All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

The GAA are planning to publicly announce squads on the Fridays before senior championship matches from next year onward.

Counties are currently instructed to provide team sheets to the relevant organising body for match programme purposes no later than 9am on the Thursday before a weekend fixture.

However, several counties communicate their line-ups with the proviso that they are not to be issued to the public until they themselves publish them. When they do, a number don’t include their 11 substitutes.

The GAA are to release the team and substitute lists more than 24 hours before the first matches as a means of promoting the games as well as cutting out the possibility of leaks.

It is envisaged the move might prompt counties to announce their line-ups before Friday. The Thursday morning registration, which prevents counties from making 11th-hour changes to their squad unless in an emergency, was voted in at Congress in Páraic Duffy’s time as director-general as a way of combatting dummy teams.

Penalties for not providing the 26-man list included the withdrawal of sideline privileges for the manager for one match and a fine of up to €1,000 for the county board.

Forfeiture is the punishment for fielding a player who has not been registered on the list provided to the referee.

The lack of consideration in the rules for late injuries and sickness has been regularly condemned by managers and there have been some instances where less than 26 players have been available as the deadline for personnel changes had passed and injured men have togged out with no intention of being used.

Match regulations state for non senior inter-county championship games the teams are to be issued to the committee in charge for the official programme and media four days before the game although it is rarely respected, while for league games, the home county must receive team selection from the visitors no later than Wednesday prior to the fixture.

For Saturday games, several of the leading counties in both codes make their team disclosures the night previous

What a load of nonsense.

I personally enjoy the late changes to the teamsheets before the game.

They can be great GOTCHA moments.

It works in international football because the players are still playing games with their clubs in between. It’s a nightmare having months between club championship games when 99% of players won’t be playing during the inter county season

Far more lads from Tyrone playing a higher level of association football than lads from Sligo.

Good association football pedigree in Tyrone. McShane scored a goal in the Milk Cup against Man Utd in his youth, PJ Lavery was with Dungannon Swifts for a bit, Colm McCullagh played for Omagh Town and Newry City, Morgan was also with the Swifts for a while, Ruairi Sludden (Niall’s brother) was on the Tyrone panel a couple of years ago is playing with Ballinamallard now and no longer playing for Dromore and plenty other examples. The likes of McGinn, Bradley etc all would have played GAA underage.

I, of course won a Bob Radcliffe Cup winner and pursued that over a GAA career. I’m happy with my choice but it was not really feasible to do both.

1 Like

You could definitely implement such a system in the GAA.

What would be actually needed to implement it is more centralisation of the fixtures list - compulsory club championship matches played in these windows, and severe penalties being introduced for counties who breach the fixtures list, ie. county champions are disqualified from the provincial championships.

Clipping the wings of inter-county managers would be a pleasant side effect.

Coagh United?

Nope.

the only other one is tandragee

There’s plenty of other teams who have won the Bob Radcliffe Cup. Your two guesses are incorrect.

But are you suggesting these 2 week windows as 2 Championship games followed by a month or 2 off and another 2 weeks? That’s a nightmare scenario for club players

You said winner - you only won it once.

Dungannon swifts reserves is the only other team that won it once in the timeframe

What timeframe?

I don’t think you understand association football very well. You don’t spend your career at the one club, I played for over 10 different clubs in my career. We didn’t have a local team as such.

1 Like

I don’t think you understand how time works mate

More obfuscation from Estedban.

Can you clarify the timeframe you are referring to?

the time you would have been playing soccer

Well that is very vague.

And what’s soccer?

more obfuscation from Fulvio

I’m not obfuscating, I am endeavouring to get you to clarify what is you mean and you’re just being dismissive and vague as usual.

I made a post yesterday about winning these debates by defaults as guy like you wade in with some assertion and run away when you’re challenged about putting some meat on it.

The last time we had a debate on here you demanded me answer questions that you asked which I obliged but felt outraged that I should expect the same from you. I think it was mere optics as you had little conviction in the position of your argument.

so it was Dungannon Swifts reserves, thanks for not being vague, you’re a great chap