All-Ireland Football Championship 2022

Would Derry celebrate in Derry City tonight or would it be to some town in South of the county?

I was up there last summer during the COVID staycation and was told Derry city is the only show in town

Wattys mate

1 Like

GAA is growing in Derry city, some great facilities built recently. Steelstown are current All-Ireland intermediate champions and had a lad come on as a sub today, don’t know if there has ever been a Derry city lad on the field of play in an Ulster final before. But all the celebrations will be in the east of the county.

1 Like

Tom McGuinness, brother of you know who

Paddy?

1 Like

I checked this - in fact Kerry only led 4-9 to 0-6 at the break having played into a strong breeze.

I’d say it’s actually the first time ever. Amazing given Kildare are probably a top ten team.

Who knows, maybe it is the first time a team has scored five goals in the first half of a championship match in Gaelic football.

But Kildare conceded seven goals in the second half of the 2015 All-Ireland quarter-final against Kerry.

You could argue this but I think conceding seven goals in the second half is more disspriting than conceding five in the first half.

I’m surprised Fagan didn’t mention this but the half time score in the 1959 Munster hurling semi-final was Waterford 8-2 (Eight-Two) Tipperary 0-0 (Zero-Zero). Tipperary were the reigning All-Ireland champions.

Perhaps he didn’t mention it because the inevitable follow up point is that Waterford conceded five goals to Tipperary in the first half of the 2011 Munster final.

1 Like

I thought the query was restricted to Gaelic Football to be honest. I’d say it’s happened many times in the hurling. The two you’ve mentioned of course. Interestingly that time Cork scored 10 goals against Laois they only got three in the first half.

I’ve played in Gaelic football matches where my own marker alone scored 4-2 in the first half.
(The two footed fit little ginger cnut)

6 Likes

4-13 to 0-8 at ht in the infamous Kk demolition of Westmeath in 1982. 7-31 to 1-13 at full time.

I doubt it has happened too many times. Things like that tend to stick out in memory or folk memory. I don’t doubt that it probably has happened a few more times than in the football. Probably in Kilkenny v Laois matches or things like that.

The Miltown Malbay massacre was mentioned but it’s less remembered that Kerry stuck 5-16 past Clare in Ennis in the Munster football championship in 1991. Clare beat them the following year.

Mayo scored four first half goals against Sligo in 2015 but I’m struggling to think of many other possible contenders.

Meath beat Carlow something like 7-13 to 0-5 maybe 7 or 8 years ago. Might be a contender. Can’t recall when the goals went in though.

4-7 to 0-17 the time Cork beat Antrim 7-11 to 1-24 in 1986.

1 Like

3-6 to 0-2 ht.

1 Like

Meath also put seven goals past Wicklow in the 2020 Covid championship but again only three were in the first half.

You just can’t let a corner back do that to you

1 Like

I have a cousin who once scored 8 goals in an u16 hurling match

We beat a team 27-3 to 0-0 once in u12 hurling. One of the lads got 10-1

I knew some wag would be along with that. :grimacing: