Abortion - Yay or Nay? Labane and Sid talk American politics, Codegreen ponders on the cost

Seek help

Anybody who doesn’t take joy in seeing anti-abortion headbangers prostrated, broken and humiliated after being soundly defeated should be seeking help - because anti-abortion headbangers are some of the most lying, devious, disgusting and dangerous people in society, a stain on humanity, and them and their “cause” being broken, prostrated and humiliated is an unequivocal good for society.

There isn’t an adjective in the dictionary that can fully describe their horrific nature.

Seriously sid. Go and talk to someone before you do harm to yourself or someone else.

It wasn’t a fairly fought campaign anyway to begin with. The no side weren’t giving any air time. The college vote is huge now in elections and basically determined the outcome. Most of them have little or no morals. All I’m hearing is this person is depressed that person is depressed. These pointless movements from feminist groups. All the brave women who fought the nazis. Storming the beaches on D day. Sidney then fighting his own D day on social media. He’s not alone, it’s the way the world is gone i suppose. People commit suicide because some dope has a cut of them on twitter or Fb. Truth be told snowflakes get nothing done. When the next war comes it will be natural born killers they will be looking to save them. I just hope the women who had abortions will step up. Will they fuck.

Can’t say fairer than that.

1 Like

Do you have a newsletter I can sign up to?

1 Like

[quote=“codegreen, post:1102, topic:16747, full:true”] When the next war comes it will be natural born killers they will be looking to save them.
[/quote]
That’s a cracking line there, profound.

1 Like

I’ll go elsewhere for advice before taking any from somebody who thinks that a war of extermination is an acceptable price to achieve a united Ireland.

Thanks for your concern all the same.

Whas this now sid?

Bit late to be denying it now mate

Denying what?

You’ve been calling pro abortionists natural born killers for months now you stupid cunt.

Identity politics again is the order of the day. Cave men, Catholic Church, misognysts, conservatives, right wing this left wing that. Every argument is a stinking pile of shite that could float in the sewer of any other thread on here and eventually sinks as more crap is piled on. Its nauseating. Abortion is legal and it was voted in by an overwhelming majority. Does it make it morally and ethically right… No. Is it necessary… well it depends who you ask.

This thought though that we live in a 21st century enlightened post modern society is a bit like a trojan horse in the minds of a lot of people. Its inherently flawed. Probably every generation believed they were more enlightened than the last and who’s to say that in another generation or 2 that they will look back at our generation and call us cave men or maybe some variant like office dwellers as robots start to run the show. They will probably laugh at our inefficiencies and backward thinking. Our rationale for abortion maybe not be as nuanced as we think when certain assertions are tested over time.

And with all this talk of exclusion zones and some American pro life group in recent days it has afforded the government to wheel out the gift that just keeps on giving that is the abortion referedum. It has gained for them some extraordinary political capital and brownie points that in the midst of a no confidence vote in Simon Harris it will deflect attention from the total mismanagement of the health service. His public rehabilitation started on Saturday and with a compliant and agenda laden media he will probably be our next Taoiseach. Our navigation to a totalitarian state is almost complete. Meanwhile the minions will be wrapped up in the rights and wrongs of a person with rosary beads outside a GP clinic that has ultrasonic eyes that can descipher whether a woman is pregnant or not so they can impose their ideology on them.

6 Likes

There’s a lot of well balanced debate throughout this thread … I’d just ignore most of the name calling, it’s just playing to choir. I dont think one person on here who was in favour of amending the law did so willy nilly … we have all recognized that in a perfect world there would be no abortion - but life is far from perfect.

Introducing abortion isnt necessarily the mark of an enlightened society – discussion, education are tho. The introduction of the 8th amendment was archaic in every meaning of the word- the right wing religious groups that led the drive to insert it actually did a lot more damage in the long run as having to remove it invariably led to abortion - that’s what happens when you shut down discussion.

However, I fully accept that introducing it opens a minefield and that once it’s in we cant just sit back and let it take any shape it wants. I stated umpteen times that I personally was open to a very short window to avail of abortion and in no way should it be introduced as a means of contraception.

The main thing that irks me is the slut shaming and use of moral language on the no side - it’s a big side of their argument - that and their black and white attitude to everyone’s life.

5 Likes

I wholeheartedly agree with you here.

You are called a faggot if you support equality for homosexuals, a murderer if you voted to bring in abortion legislation.

In my view, an enlightened society can only be achieved by giving people control over their own lives, body and mind. In a democratic vote I believe the correct option is always the one which will give people more control over their own lives and options. I’d put aside my own moral views and biases as it may not always be palatable to me personally, but it is definitely beneficial for society to have the legislation in place. Unfortunately, legislation will always be abused (in the case you mentioned, using abortion as contraception). Supports need to be put around the legislation to ensure the person taking the measure fully understands the decision.

I think people fail to realize that just because the legislation is there, it doesn’t make it mandatory. It further enhances peoples ability to make decisions and take control over their lives.

Once it is in, it can be refined, discussed and made better, ultimately providing a better society for all of us.

I think if you did a cross section of the people who were opposed to abortion and gay marriage you’d find a big crossover, these people seem to want to have full control over what other people do or say, regardless of the situation. That isn’t a society I want to be part of.

2 Likes

Name calling? You’re the lad name calling.

But theres a huge section of people concerned with abortion, like myself, who aren’t religious and have no issue with things like gay marriage. Its pigeon holing people to suit an argument to suggest theres a huge crossover.

Im not suggesting the state should have any control over anyone’s body. I have little faith in any government really. Especially irish politicians who seem unaccountable in a way.

The debate is what do you consider an individual life. If its a foetus viable outside of the womb then my argument would be that you are giving someone full control over that life (the position the pro side seem to have a huge issue with) others would consider that foetus not a life, but almost an organ of its mother and so within her remit.

Its not an easy argument and one people have to agree to disagree on, good to see posters rationally putting their points across and not name calling though.

we had the misfortune of going through a miscarriage. I would say it was dealt with clinically and efficiently by the hospital.

There’s no easy way of saying this, but I saw what was passed as a result of the miscarriage. It in no way resembled anything human at that stage.

Are you aware of the anti-natalism movement?

This chap is suing is parents because he didn’t want to be born.

Sorry to hear that mate.

On a lighter note if the anti natalists parents shot him in court could they argue they did all they could to rectify their wrong

1 Like

I think what the recent referendum demonstrated is that the majority of people have reasonable and balanced views on abortion, early stage abortion is morally necessary in some cases (rape), a reasonable choice in most cases (the woman doesn’t want a baby, isn’t ready to have a baby) and sadly necessary in the cases of fatal fetal abnormalities or at any stage of pregnancy if the life or health of the mother is at risk. The latter should be a decision for medical professionals and patients, it’s ridiculous that a doctor would be prevented from carrying out necessary medical care by stupid legislation equating a woman’s life to that of a fetus. Many men simply don’t appreciate that the life and health of every pregnant woman is potentially in danger.

Unfortunately the debate is drowned out by religious fruitcakes who believe a fertilized egg has the same right to a life as a woman, and on the other side extreme feminists who see no moral issue with aborting a viable fetus where there is no medical emergency. The 16 week limit is a good compromise imo.

1 Like