All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

I don’t know but there was 16,200 at the game in 2018 so that would be roughly it.

Most games will be shite and no one care. Sounds familiar to be honest.
The ‘high summer’ point is fair enough tbh and one the anti crowd should be making more clearly.

1000 off a full house is in gaa terms ‘a full house’ in fairness. It’s a huge crowd for a dead rubber game is the point he was making and it is.

I think all that states is Healy Park is a very small stadium for a clash of two of the biggest teams in the game.

It’s a 16k capacity stadium, with 2 of the 4 All-Ireland semi-finalists playing, and it was 1000 short of selling out. The 2500 in Cork the same day would be a more realistic figure for the majority of games played, a very optimistic figure for some of them.

It depends what you think shite is.

Just as an example I have attended Tipp football championship games v Mayo x2, Galway, Kerry x2, Armagh, Tyrone and Cork in the last 5 or 6 years. Even going back to playing Dublin in Croke Park in 2010. Those games all had a sense of meaning about them. You were watching Clifford/Keegan/Cooper/Cavanagh/Brogan etc up close in games of importance. I wouldn’t consider any of those games as really bad occasions.

Attending Tipp football games vs the the likes of Limerick/Leitrim/Carlow etc. in this League/Championship format thing for the next 5 or 6 years isn’t very appealing. I couldn’t see myself going to any of those games to be honest.

4 Likes

Ah look it’s all your own personal perspective really and you seem a massive sports fan. I know most gaa people in most counties have less and less interest in the inter county game. And the same goes for the players. I think something new is at least worth a try.

1 Like

The trouble is to begin with the game is now an utter eyesore for the majority of games. The hand pass is killing the game as a spectacle

Division 4 next year is:
Tipperary
Cavan
Sligo
Leitrim
Carlow
Waterford
Wexford
London

Tipperary’s fixture list might be as follows:

Munster round robin
January 30 Waterford A
February 6 Kerry H
February 13 Limerick A
February 27 Cork H
March 6 Clare A

Championship Division 4
April 3 Carlow H
April 10 Wexford A
April 17 London H
April 24 Cavan A
May 8 Sligo H
May 15 Leitrim A
May 22 Waterford H

Fairly bleak looking stuff.

Of course there’s always the prestigious Tailteann Cup after that.

1 Like

This is not true. Gaelic football as a sport is in a very good state and is very attractive to watch when played well.

Agreed

If you lose your first 2 games in Division 3/4, it’s a pretty long wait around for the Tailteann Cup.

Woudn’t surprise me if there’s a load of walkovers in the lower divisions.

Yeah. I mean why would you bother when you’ve five meaningless league matches ahead of you and a meaningless cup competition after that. Easier ways to live.

They’ll also more than likely win that league and have a knock out game against a div 2 team for a place in the all Ireland quarter final.

In a normal year it might be as above for the league. Then championship v cork then qualifier v Westmeath then out.

New one looks better tbh.

1 Like

Games gone

1 Like

If Tipp win their Division 4, they’d likely play Galway, Meath, Cork or Derry, who would be primed by playing in a much higher standard competition. They’d likely face complete wipe out.

And that will be the case for the Division 4 winners going forward, whoever they are.

Then the Division 2 team that beat them would face complete wipe out in the All-Ireland quarter-final against a top 3 opponent.

For the likes of a Mayo being in division 2 may be more beneficial than division 1. They’d cruise into the top 3 in div 2 but would regularly be under pressure to finish high up the top tier. The mid to late 00’s was a golden period for the football championship and we didn’t even realise it at the time. Attendances were massive at Leinster championship games.

Pillars primadonna panzers were box office

1 Like

The 2005 semi-final and final against Wexford and Laois were tremendous games. Then the cliffhanger draw with Tyrone. I have memories of an all-Ireland style pitch invasion after the Leinster final against Laois? Mossy Quinn with the last minute winner?

Think you could be right. I’d a few quid on Wexford +6 in that game you mentioned. Rooney and Higgins of Laois were mugged off royally with their sledging as the Dubs pointed and let the scoreboard do the talking

1 Like