Acts of Heroism

I don’t like praising my own actions but I’ve received a few PMs asking me to describe my part in saving countless lives yesterday.

Taking advantage of the fine fresh day I walked to school to collect my young chap at 1330. We were walking home along the traditional route when I saw a truck reversing at speed and veering wildly across the road. I immediately knew something was off. When I saw there was nobody in the driver’s cabin I reasoned I had to act. I instructed my son to stand in a garden and ran after the truck.

Despite my core strength and years of playing elite sport and elite rugby I had doubts about my ability to stop the truck on its own. I managed to scramble to the side of the vehicle and prise open the door. (It was unlocked). As the truck was careering towards a group of schoolchildren on the pavement and with traffic approaching from the rear I summoned my engineering knowledge and inner strength to pull the emergency brake lever (the handbrake).

The truck skidded to a halt metres from the children and the fast approaching Renault Clio to the rear.

Realistically I saved about 4 lives and maybe the same number again of potentially life changing injuries. Speculatively the truck could well have hit an oil tanker and exploded causing the biggest single loss of life in the history of the State.

Fingal, you’re welcome.

26 Likes

@Bandage should be very proud

1 Like

Not the hero we wanted, but the hero we needed.

Fair enough

Maith thù

A hero

There is a certain irony here of course where the term “ pulling a handbrake “ can be a used for being a bit windy on the sports field

TNH.

1 Like

As per fathers thread - I was so sleep deprived yesterday when I parked up yesterday morning at 6am I never engaged the handbrake … When I returned to base yesterday at 6.30pm the car was in the middle of the car park after rolling backwards, but thankfully no damage or lives were lost. A hero had put two bits of wood under my back wheels to stop the car moving further … Thank you @Rocko.

3 Likes

Not all heroes wear capes. Were you wearing a cape @Rocko?

It was not best practice for the truck driver to leave the truck without the hand break engaged but it was part of a larger strategy that the truck driver had employed for the good of the nation.