All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

Fuck off out of here with the hurling talk lads.

Thanks

4 Likes

What harm is it doing mate?

Cuala and now Kilmacud are very good. Dublin champs only team who might give Ballyhale a rattle. Rest miles off it.

Wouldn’t say Kilmacud are very good just yet. Were poor for the majority of the final

Maybe not but will be very strong in a couple of years.

Why is that?

Ok guys.

Can anyone confirm the way the backdoor will work next year?

I know the Div 3/4 teams are meant to be entering the Tailteann Cup thing. I know there’s some leeway here between the Div 3 promoted teams and Div 2 relegated teams but for the moment let’s go on the basis that it’s only Div 1 and 2 teams involved in the Championship proper.

Let’s say the current 4 Provincial Champs regain their titles next season. These 4 automatically advance to the quarters.

Dublin, Kerry, Mayo, Tyrone.

Looking at the draw, I would guess the following Div 1/2 ​teams go out in the prelim/QF stage in their provinces:

Galway, Offaly, Armagh, Derry, Down

Normally these sides would enter R1 of the qualifiers:

Next you would have the teams eliminated at the semi final stage of their provinces, I’ll guess the following Div 1/2 teams:

Cork, Meath, Monaghan

Normally they would enter R2 of the qualifiers

Next up you’d have the beaten provincial finalists which I’d guess the Div 1/2 teams would be:

Roscommon, Clare, Kildare, Donegal

Normally they would enter R4 of the qualifiers.

So how will it now work. It’s hard to predict at what stage these teams will exit, in the above scenario it works out ok as you could merge the beaten provincial prelim/QF/SF teams for the first round as they amount to 8 teams.

I hope that any draw will redress provincial inadequacies, so that teams from the same province are prevented from meeting each other until they can no longer be separated.

In the above scenario the 8 teams entering round 1 would be:

Armagh, Derry, Down, Monaghan (all Ulster)
Meath, Offaly (Leinster)
Cork (Munster)
Galway (Connacht)

So that could likely leave a draw of

Armagh v Cork
Derry v Meath
Down v Galway
Monaghan v Offaly

So we’ll say the 4 bolded teams progress

R2 could then be:

Armagh v Clare
Derry v Roscommon
Galway v Donegal
Monaghan v Kildare

So the last 8 would then have one all provincial clash as it’s unavoidable, had say Galway beaten Donegal then you’d like to see Galway and Mayo separated in the AI series.

I enjoy this guys musings on Twitter. His knowledge is extraordinary. Reminds me of myself in many ways.

He has referenced James O’Donoghue for Kerry, I would be surprised if James makes it back to a kerry match day 26

1 Like

Will Stefan okunbur make the starting team?

He’s a complete oddball

1 Like

Supposedly struggling with the transition back. Not starring yet for Na Gaeil

I have my doubts, far from a banker

He must be a sales rep or a teacher so is he?

Very few footballers tend to make the breakthrough before 22/23 with most big counties. Horan tbf does have a knack of it with Mayo but Kerry have only really done it with Clifford and O’Shea there.

Takes a long time to get up to the physicality required for most at IC level nowadays.

Apparently he was imperious during the trials, by far the stand out.

Who was?

Sam Callinan from Ballina

Is he just off the u20s this year?

Much new blood in the Mayo ranks? They could do with unearthing a few scorers or crafty half forwards as the defence seems pretty solid.

Guys like Walsh, McHale, Loftus, AOS don’t seem like the type of player you can be carrying to an AI final.

If Doherty can come back anything close to what he was pre-injury he’d be a huge addition.