim allegiance to this ‘team’ as they take it that they are representing them, even though there is not a rugby club within an ass’ roar of them. I despise the way that they believe that they are the real rugby fans because they are not as upper class as Leinster. I hate the way they go on about Bull Hayes or Super Man O’Connell. I hate the way they sing the Fields of Athenry even though it has nothing to do it. Underpinning it all is this sense of being the true fan, and fucking massive arrogance, even though half the cunts jumped on the bandwagon. Also Munster in it’s current state is as a result of the commencement of the Heineken Cup. I would nuke all Munster fans if I got the chance.

• The way rugby is seen as being the sport of networkers. Fucking shower of cunts. I arrived into the canteen one day and there was some cunt going on about a great weekend for Irish Sport as all four provinces won. What would you know about Irish Sport you utter cunt of a man? There is horrible snobbish element to it as well - cunts look down their nose at you if you start discussing football or GAA even though they wouldn’t know anything about sport.

• The way birds have an interest in it. What the fuck is that about? Again it comes back to this sort of ‘cool’ thing to do. Load of rubbish.

• The way they make a big deal out of the most basic tasks. For instance, Sean O’Brien is the best ‘ball carrier’ in the team. What does that mean - that he can ‘carry the ball’ better than others? Who even measures that? Also so what if they can carry the ball!! Another one is a lifter - John Hayes is the best lifter in the world. In that he can lift a lad up. Fucking hell.

• The fact that most of the people who are into it, including the birds, have absolutely no idea of the majority of the rules. I don’t know most of them but I don’t pretend to be an expert unlike those Munster cunts.[/quote]

POST OF THE YEAR.

:clap::clap::clap:

A valiant failure in an attempt to fit they’re, there and their into the same sentence.

That doesn’t dispute any of the issues that I identified as being incredibly annoying about the game in Ireland.

Not that I am saying that was your intention mind.

Farmer’s post above whilst I agree with many of the points has a few flaws,
Look, I know it is fucking retarded and embarrassing, the whole Munster thing with the “grace of god”, “valiant heroes” , “oh they travelled by horse and cart via Krasnoyarsk to get to Montpellier and all they want is a feed of scrambled eggs and some craic”, “miracle match” shite, similarly the ‘welcome to leinster” signs hanging from a bridge 15kms from the Royal Dublin Society, the utter disgusting arrogance of fuckers with no attachment a few years previous to the sport prancing around an office donned in Leinter jersey, collar up talking about line outs as it needs to be done to network their way thru some piss middle management circle for 45k a year, the “banter” between similar fuckers in an office before and after a game, and the absolute ignorance of all other sports accompanied with sarcastic, knowing smiles that no other sport is worthy of conversation.
However, look whilst its ridiculous to think that the atmosphere around the KK/Tipp border must be white hot on the eve of a munster / leinster clash, I can only imagine what hostilities are like along the tipp/offaly border, we must also remember that this fascination of some fella from west Kerry or east Waterford with Muster rugby is not worse that lads from any part of Ireland adopting an identity with Glasgow Rangers/Celtic, Liverpool, Utd agus araile and the whole ‘us, you, them” shit that you see enacted ad nauseum every weekend, ok if you’re 16 fine but anyone at this still has issues.
Anyway, I have no problem with the “sport”of rugby football, each to their own, I watch LOI 1st div game online , ok I have family members playing but I understand it wouldn’t be everyone’s cuppa tea, still it interests me and I am online or on SMS right thru any match Cobh or Limerick play wherever I am and I can never really see it changing.
My main issue with rugby really is the utter , detestable wankers that follow the sport, I would generally feel embarrassed to be associated with what you see at a Leinster game, the arrogance of these people is disgusting, it’s a different type of breed to the retard you find in Thomond Park however, but that’s for another thread.

Can the people who like Rugby football as well please explain to me the obsession with the whole British Lions thing?
This whole “& irish” thing is clearly a joke, FFS anyone who has ever been outside the gates of Buckingham palace will have observed the great stone statue of the 3 lions, a great symbol of British imperialiasm, the red shirt, clive woodward, the RBS commercial of a Royal Navy ship this year with the trainer playing Captain Cook and O’Driscoll the role of some able seaman, fucking hell lads, have ye no shame?, surely this must sicken you to the core? , and to think that people were on about the “honor” of simple auld Paddy been chosen for this? “outrage” that O’Driscoll wasn’t selected?? and this is regarded as the pinnacle of the sport, better than a WC final?

A wonderful rant @mickee321 :clap:

the time the new age rogbee fan tried to put o’gara up as a great nationalist was sickening too

mate, all that applies to bogball too

The majority, yes to be fair, but I don’t particularly enjoy watching football either apart from when footballers such as Colm Cooper, Stephen Bray, Alan Brogan etc. are playing. People who can cut open a defence with a pass

[quote=“mickee321, post: 862183, member: 367”]Farmer’s post above whilst I agree with many of the points has a few flaws,
Look, I know it is fucking retarded and embarrassing, the whole Munster thing with the “grace of god”, “valiant heroes” , “oh they travelled by horse and cart via Krasnoyarsk to get to Montpellier and all they want is a feed of scrambled eggs and some craic”, “miracle match” shite, similarly the ‘welcome to leinster” signs hanging from a bridge 15kms from the Royal Dublin Society, the utter disgusting arrogance of fuckers with no attachment a few years previous to the sport prancing around an office donned in Leinter jersey, collar up talking about line outs as it needs to be done to network their way thru some piss middle management circle for 45k a year, the “banter” between similar fuckers in an office before and after a game, and the absolute ignorance of all other sports accompanied with sarcastic, knowing smiles that no other sport is worthy of conversation.
However, look whilst its ridiculous to think that the atmosphere around the KK/Tipp border must be white hot on the eve of a munster / leinster clash, I can only imagine what hostilities are like along the tipp/offaly border, we must also remember that this fascination of some fella from west Kerry or east Waterford with Muster rugby is not worse that lads from any part of Ireland adopting an identity with Glasgow Rangers/Celtic, Liverpool, Utd agus araile and the whole ‘us, you, them” shit that you see enacted ad nauseum every weekend, ok if you’re 16 fine but anyone at this still has issues.
Anyway, I have no problem with the “sport”of rugby football, each to their own, I watch LOI 1st div game online , ok I have family members playing but I understand it wouldn’t be everyone’s cuppa tea, still it interests me and I am online or on SMS right thru any match Cobh or Limerick play wherever I am and I can never really see it changing.
My main issue with rugby really is the utter , detestable wankers that follow the sport, I would generally feel embarrassed to be associated with what you see at a Leinster game, the arrogance of these people is disgusting, it’s a different type of breed to the retard you find in Thomond Park however, but that’s for another thread.

Can the people who like Rugby football as well please explain to me the obsession with the whole British Lions thing?
This whole “& irish” thing is clearly a joke, FFS anyone who has ever been outside the gates of Buckingham palace will have observed the great stone statue of the 3 lions, a great symbol of British imperialiasm, the red shirt, clive woodward, the RBS commercial of a Royal Navy ship this year with the trainer playing Captain Cook and O’Driscoll the role of some able seaman, fucking hell lads, have ye no shame?, surely this must sicken you to the core? , and to think that people were on about the “honor” of simple auld Paddy been chosen for this? “outrage” that O’Driscoll wasn’t selected?? and this is regarded as the pinnacle of the sport, better than a WC final?[/quote]

I must say even though I think you are a bit of a stones, that this is wonderful comment altogether. I would include golf, rogbee, tennis, bowls as games I would lump in together as a complete waste of anyones time. Fat lads wearing rogbee jerseys down the pub telling everyone to shush as someone with a fucking stupid nickname lines up in a Christy Brown pose to stick an out of shape ball over the bar is puke inducing. but rogbee is a media darling and we will have to put up with it for a long time to come, look at Limerick where thugby FM constantly flood us with that muuuunster shit every time the cunts are playing. I hope to fuck we don’t see that rogbee world cup come here in any way shape or form. Ryle Nugent is an insufferable cunt and will be everywhere if this shit comes to our shores.