All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

Bite the bullet lads, the provinces are an anachronism, three divisions, two up, two down, an All Ireland final weekend, Division 3 and Division 2 final in Croker on the Saturday, the Division 1 on Sunday.

or some variation on that

1 Like

Strong performance from Secretary McAvoy there. Talking a lot of sense.

With regard to Proposal A, one thing he mentioned that I hadn’t seen or heard referenced anywhere else is that each team would have a chance to compete for their own provincial title.

As regards Ulster teams, the two lowest placed teams from the League would play off to see who competes in Ulster, with the loser going into Connacht.

In Leinster, you would have three ties drawn between the six lowest placed teams in the League, with the three losers entering Munster or Connacht.

Then you would have two round robin groups of four in each province with the winners of each meeting in the provincial finals.

@myboywoolie got fairly shredded by the Ulster Sec Brian McAvoy on the plan B championship proposals on his pod.
I’d say it’ll be defeated by the suits and we will plough on as is

I’d say its done alright. And rightly so. We need the provincial councils.

He made a few good points against it in fairness. But tis grand saying that in Ulster where the champ actually works ok

There’s no way this nonsense can go through is there?

Thanks to twitter for the heads up

1 Like

How did they know I was going to get involved?

“An absolutely full Casement, an absolutely full, rammed Newbridge.”

For Kildare v Division 4 Antrim.

“You’re filling Croker with teams from Division 3 and Division 4.”

What. Planet. Is. This. Man. Living. On.

Talking about ‘high summer’ too when all these games will be done and dusted by end of May.

Its crazy how stupid people are. They’d buy into anything.

Option B is a cod

1 Like

The set up of the league has already caused a massive divide in std between Div 1 and the rest. This monstrosity will will frank it and make the gap between the permanent Div 1 sides and the rest ever wider. The matches between Div 1 and the rest will be epic blood lettings.Can they not see this? This is good?

1 Like

Gave the GAA Hour podcast a listen there.

Can someone please pick Wooly up off the floor? I’ve rarely heard such an evisceration in radio. Yer man from Ulster is a fair operator.

He gave him some bating

Wooly gives yer man McAvoy a good grilling in fairness. Better than his old buddy Gilroy anyway. The more I hear this discussed it needs to get a chance.

Haha only read this after I posted about it. Amazing how your own perspective colours how you think the debate went. I thought he called your man out lovely ‘were you against the split season, were you against the qualifiers’

The main objections seem to be it will devalue the Ulster championship and it will lose money. The answer to the first one is that will now be one of only two cups to win and will be at least as important as the league has been. And also there will be so many games they will make at least as much money. Basically you won’t know till you try it. The players are some of the key stakeholders and they are all for it it seems. My hope is that it would give a shot in the arm to inter county football which almost everyone agrees on tfk and beyond is a dying entity in 80pc of the country.

Sure Woolie was making up things towards the end, claiming Tyrone v Dublin in 2019 was sold out when it wasn’t and that there were 5000 at the Cork v Roscommon game the same day when there was less than half that.

2 Likes

There was 15k at that game what’s the capacity of Healy park?

Your man was honest about both.

The split season isn’t exactly perfect when you have All Ireland Finals in July and most of the Championship over in May but it at least has a load of advantages like defined dates, access to players etc.

Wooly and Gilroy and these fellas seem to think Tipp v Limerick or Laois v Westmeath in the League/Championship will get 15 or 20k at them :grinning: Its pie in the sky stuff. Nobody will care.

Yer man from Ulster understands the way it works.

2 Likes

Sleety showers in a four fifths empty Pearse Stadium for the highly anticipated meeting of Galway and Offaly on Matchday 2 on the afternoon of Sunday the 10th of April.

High summer.