AFL 2021

Nuckser Buckley and Colin Corkery can consider themselves unlucky to not make the cut.

Not to mention Paul Earley, who actually played senior VFL, when the VFL was the AFL, if you know what I mean.

Jaysus he is and all.

Colin o’Riordan should get a kick for the Swans tonight. Starts on the bench. 5 minutes to the bounce.

I haven’t been following his progress much but I thought after last year and the one before that this would be his proper breakthrough season, but it’s worse for him. Has he been injured or just not picked?

Not good enough.

1 Like

Anton Tohill is coming home now too. I’d expect another couple of Irish lads to quit and go home after this season too. Sure its grand, go to Oz for 2 or 3 years, train full time, get paid, enjoy life and then go home. We’ll have the usual clamour of Tomas O Se’s moaning about the Aussies draining our best talent, but 2 or 3 more might go out this year and 2 or 3 will come home. Much like any chap of that age who takes a year or two out travelling.

Anyway, finals start today. Tuohy still not back, is due to be fit to go in a week. Port Adelaide leading by 5 early in the first here, big intensity to the game so far.

Geelong not going well and O Connor just did his hamstring. Pity, that could be the end of his season now.

He has to go

Home

Geelong were shocking poor. Port Adelaide smashed the fuck out of them, up by 7 goals and it just about over now. Geelong have one of the Sydney sides now. In danger of going from top of the league at half time in the final game of the season to choking a huge lead against Melbourne, a loss now to PA and could be 2 and done in finals.

Geelong have consistently flopped in finals’ series since 2011.

Is the Grand Final in Perth?

They have, awful finals record. That’s 8 out of 9 week 1 losses in finals since 2011

Final still isn’t announced. Port play at home in their preliminary. Geelong and Melbourne both play next games in Perth. After that, nothing is confirmed. WA premier has hinted there could be issues as new cases have emerged in WA.

1 Like

GWS beat the Swans by 1. Swans had 6 shots in a row to try get a goal and missed them all, scoring 6 behinds for the last 6 scores of the game. O Riordan played for the Swans too.

Incredible finish. You’d back buddy every day of the week, even from 50.

Geelong up by 2 goals at the start of the third. time for an early lunch and watch it out properly.

1 Like

Geelong won this handy enough in the end. Never really too troubled. Their body language at the end was telling though. No celebrations, no arms held aloft on the final siren. Barely mustering up a yelp in the team song. They just went about their business and won the game. Already moved onto the Demons. I wouldnt rule them out just yet. Demons are notorious flops at the Preliminary final stage (Jim Stynes style)

Are they really? Is it not more the case that they have reached a few preliminary finals they were expected to lose, and lost?

it was just an off the cuff remark that their last good chance was when Jim Stynes walked across the mark in a notorious incident.

They’ve reached two Grand Finals since that, 1988 and 2000. They lost preliminary finals to West Coast in 1994 and North Melbourne in 1998, both of which they were expected to lose. I think their preliminary final victory in 2000 was over North Melbourne who were the defending champions at the time. I can’t recall them being involved in a preliminary final since then though open to correction. What’s not in doubt is they have been a very underachieving club in general, particularly over the last 20 years or so.

Well in general they are, not just 20 years. Longest club without a flag. In fairness to Stynes, he helped turn them around as they seemed to be close to going away altogether for a while when expansion teams were coming on board and they were an utter shambles.

They were consistently competitive when I was watching it on Channel 4 in the late 80s and early 90s and up to 2000.

Though weren’t they nearly amalgamated with Hawthorn in 1996? Fitzroy got bombed out of existence instead. Footscray nearly went under as well. TG4 used to show a documentary about Footscray’s 1996 season, they must have shown it ten times at least.

I think Melbourne Demons have always been associated with Melbourne’s equivalent of the upper class Bill Gates/George Soros/Rothschilds “illuminati” set which is why they don’t have much support in comparison to a lot of other Melbourne clubs.