AFL 2024

I’m not sure what happened to this fella but his name suggests a Monaghan background.

1 Like

300th game this weekend for Zach Tuohy. Apparently he gets a free wallaby and can graze his kangaroos out the back of the Opera House.

1 Like

Carlton blow a 97-81 lead with 10 minutes left to lose 98-100 to Adelaide. :astonished:

Fucking Adelaide :astonished:

Bomber Jake Stringer has today revealed his turn towards Islam.

Essendon have been Shi’ite for a long time but last night’s 96-67 win over Footscray has brought a more Sunni disposition to Windy Hill.

The Blues are putting Premiership favourites GWS back in their box here. Siren just about to go and it’s 117-92. Great response to the defeat to Adelaide last week.

Big wins for Collingwood at home to Port Adelaide and Essendon away to Adelaide this weekend sets things up very nicely for the big Anzac Day clash next Thursday.

Harley Reid is the truth. Eagles finally have some signs of life again

1 Like

Big statement here by Geelong, leading 61-36 in the Brisbane rain. 10 minutes left but the league’s only 100% record looks set to be extended.

West Coast are stuffing Fremantle in the Perth derby. It looked like Eagles wins had gone the way of the dodo but the arrival of the game’s next superstar Harley Reid who turned 19 three days ago has revitalised them.

Friend of mine was at the gabba. Soaked going in, soaked there, soaked leaving and getting beaten too. Hard to read much into it tho with that weather.

Freo making the scoreboard a bit more respectable now, but that was a paddling.

1 Like

What do you think of thr ‘structure’ of the AFL championship? Would it work for GAA? It shouldn’t work but it does. Playing matches away all season to see who plays who in the knock outs. They seem to take every match seriously too no shadow boxing or training the morning of a match

It wouldn’t work for GAA. The AFL is a professional competition with redistributive mechanisms to make things more even. It’s like the NFL in that regard. Teams play 23 matches in the league stage. Of the 18 teams, probably nine of them would have some notion of winning the Grand Final this year.

In GAA each county can only rely on the resources and population it has. The GAA isn’t a professional competition and should never go the AFL route, going professional would destroy it because that would end the link between where you come from and who you play for, it would become a market. But there isn’t the population or the spending power or the television market to sustain a six months long league season. People in Australia follow teams in the same way people follow English Premier League teams. If you’re from rural Victoria even though you might be 200 miles from Melbourne you’ll probably still follow one of the Melbourne teams. Whereas in Ireland a county team will only have people from that county as potential followers.

Even as it is, Waterford are finding it impossible to keep up in a four match round robin between five teams. If it went any longer it would be a total calamity of a system.

1 Like

He humiliated my beloved Dockers

But it would just mean making the league the championship? Two equal top divisions of 8 leading into knock outs. Top teams straight to semis others play preliminary finals, quarters etc. Same format then for the bottom 16. There’s no point in talking about tradition etc either sure some of the teams didn’t even exist in AFL 20 or 30 years ago.

Hope the Bombers sew it into these low breed Pies.

6:20am start for the big one tomorrow. It’s a massive test for the Bombers and you have to to think it’s one they will fail. 4-2 is a good start but there’s a real feeling that they’ve been been taking advantage of an easy enough fixture list. Collingwood have turned it around after a disastrous start to the season and last week they pissed all over Port Adelaide who were 3rd in the ladder last year.

There’s a man I know from up my road who’s in Melbourne at the moment so I’ve been telling his wife (who’s at home) that he needs to get down to the MCG in the morning and see can he get himself into one of world sport’s greatest events. Grand oul’ week to be in Melbourne with Carlton playing Geelong on Saturday too which should pull 70k plus I’d say.

The Blues have a delegation over here at the moment. Anybody spot the great Greg “Diesel” Williams at Parnell Park last night?

Disappointing to see Collingwood’s Nate Murphy has had to retire at just 24 after this injury suffered in last year’s Grand Final.

Richmond Dees a disappointing affair yday

Hopefully a better contest today

Will he be able to play with his club in Ireland when he comes home?

Bombers pushing ahead… sounds a bit scrappy

Mihocek on fire for the 'Pies

Essendon 65 Collingwood 66 at three quarter-time. I’ve only seen about the last 10 minutes of the third quarter but things look a bit ominous for the Bombers. Harry Jones missed a great chance to put them in front after the siren there.

Looks like a broken nose for Jones. Ouch!

Josh Daicos puts Collingwood 72-65 up but Essendon are back to 72-72 with Kyle Langford’s goal.

And now Nicky Martin gets a beauty of a goal for 78-72. Then Martin sets up Langford for another!

Eseendon suddenly exploding. 84-72 Bombers and Kevin Sheedy is loving it.