Abortion Referendum Thread

You mug. I’ll give you a pass on your glaring inaccuracies because it was near midnight and you were probably trying to forget your lonely, pitiful existence with another bottle of cheap whiskey.

NSW probably has the most stringent abortion laws but sees about 30,000 abortions annually. How many prosecutions? I’ll let you google that one. Any impact on mental health is viable grounds for an abortion. A life does not need to be “in danger”. You don’t even need a doctor’s referral in NSW.

Northern Territiories? Legal.

Victoria? Legal.

Tasmania? Legal.

WA? Legal.

Queensland? You’ve guessed it…have a read of this when you sober up.

Have a look at your own glass walls before you go throwing stones.

2 Likes

Fyi, there is no such thing as non-racist genocide.

Well duh

Apart from the Irish famine

Although as we all know that wasn’t actually a genocide

So I guess your point holds

You were first with the stone throwing, unsurprising I suppose. Good to see Australia joining the rest of the developed world in 2018, even if individual state laws are all over the map. In contrast abortion is a constitutional right in all US states and has been so since 1973.

I didn’t because it wasn’t and stop with the whataboutery. This child should still be alive but the parents selfishly decided that his life wasn’t worth living because he potentially had a disability.

1 Like

The guy who ran the investigation specifically stated the 8th Amendment was responsible for Savita’s death

It was a foetus not a child

Take it up with the Irish people who voted in a landslide for choice

Democracy won

Batt is lashing out all round him, he’ll need to sit the family down and tell them what’s what

Many who voted yes, specifically did not want to see this happen. Your resorting to the gloating of the most rabid of the yes side disappoints me, I thought you were better than that.

I said it during and after the campaign, the pro-aborts played a blinder. They concentrated on the hard cases and with a compliant media it was the only message that got through. What they wanted was what they got, abortion without restriction on demand.

Just for the record, that baby would have felt pain as he was suctioned down a tube in the name of ‘choice’. I hope the parents are happy and that the surgical team get sacked.

2 Likes

The 8th Amendment was all about the hard cases

Bad law makes hard cases

A 15 week old foetus cannot feel pain

It cannot feel anything

So much stupid in one post.

Incorrect on pain, the consensus in the medical and scientific community is that a fetus cannot feel pain until the third semester, so at least 27 weeks.

Why would the surgical team get sacked? They acted on the request of the parents who have the legal right to request an abortion. Most babies with Edwards syndrome die before or just shortly after birth.

Your comment on the parents being “happy” is simply disgusting.

3 Likes

That’s not what happened. They were told it would die horribly immediately after birth. They were misadvised. They made a painful decision to end the pregnancy based on that wrong advice and are now pissed off because they never wanted to do that.

Wrong. I researched this point thoroughly during the referendum because it was important to me. The great majority of scientists say pain after 20+ weeks. The most radical “early pain” theory comes from a female scientist in England who thinks 16 weeks is a possibility. The great majority of scientists reject this view. Even if it was true the foetus in this case still wouldn’t have felt anything.

1 Like

Same is a person in a coma so. You’d be surprised how similar a 15 week old fetus is to a human.

Couple seeks nearly €3m debt write-down
High Court told couple’s financial woes linked to unpaid music royalties from US
Article image
Theresa Lowe and Frank McNamara owe almost €2.3 million on their home
SIMON CARSWELL
Musician Frank McNamara and his wife, television presenter-turned-barrister Theresa Lowe, are seeking a debt write-down of nearly €3 million from the High Court to escape their financial troubles.

The couple are looking for a financial rescue in the form of a court-approved personal insolvency arrangement on total debts amounting to €3.7 million over the objection of their biggest creditor.

The court heard Mr McNamara lost income in the US from his work as an orchestral conductor and music composer, and the Co Meath-based couple borrowed to help them through what they believed were temporary financial difficulties.

US private equity firm Tanager, a so-called vulture fund which bought the couple’s mortgage debt from Bank of Scotland (Ireland), is seeking to block the plan as it would see more than €1.7 million of its debt written off.

The fund, owned by US private equity giant Apollo Global Management, is being offered a lump sum payment of €100,000 by the couple to go towards a new, written-down mortgage of €550,000 on their house in Dunshauglin. The couple currently owe almost €2.3 million on the four-bedroom family home.

Mr Justice Denis McDonald heard the difficulties arose for Mr McNamara (59), who was the music director of RTÉ’s Late Late Show for 20 years, from US music royalty payments of $987,000 going unpaid. In total, he claims to be owed €1.237 million in unpaid payments for his work as a conductor and composer. Mr McNamara was the arranger and producer for two consecutive Irish winners of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Quiz
Ms Lowe (56), a well known figure from her work on TV and radio, presented the TV quiz Where In The World? in the late 1980s and early 1990s and studied law at the time at King’s Inns in Dublin. The couple, who are both self-employed and have two dependent children, are seeking a six-year personal insolvency arrangement under which they would write off about €2.9 million of debt. They are offering to make €236,000 available to their creditors from Mr McNamara’s inheritance and the disposal of five acres of land next to their home.

The court heard the couple remortgaged and sold a number of buy-to-let properties when they found themselves in financial trouble and were left owing €530,000 in residual debt to Bank of Ireland.

Keith Farry, for the couple, told the court that Mr McNamara had been making “very substantial income” from his work as a music conductor in the US. He said that Mr McNamara ran unsuccessfully in Dublin South Central in the 2007 general election, adding to his financial difficulties.

The recession added to the couple’s problems and Mr McNamara could not afford to travel to the US as the orchestras employing him could no longer pay travel and accommodation expenses.

Rudi Neuman Shanahan, for Tanager, questioned why Mr McNamara’s difficulties dating back 16 years were being cited in support of the arrangement and queried whether the couple could work until 78 and 75 respectively.

The case continues.

I may stand corrected on pain but there is no absolute evidence of a foetus being able to feel pain or not.

Disgusting. Not half as disgusting as having your baby suctioned down a surgical hose I suppose.

At least @glenshane got out of the house this weekend, which is a positive

Vamos

A sad, sad day for Argentinians.

Il Papa will be furious.

He’s too busy at the moment considering his response to Sean Quinn’s missive to notice

1 Like