Abortion Referendum Thread

Fatal foetal abnormality by itself does not constitute grounds for abortion under the present constitutional position.

In terms of the vote, one can’t be pro-8th Amendment and in favour of access to abortion in cases of fatal foetal abnormality.

The “6 months” thing the No side are pushing is mendaciousness and scaremongering of the highest order.

A vote to keep the 8th Amendment is a vote for more Savitas.

Savita’s death was as a result of medical negligence.

Savita Halappanavar died as a direct result of Ireland’s restrictive abortion laws and not simply because she contracted sepsis, the author of the independent report into her death has said.

Prof Sir Sabaratnam Arulkumaran made the comment as he said the eighth amendment is “not working” and declared his “surprise” it has taken five years since Savita’s death for a discussion on its removal to take place.

Speaking during a meeting of the cross-party Oireachtas committee on the future of the eighth amendment which also heard former master of Holles Street Hospital Dr Peter Boylan call for the immediate repeal of existing laws and warn politicians will face “groundhog day” if they fail to do so, Prof Arulkumaran said the reality is Savita died because of Ireland’s abortion laws.

Asked specifically by Independent senator Lynn Ruane “if the presence of the eighth amendment cost Savita her life”, Prof Arulkumaran - who authored the report into her death - said: "It was very clear the things holding the hands of physicians was the legal issue. Anybody, any junior doctor, would have said this is a sepsis condition, we must terminate.

"She did have sepsis. However, if she had a termination in the first days as requested, she would not have had sepsis. If she had the termination when asked for it, the sepsis would not arise.

"We would never have heard of her and she would be alive today," he said.

“She died as a consequence of the Eighth Amendment,” Prof Boylan told the committee following questions from Deputy Mattie McGrath.

She died as a direct result of medical negligence. You can report as much subjective opinion pieces as you want from the pro-abortion sude but it doesn’t detract from the fact that medical negligence was the reason for her death.

You’re the person qith the subjective opinion, pal.

I’m quoting the independent author of the report into Savita’s death and one of the leading experts on obstetrics in this country.

I go with the experts, not random subjective opinion from people with no qualifications whatsoever.

Incorrect. The legislation allowed for Savita’s life to be saved. Medical negligence failed to diagnose her condition and your hero Peter Boylan conceded as much in his report.

You’re clutching at non-existent straw here, mate - we’ll agree I’m correct, as usual.

I can’t take any credit for that though - I’ll have to give that to the experts.

Oooffftt!

I’m clutching to reality. You are placing all your eggs in a basket of lies. Savita died from medical negligence. Dr Boylan would prefer that abortions happen so doctors have less accountability which is what the pro-abortion lot are all about, abdication of responsibility and accountability.

If you can’t handle the consequences (pregnancy) of the action (sex). Don’t do it. If you do it, own up to the the responsibilities brought about by your irresponsible behaviour.

Oh you’re clutching alright.

Any evidence for this statement?

Her sepsis was undiagnosed.

The 8th Amendment means doctors have to literally wait for a pregnant woman to start dying before they can grant her an abortion.

Seems fair, or something something.

the mainstream media are disgracefully biased on this issue. its been a very very poor referendum for journalistic integrity

1 Like

We’ve about 3 journalists in Ireland mate. The rest are just glorified tweeters with zero integrity

2 Likes

they are bullies and screechers. Oirish journalism is no more than screeching about issues that have the potential to make you popular

1 Like

Agreed - the blatant, shameless lies of the No campaign haven’t been exposed nearly enough.

Absolutely.