African Cup of Nations

I’ve seen them given Bill

I’d have a great love the Nigerians, great to see Nwankwo there in the stands fully kitted out

Boom

Keeper needs to more there you’d feel but you’d have to be happy for the Costians

Scenes!!!

I still believe

What a finish. They’ve been the better side in fairness

1 Like

Looks like a great night for the far right in Ireland as their team is set to achieve a famous home victory.

1 Like

Who is the left winger for Ivory Coast? Brilliant second half.

That’s a lovely stadium. Looks like the Docklands Stadium in Melbourne. Is the Ivory Coast a big cricket or Aussie Rules nation?

Make up yer minds lads

2 Likes

There’s one more chance in this you’d feel for Nigeria. They’ve looked toothless enough all night though.

Some block there by the Ivory Coast lad. Paul McGrath-esque.

Congrats to the Cote d’Ivoire TFK contingent. Some eruption at fulltime.

1 Like

This reminds me of when I was watching the African Nations Cup (as it was then called) final on January 26th, 1992 in the Bohemian bar with me oul’ fella and the late, great Arthur Murphy (not of Mailbag). We had been inside in the park to see Derry beat Bohs 2-1 shortly earlier. The final was Ivory Coast v Ghana. It was 0-0 and went to penalties. There was an oul’ fella there who said he’d served in the military in Ghana. “Good soldiers” he said. He was up for Ghana. I was up for Ivory Coast, because they had Ireland’s flag in reverse. Ivory Coast won something like 11-10 in an absolute beauty of a penalty competition. I got another Coca-Cola as a result.

And Ivory Coast are the champions again!

The Nigerians were at panic stations in injury time, plenty of opportunities to take the ball down on their chest in dangerous areas but were determined to head it on aimlessly in the hope of a lucky deflection.

Glory Cote D’ivore. They encapsulated the entertaining nature of AFCON with their madcap tournament.

2 Likes

It wasn’t easy but our famous resilience saw us through. Big thanks to President Ouattara for making this happen

The chap whose name I can’t quite remember who is a sort of quasi-African football correspondent for Second Captains (Olushina something or other) said it has been the best AFCON (I love that abbreviation) of all time. He’s Nigerian and was very confident of winning the final.

Great to hear the great Mark Gleeson on commentary for the 15 minutes or so I had that final on in the background on my computer. The oracle of African football.

Plenty there tonight for Caulfield to look at bringing in early next week anyways

Adebayor :joy: