Abortion Referendum Thread

Unless he has had an abortion or is planning to have one, how is he imposing his moral compass on anyone, let alone zygotes/embryos/fetuses that are aborted by others?

Once again, any woman in Ireland who decides to end a pregnancy can do so by travelling abroad, so there is no evidence that any potential lives are saved by the 8th. The only thing the 8th accomplishes is to make it difficult, expensive and potentially dangerous for Irish women to avail of necessary (to them) medical services, something you appear content with. The only people imposing their moral compass are those who voted for this ridiculous amendment in 1983 and are now voting to retain it.

You think there wont be more abortions if its freely available here?

1 Like

Declan Ganley very weak here on the final debate on the referendum before the moratorium. The solicitor beside him is rowing a lone canoe for the No side against Michael Martin and Mary Lou. Ganley is out of his depth. Generally the No side has trashed the Yes side in their respective campaigns, but Yes have finished strongly and have definitely won the night. The No side finishing meekly makes me think whatever chance No had of winning on Friday has evaporated into thin air tonight.

What would drive the demand? Again, you continue to suggest women will be going gaga for abortions if they were available in Ireland. The evidence is the opposite, in countries where abortion is legal, rates of abortion are coming down. However, there will always be a need for termination of pregnancies, medical necessity, rape, fetal abnormality, and yes economic factors.

Based on some statistics I read today (a belated apology to @horsebox as I am now backtracking and admit I was wrong in calling him a dolt yesterday), something like 80% of women who travel to England for abortions are either married or have a partner, and their decision to abort is based on not being ready to have a child or already have enough children.

Furthermore, in almost all cases the pregnancy was as a result of a failure of contraception, so it’s not like they were being careless. Basically you want to force these people to have children against their will, an unbelievably arrogant position.

1 Like

The no side won when they were allowed peddle any nonsense - RTE were a shambles on this front. Pat Kenny wouldnt allow anecdotal and scaremongering tactics and the no campaign had nothing as a result.

1 Like

If you could point out where i said that?

What’s the point of the 8th if not to force people to have children against their will?

The point is to protect the rights the unborn child has in ireland, not extinguish them. But the right to travel exists in the constitution.

So you were entirely wrong in saying i or anyone wants to force someone to do something. But youve been wrong a fair bit on this thread.

Do you not see the obvious contradiction in that post?

He clearly doesn’t or doesn’t want to. It’s staggering.

it’s beyond belief…

By denying abortion services in Ireland, you and your cohort are forcing people (most of them couples by the way) to choose between having a child they don’t want or travel abroad for a termination. How the fuck is that not forcing people?

No. This is a constitutional question ultimately. It is a referendum after all. That protection can exist and people can still have the right to travel. They can co exist.

In practical terms what does it accomplish? It adds financial burden on people and potentially the state, it adds medical danger, it denies necessary treatment in medical emergencies, rape, etc.

What are the positives it brings?

That just your way of spinning the argument. No one will be forced to do anything. But as long as their is a right to life then if people want to end that life they will have to travel.

1 Like

Is this for real… It prevents a human life from ending

1 Like

So it’s alright to have an abortion, as long as it’s not in Ireland.

What sense does that make in your head?

By denying abortion on demand you are preserving and protecting the unborn who have no say in this matter.

1 Like

Yes, they are forced to travel, so nutters can feel good about imposing their moral opinion on others.

You can keep on repeating this but you are not coming with an open mind, so its kind of pointless me repeating it. Its not alright, except in these hard cases. But there is a right to travel and its a workable compromise.